Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday in the on/off rain we had here in WNY I shot a 91 (49/42). Was really a spectacular round for me, had a few chances at birdies and was just hitting things solid. If I can sort out my short putt woes I'll be inching into the 80's. Played 9 last week too and shot a 46, so here's to things looking up!
Also been using ProV1's and TM Lethal's now, love both equally. They fit me very well and help in all aspects of my game.

Last edited:
I'm still going backwards. Played a 9 in steady rain. Put up a 59. Started off double, triple, quad, quad, triple. Horrible. I think I am putting too much pressure on myself. More range time and more efforts to bring range to course and course to range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played Farmstead here just north of Myrtle beach, shot 48 front 9 and a 50 on the back. Crazy thing is I shot par on #18 the 679 yard par 6.

Nicely done!

I'm out tomorrow in an attempt for back to back sub 100 rounds, took 95 last time with a back 9 of 42, swing easy!!

For the past few weeks, I've been shooting +105, the swing went crap and shanks we're had on every hole.
After a lesson with the local pro, I shortened the swing and the day before yesterday we had a competition: 52/45=97!

9 straight bogeys on the back 9 and 1.76 putts avg overall. Started thinking about bogeys instead of par, helped me an awfull lot! (I rely on my short game/putting a lot!)

I'm still going backwards. Played a 9 in steady rain. Put up a 59. Started off double, triple, quad, quad, triple. Horrible. I think I am putting too much pressure on myself. More range time and more efforts to bring range to course and course to range.

This was me today. One week after my season best 93, and one day after I had a practice-round hole-in-one (4th try on a 100 yd par 3, but it was still neat to see the ball go in from the tee box!), I had a completel & utter fail - especially on the back nine. Shot a 108 (49 + 59) with 9 OB penalty shots. I think I was trying too hard. I think it's tougher for me to do well when my expectations rise. This was a humbling experience.

Yeah, it's all about tempo. The harder I try, the harder I swing, the more things go wrong. If you try to overcorrect and go too easy, things can backfire just as much.

I've seriously been trying to adopt a zen attitude on the golf course and just make a nice 80% swing. Focusing on tempo the last two rounds has helped, and I hope it carries over from this point forward. Once I learn how to properly get off the tee, I hope I can leave this thread behind and focus on breaking 90.

I'm not playing 18 for a couple weeks, but I have a few 9 holes coming up. I have a lesson today (first in 2 months) and 9 on Thursday, Saturday and next Tuesday. Hoping to break 49 at LEAST once, but 2 out of 3 would be great. I scored 52 last time out, so we'll see.

What are you guys working on when at the practice range?

Always the basics: grip, posture, alignment.
And I try to take my time for each ball: practice swings and lining up and playing the shot as if I was on the course: consistency doesn't come by itself and expecting consistent results means doing things consistently.

Since my last lesson I'm working on a shorter backswing: keeping the flex in my right knee and not collapsing my arms and wrists at the top of my backswing...

What are you guys working on when at the practice range?

Basics always, as stated above. I also take a maximum 3 shots at a time per club to simulate actual play. You don't hit 10 drivers in a row at the course so you shouldn't on the range. Simulate a round (example: Driver wedge. Hybrid 5 iron)and so on.

Yeah, it's all about tempo. The harder I try, the harder I swing, the more things go wrong. If you try to overcorrect and go too easy, things can backfire just as much.

I've seriously been trying to adopt a zen attitude on the golf course and just make a nice 80% swing. Focusing on tempo the last two rounds has helped, and I hope it carries over from this point forward. Once I learn how to properly get off the tee, I hope I can leave this thread behind and focus on breaking 90.

Yeah, I tried that during the second nine when the wheels came off (3 straight snowmen). Part of the problem is my swing changes are allowing me to hit it farther than usual & with a draw now. Finally on the 17th hole I settle down and hit a beautiful drive on this long 457 yard par 4 to just inside the 200 marker. I figure since my score is crap now anyway, I'll hit 3 wood, but nice & controlled, not trying to kill it - just make good contact. Which I do - and crush it about 225 on the fly to the left of the green over the 18th tee & OB. I gotta laugh, because I've never hit a 3 wood that far in my life. I try it again, because that had to be a once in a lifetime hit; same easy swing - OB left again. So I'm hitting the ball farther than ever but today I paid for it. What I need to do is head to the range & try to figure out these new distances before I do any more damage. Of course the real problem is I can't swing that way consistently yet. We'll get there sooner or later though!

Trying to Break 100

I'm having similar issues amongst others. I now hit my irons about 30 yards longer versus my old swing. I don't hit anything consistently now. One shot is the new swing (long, penetrating, and a slight draw) and next is the old swing (high, short, with fade).

Frustrating search for consistency. Off to the range I go. Good news is that I'm much more comfortable pitching and flopping. Can't chip to save my life though.

I think I'm the only guy who has dropped his scores but hasn't really increased his distances. At least my shots tend to go straighter than they used to.

I am in the same boat. Going backwards. I was consistently shooting in the 90's five years ago but didn't golf for a few years for various reasons until this year. My first round of the year was a 97 thanks to a 45 on the back but have been over 100 every other round this year. Mostly penalty shots hurting me but am finding no consistency. Finally start hitting my irons better and I completely lost my driver. Began slicing and pushing and pulling and hooking. No idea where it will go. Really looking forward to knowing where to aim on the fairway to accommodate my usual shot shape.

Cut another 3 shots off today, out in 49 and back in 43.

I agree a lot of range time helps but for some reason I just struggle to mentally accept my range swing when I'm on the course!?

I am in the same boat. Going backwards. I was consistently shooting in the 90's five years ago but didn't golf for a few years for various reasons until this year. My first round of the year was a 97 thanks to a 45 on the back but have been over 100 every other round this year. Mostly penalty shots hurting me but am finding no consistency. Finally start hitting my irons better and I completely lost my driver. Began slicing and pushing and pulling and hooking. No idea where it will go. Really looking forward to knowing where to aim on the fairway to accommodate my usual shot shape.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Last year I started breaking 100 most of the times I played golf and then in October I developed a nasty hook. Off the tee, long irons, hybrids, short irons, wedges it didn't matter. I went from shooting 94-98 to all of sudden shooting 120.

I took a lesson figured out I was setting up closed and swinging outside in. Worked on it and now I am shooting mid to upper 80's and focusing on breaking 80. Sometimes we regress and it's a good thing. Makes us focus on our fundamentals again.

What a **** show. My lesson absolutely destroyed what little confidence I had. I'm chicken winging, I'm not turning the club over, I keep moving my head....The worst part is I know what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't seem to fix it.... So discouraging.

Trying to Break 100

What a **** show. My lesson absolutely destroyed what little confidence I had. I'm chicken winging, I'm not turning the club over, I keep moving my head....The worst part is I know what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't seem to fix it.... So discouraging.

My last lesson started with me thanking my Pro for my lowest score ever and less than 100 in 4 of 5 rounds. I wanted to choke him as I passed him at the range last week. Going back next week for another lesson. He was right in what he showed me, but I haven't grooved the changes yet.

Stick in, if you know what you're doing wrong at least you know what needs to change, trying to come up with an answer when you don't even know the question is far more frustrating!!

Shot a 110. I'm fairly happy with that, considering how my swing is evolving. Not as sure about my distances as I used to be (some shots are going further than expected!) and I'm still topping a few shots as I get used to my "start from the ground" downswing (sometimes I forget and start with my arms instead of my feet and hang back with the rest of my body).

Last four rounds: 96, 93, 99 & 95. The good news is I'm hitting my average shots much better & I'm not depending on one thing (say, putting or chipping) to get the score lower. Just starting to play consistent bogey golf. For example, today's round (95) I only hit 4 fairways & 3 GIR (plus 3 other "Near GIR")and only had 3 pars - but the highest score was a 7. Didn't score with putting (36 putts - but this is deceiving because I had 6-8 long 20+ feet putts that I just missed on; so lag putting was pretty good), and chipping & pitching are usually better. I'm looking forward to keeping this up! Can't wait to play again!

So yesterday I broke 100 for the first time with a PB 94 at Pine Hills in Manorville, NY. Hit a 46/48 (but started at the 5th Hole during the shotgun) with 4 Pars, 8 Bogeys, 4 Double-Bogeys, and 2 Triple-Bogeys. I hit off the tee more consistently, didn't make a lot of blunders in the short game, and putted really well. 2 bad holes away from playing bogey golf. Played the Smart Sole C and S really well. Almost chipped one in with the C on a miss hit. S flew high and straight for me. Did not have to use it out of the sand that much.

Very happy. Told myself I would replace my 7 year old Acer XP905s with a new set of irons when I broke 100.

So yesterday I broke 100 for the first time with a PB 94 at Pine Hills in Manorville, NY. Hit a 46/48 (but started at the 5th Hole during the shotgun) with 4 Pars, 8 Bogeys, 4 Double-Bogeys, and 2 Triple-Bogeys. I hit off the tee more consistently, didn't make a lot of blunders in the short game, and putted really well. 2 bad holes away from playing bogey golf. Played the Smart Sole C and S really well. Almost chipped one in with the C on a miss hit. S flew high and straight for me. Did not have to use it out of the sand that much.

Very happy. Told myself I would replace my 7 year old Acer XP905s with a new set of irons when I broke 100.

Good job man! I did the same thing and replaced clubs after I broke 100. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back