NHL 2014-2015 Season

When I think of dirty players I think of head hunters like Matt Cooke, Dan Carcillo, Steve Downie (who unfortunately is playing for my Pens now). I think Orpik and Kronwall have a bad reputation in part because they hit often and hit hard, yet they dont fight.

to me they are a big part of what is wrong with that leage, with the names you listed. But then again, I know my opinions about hockey are not popular around here

to me they are a big part of what is wrong with that leage, with the names you listed. But then again, I know my opinions about hockey are not popular around here

It's hard to really police that style of hockey the way they used to... Back in the day when you had to answer for a questionable hit from the other team's enforcer. Now, you make that hit and it's defined as "a part of the game" and the onus on the player for having his head down etc.

I'll agree with someone saying the idiot who turns his back to the forechecker at the last second only to get destroyed from behind is at fault, but hardly the guy in a vulnerable position receiving a questionable pass or admiring his pass. There's a very fine line between reminding someone to pay attention, and trying to take him out for the season or his career. I'd put kronwall on the latter group of hitting douchery. It's ugly hockey.

I think more teams should be doing curling in the offseason!

It's hard to really police that style of hockey the way they used to... Back in the day when you had to answer for a questionable hit from the other team's enforcer. Now, you make that hit and it's defined as "a part of the game" and the onus on the player for having his head down etc.

I'll agree with someone saying the idiot who turns his back to the forechecker at the last second only to get destroyed from behind is at fault, but hardly the guy in a vulnerable position receiving a questionable pass or admiring his pass. There's a very fine line between reminding someone to pay attention, and trying to take him out for the season or his career. I'd put kronwall on the latter group of hitting douchery. It's ugly hockey.

I agree to most of that actually, when near the board, you know you might get hit, and there are only so many directions the checker can com from, so most hits from there are tolerable, unless there is a charging involved of course, but thats for another debate. where I see the real danger is on open ice hits, at full speed (which is where kronwall "excells"), how many times do we see players getting hit blinsided after the pass was made... that to me is ridiculous

I can't stand kronwall. Crazy reckless in his hits despite constantly falling on the 'clean' side of the league criteria on otherwise dirty hits to vulnerable players.

I'd say Orpik falls into a similar category, however I'd gladly buy him a steak dinner before kronwall. One of those guys you hate to play against, but favour when he's a part of your org I guess.

Not a fan of either one. They love to catch a guy when he's not expecting it and if the guy is in a normal skating posture they're going to catch it on the chin. Look at Orpik's hit on Erikkson. It was legal but dirty. Thornton went too far because Orpik wouldn't back it up. I didn't feel bad for Orpik at all. I agree with Martin, they're scumbags. They hit to hurt and get away with it.

I agree to most of that actually, when near the board, you know you might get hit, and there are only so many directions the checker can com from, so most hits from there are tolerable, unless there is a charging involved of course, but thats for another debate. where I see the real danger is on open ice hits, at full speed (which is where kronwall "excells"), how many times do we see players getting hit blinsided after the pass was made... that to me is ridiculous

Yeah, charging is brutal, but if you're nearly up against the boards, the way those things give anymore, bracing for the hit = barely feeling it. Rather, these ding dongs defend with their numbers or turn and get obliterated.. A totally different form of cowardly hockey.

To the blindsiding, absolutely. It's split second decision making, but there has to be some form of decency when it's obvious a player won't see it coming. Drop the shoulder, step into him, and watch him fly. Rather, these morons are using their hands, hitting upwards, and trying to make the nightly news.

Take those two hits out of hockey, and it's 10x better.

Not a fan of either one. They love to catch a guy when he's not expecting it and if the guy is in a normal skating posture they're going to catch it on the chin. Look at Orpik's hit on Erikkson. It was legal but dirty. Thornton went too far because Orpik wouldn't back it up. I didn't feel bad for Orpik at all. I agree with Martin, they're scumbags. They hit to hurt and get away with it.

I think they need to address intent to injure again. Provide CLEAR examples to the teams, and tell them they won't be favoured in rulings when the player doesn't see a hit coming, and it's malicious on film. Yeah, the league is going to see a bit less hitting because of it, but who cares? This isn't National Checking League, it's the National HOCKEY league.

Yeah, charging is brutal, but if you're nearly up against the boards, the way those things give anymore, bracing for the hit = barely feeling it. Rather, these ding dongs defend with their numbers or turn and get obliterated.. A totally different form of cowardly hockey.

To the blindsiding, absolutely. It's split second decision making, but there has to be some form of decency when it's obvious a player won't see it coming. Drop the shoulder, step into him, and watch him fly. Rather, these morons are using their hands, hitting upwards, and trying to make the nightly news.

Take those two hits out of hockey, and it's 10x better.

I think players protected themselves better in the past too. You watch old game footage and players didn't go along the boards and turn their back completely. You kept your head up. You dangled it too much and you paid for it. Don't admire your pass. I will say that the speed and skill level today also has something to do with the hits.

I think they need to address intent to injure again. Provide CLEAR examples to the teams, and tell them they won't be favoured in rulings when the player doesn't see a hit coming, and it's malicious on film. Yeah, the league is going to see a bit less hitting because of it, but who cares? This isn't National Checking League, it's the National HOCKEY league.
Agreed. I think in the past the league has had many chances to address it but have failed to. There are many examples of players that should have been suspended for the season but the league caved and only gave a handful of games.

I think players protected themselves better in the past too. You watch old game footage and players didn't go along the boards and turn their back completely. You kept your head up. You dangled it too much and you paid for it. Don't admire your pass. I will say that the speed and skill level today also has something to do with the hits.

I bet a big part of that was a lack of discipline from the league, but I can't speak in particulars.. Nowadays, guys expect the rulebook to protect them, with video evidence and the wheel of destiny reigning supreme over all. Back in the days you either kept your head up or you paid for it... I remember starting out as a kid being told that constantly.

I bet a big part of that was a lack of discipline from the league, but I can't speak in particulars.. Nowadays, guys expect the rulebook to protect them, with video evidence and the wheel of destiny reigning supreme over all. Back in the days you either kept your head up or you paid for it... I remember starting out as a kid being told that constantly.

The league has proven it can't protect the players and they have made it so players can't police anything themselves anymore with the instigator. I stopped playing a couple years ago and I never relied on the rulebook to protect me, even in the beer leagues. I kept my head up and knew where my opponents were all the time. Probably why I rarely scored :)

I was never a goalie, but have always been infatuated with how they design their masks!
PacmanMask-1024x727.png

Wow great mask

My favorite part of that mask is the hologram Wild Wing logo on the sides. That and its for John Gibson, true American hero!

Ordered my 10 game mini plan today for the Avs. Got some real good games to go to this year.

Ordered my 10 game mini plan today for the Avs. Got some real good games to go to this year.

Avs are an exciting team . Went to the Sabres game when they came to Buffalo. They gonna miss Stastny?

I like what what Roy did with your Avs, and I doubt they will miss stastny that much with the addition of Briere and Iginla

I like what what Roy did with your Avs, and I doubt they will miss stastny that much with the addition of Briere and Iginla
I'm hoping that holds true.

Avs are an exciting team . Went to the Sabres game when they came to Buffalo. They gonna miss Stastny?

Hopefully Iginla>Stastny

They need to improve on D as they allowed way to many shots on goal this last year. Varly cant be expected to stop 40 every night.

It's a good thing he's good at hockey!

NHL Network vintage games on now. 1996 World Cup of Hockey Canada vs. USA so many great hockey players from the 90s

Back