The Rickie Fowler Thread

I've never really cared for Ricky, he's just always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I think most of it was the style (don't care for what he used to do, still hate the flat-brim), and the fact he was all hype, and no results. He would do just enough to show some promise and get his name in the paper, but would fade back at crunch time.

After the Open and getting to watch him most of the weekend, my opinion has changed. He seems to have transformed into more business than flash. He could have folded and let Rory run away, but he kept the pressure on and shot 5 under on Sunday of a major. He was going to need help to win and didn't get it, but he did his part and put himself in position. That shows me a lot of maturity and drive to get better.

And as an added bonus to me, he got rid of the orange pants. I know he is honoring OSU with the orange. I get that, I can respect that. I've just always thought it was a bit overdone with the orange on orange every week. They have other colors to wear. If he wants that to be his thing (which I have no issue with), like Tiger and the Sunday red, at least switch it up a bit. He could go with orange/white/orange (shirt/pant/shoes), white/orange/white, black/orange/black, orange/black/orange, white/black/orange, etc., etc. There are many combinations to be had that can get the OSU colors included without doing the creamsicle look every week. I haven't watched much golf this year, so maybe he's already started doing it, but at least this past week was a step in the right direction for me.

Rickie is not going to be close to Tiger in terms of marketing if he stays with Puma. It just doesn't have the same brand power as Nike in the US.
Tiger brought legitimacy to Nike Golf, so I'd say Tiger did more for Nike in the golf arena than Nike did for Tiger. I think Rickie could do the same for Puma.

Tiger brought legitimacy to Nike Golf, so I'd say Tiger did more for Nike in the golf arena than Nike did for Tiger. I think Rickie could do the same for Puma.

Tiger may have brought legitimacy to Nike golf, but Nike helped Tiger become who he is outside of golf. Puma can't do that for Rickie.

People are forgetting how big PUMA is worldwide. They are the 3rd largest sportswear company in the world behind Nike and adidas. In fact adidas is actually larger than Nike (as of June, 14) in Europe and PUMA is close behind.

They have plenty of clout and money.

Tiger may have brought legitimacy to Nike golf, but Nike helped Tiger become who he is outside of golf. Puma can't do that for Rickie.

People are forgetting how big PUMA is worldwide. They are the 3rd largest sportswear company in the world behind Nike and adidas. In fact adidas is actually larger than Nike (as of June, 14) in Europe and PUMA is close behind.

Have to agree with JB here.

Futbol > Golf

Maybe world wide, but they still don't hold NEAR the clout here in the US, where Fowler plays the majority of his golf.

Maybe world wide, but they still don't hold NEAR the clout here in the US, where Fowler plays the majority of his golf.
Which is why having Rickie on board is a great move for them. They've tied up in contract the individual who could become the face of American golf. And with that, we've come full circle.

I think the guy on the radio a couple of days ago was spot on ... no point in comparing to Tiger because there will only ever be one Tiger. But who, from a marketability standpoint, is the face of golf for the American audience for the upcoming generation. The individual with the inside track could very well be Rickie.

Ive got an idea, lets ask Rickie why.

Ok State golf, home of 120 all Americans ..........most of any universities by nearly 2x.

Rickie wore orange and black on past Sunday another OSU tribute combo.

Looking forward to him winning a major.

Ive got an idea, lets ask Rickie why.

Ok State golf, home of 120 all Americans ..........most of any universities by nearly 2x.

Rickie wore orange and black on past Sunday another OSU tribute combo.

Huh? Everyone in here has acknowledged the orange started with OSU and his alleigiance there, they were simply debating if it has evolved beyond that, which I think it has, its his Sunday thing more than its a tribute to OSU now IMO.

Also, it was orange and gray if we're being specific. :alien:

Looked like black pants on my tv, sounds like I need a new TV!

I think he wears orange for the same reason now as when he started because I haven't heard say other wise.

his game was strong in college but his back wouldn't hold up with his old swing, he is on the right track and adopted the new swing as his own rapidly even under final round last group at a major pressure. His putting is much stronger too and he is avoiding the big number tendency which was killing him earlier.

I like to pick on ol' Rickie, but man he's playing great golf lately. He's fun to watch.

The kid is playing some good consistent golf. I really want to see this kid succeed.

You and me both. We're starting to see more and more confidence I think.

I think signin on with Butch as a coach could go down as the most important move in his entire career.

I think signin on with Butch as a coach could go down as the most important move in his entire career.

It was smart, so so so so smart IMO.

It was smart, so so so so smart IMO.
I wonder if he thought that he could get along on his own with no real coaching after his long time swing coach passed in 11? He won in late 11 overseas, then played great golf in early 12 with a win and contended in a several others. And then started a long, slow slide through the end of 12 and basically all of 13. Or was it a matter of just finding someone who would work with what he had and tweak it and not completely change it like Foley and some of the others want to? I also read something shortly after he signed on with Butch that made it sound like he equipment was all out of whack. Like he driver spin in the 3,200 range with a 9 LA, and 50 something degree DA. It was terrible and all I could think was, "is how has he gotten so far off on his equipment? Is cobra not giving him any tour stop support?" but then i got to thinking, if no one is working with him and looking at numbers, i can see how he is so far off.

I wonder if he thought that he could get along on his own with no real coaching after his long time swing coach passed in 11? He won in late 11 overseas, then played great golf in early 12 with a win and contended in a several others. And then started a long, slow slide through the end of 12 and basically all of 13. Or was it a matter of just finding someone who would work with what he had and tweak it and not completely change it like Foley and some of the others want to? I also read something shortly after he signed on with Butch that made it sound like he equipment was all out of whack. Like he driver spin in the 3,200 range with a 9 LA, and 50 something degree DA. It was terrible and all I could think was, "is how has he gotten so far off on his equipment? Is cobra not giving him any tour stop support?" but then i got to thinking, if no one is working with him and looking at numbers, i can see how he is so far off.
To me it's just amazing that he was able to compete with his game/talent. I know talent will only get you so far, but dang he's made a ton of money on talent alone.

This event really changed my opinion of Rickie's game, he's got a ton of heart and man has he come a long way. I'm a fan for sure.

Well done dude!

This event really changed my opinion of Rickie's game, he's got a ton of heart and man has he come a long way. I'm a fan for sure.

Well done dude!
He certainly showed a ton of game but also a ton of maturity today. I'm a fan that's for sure

What a year. No wins, but still, what a great freaking year for the kid.

I'll recant saying that he needed a win to push this year from good to great. He has had a great year and performed on some of the biggest stages

Well done dude!

Every major this year has changed my opinion on his game. Dude will put it all together soon and the wins will follow.

Back