The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some long club work and chipping and putting work tonight. Hit the XCG6 directly against my Bertha and it was quite illuminating. The Bertha launches high bombs with huge carry, while the XCG6 tends to produce mid trajectory shots with low spin and big rollout. It also seems like my miss with the XCG6 is more accurate - had one or two big misses with the Bertha, while I didn't have any real big ones with the Tour Edge. Lost a little more distance on mishits, but not as far offline.

Interesting results for now, can't wait to try it out again and see if I see the same things.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Yeah that Tour Edge is a low spin monster and that's the main reason it didn't work for me. To this day it still gave me the highest ball speeds off the face of any driver.

I had a nice little practice session yesterday. I hit about 25 balls at the range, spent a little time on the green working on lag putting / distance control and hit another 50ish pitches to a defined target. Good stuff.

Yeah that Tour Edge is a low spin monster and that's the main reason it didn't work for me. To this day it still gave me the highest ball speeds off the face of any driver.

Definitely - it doesn't help you get the ball up a whole lot. Interesting to me that my miss isn't as off line with that low spin though - usually low spin heads aren't great at keeping sidespin down (ahem SLDR). I have had one other exception though in the XTD, which incidentally is a driver that the XCG6 reminds me of somewhat.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Had two separate sessions today, both of which had some decent moments.

I hit a small bucket at the range, and I was so busy just trying to think of the things I was given to work on that I neglected a few other aspects of the swing, especially maintaining the triangle back. About halfway through the bucket I realized it, and from there on out my shots were struck a lot better and carried a lot further. I knew I wasn't going to have good ball flight when working on minor changes, but I wasn't expecting a 120 yard 7i!

After dinner I went out in the backyard to my chipping range, aka 2 hula hoops set up 15 yards apart. I was doing kind of OK, until I started bringing the club back with just my wrists, and then adding in a bit of arm swing, letting the clubhead do the work. My shots started landing a lot softer after that, with better dispersion. The best part of that session was taking the shoulder alignment tip the pro gave me to the short game - my pitches no longer all went left! Very happy with that.

New Mat, New Net....

Why not hit a bunch of balls into it?

I did!

Wedges wedges wedges. Hitting foam practice balls all over my neighborhood from different lies to different distances. Just trying to hit them flush. Chips, pitches, and putting are the things I can work on that will help my game the most (duh). I am really liking these new Cleveland 588 cb wedges.

We got a new High Definition Golf simulator at our Range / Training facility at my home course (American Lake). It has like four cameras from different angles. Besides all the pertinent data like swing Speed, Ball Speed, Smash factor, Distance, Launch angle, etc...., it give a whole host of useful data... max Bend Min Bend, Acceleration, angle, swing plane and on an on. It told me when I hit with the toe or heel or sweet spot. And it created a video of my swing and pointed out where I was missing the mark... like releasing my hips too soon and even though my swing plane was on target, my ball drew to the left x%. I could see it on screen and in the numbers; and I could see the change as I corrected the problem(s). It also pointed out how releasing too soon was closing my club face, as much as 5.8% closed , causing the draw. Besides the data, actually seeing yourself do it as the data came on screen is absolutely priceless.

I've added 2 hours a week of simulator analysis to my lessons schedule. And, what is really cool is I can take a MaleMotives.avi video file of my session home with me. to review/study, as I progress with my swing training. So.... now I get 8 hours a week of lessons; two on the simulator, two on the Range, two on the putting green, one on short game chip[ping, and one in the sand trap. The graphic below show the feedback and view of yourself making your swing, along with data. Three other pages of data are available.

10407805_10152354003133401_1235610664084863338_n.jpg

Did my normal net drills last night. Probably my normal Tuesday range/green session tonight unless I feel pressed for time.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since it happened during a practice round...

I went out to our local par three course yesterday morning to work on getting my distances dialed in more with my wedges & short irons. I was hitting 4-6 balls on each tee; checking overall patterns & dispersions & distances. Third hole (105 yards), third ball - I hit it in! I know it's not a real hole-in-one, but it was still so neat to watch the ball disappear into the cup! Now if I could just do this on my approach shots on the course!

Dang grins! Nice shot dude.

I had one final practice session tonight. Didn't need it, but wanted it more for the memory I guess. Only 70 balls and then hit the putting green.

Man, I always feared I would ace a retee or a random ball I hit off the tee.

I had one final practice session tonight. Didn't need it, but wanted it more for the memory I guess. Only 70 balls and then hit the putting green.
Hawkbombs?

Did an hour lesson then hit balls for another 30 minutes after I know you MC'ers are going to feel, was 94 degrees with humidity off the charts, made some great progress with the driver :)

I had a great range session tonight as well where I made some progress with the things I've been doing good and fixed the things that have gotten away from me in the last week. I was just piping drive after drive downrange, and my 5 wood was right behind it...I could have hit balls all night.

I had two shots with a 7i that were baffling though and I think I invented a new miss. Basically the ball started straight, then hooked left, then ballooned before falling 30 yards short and 50 yards left...what the heck is that? Bad range balls maybe?

Sounds like a range ball. I had a few go both right and left during a lesson last week. We just chuckled at the knuckleball flight.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

I had this internal monologue at the range just now.

"I am hitting the ball way too high"
"Don't be an idiot"
"You're right"

Had a great 1 hour lesson session on the simulator, and critique of much of my golf round from yesterday, which was filmed using the Coach's Eye App and included Drives and approach shots with both long (4/5 iron) and short (PW/Gap) irons. We stayed focused on improving my swing and keeping my hips from getting past the ball (releasing too soon).

1910115_10152357427718401_560401091726526746_n.jpg

Chipping today, which felt really good, since I haven't practiced in two weeks.

Just a small bucket, but holy cow I am starting to see some real improvement. Starting my downswing from the ground up...front foot, legs, hips, chest, shoulders, arms, in that order.

I have to concentrate a bit to make sure it happens, and I loose my posture a bit, so I'm still topping many shots, but not as many as last practice. I think my shoulder turn an arm extension is holding form on the backswing, so that is also an improvement. Getting a chance to play on Sunday also helped a lot.

The swing is starting to feel natural and rhythmic, and some real fantastic shots are happening!

I got my new tp wedges (52-09, 56/60 ATV) and CB's today (3-PW). I had to hit the range. I spent about 2 hours melting in the 100+ degree heat. It took a few balls to get used to them as I went from standard to slightly shorter. After that I really enjoyed them. I won't say they are easy to hit, but I feel like they are easier than the 712 AP2's I'm coming from - especially the longer irons. I also switched from stiff S300 shafts to extra stiff shafts (was fit at the TM lab for kbs tour-x) and got better ball flight and added distance - though not as long as the SLDR head with the same shaft. It's hard to tell on my range, but based on past experience there compared to results on courses, I was getting 170-175 carry with my 7 iron.

I took a break after one bucket to go work with the new wedges and enjoyed them as well. I didn't really notice any differences between them and the SM4 wedges I was playing before. I worked on putting for a short time and then went back over to the range.

My 3W is still mediocre off the deck. I alternate between 30 yard slices and hooks witch occasional fades/draws thrown in. I just can't seem to get a consistent shot with it. Same goes for the driver right now. I finally decided to try aiming down the right side of an imaginary fairway on the range with my club face open to my intended target line (center of the imaginary fairway), but closed to my right side set up/aim line. I had much better results than I've been having. My good shots were nice draws that went were I wanted and my bad shots (when I didn't close the face enough) resulted in a straight shot down the right side of my imaginary fairway. I have a lesson Saturday and we will be working on the driver. So I'll see what the instructor thinks.

Had a so-so range session. I started out with my 54* and was shooting some WAY out to the right. I got those ironed out, then worked my way up and down the bag, alternating clubs. 9i, 5i, PW, 4i, 7i, 3h. I'm still really struggling with getting my weight shifting - I'm supposed to be feeling it in my upper right thigh on the backswing. Some shots I did, some shots I didn't. I should have taken my time, but I kept trying to figure out why I wasn't feeling it like I was last session and just kept hitting. Hybrid was pretty good, and driver was OK after a few initial "heavy fades". Still working on the ball position there as well.

Some of it was due to the guys next to me discussing local club politics and BS. I ignored them OK until they started mentioning people I know. I should have just completely tuned them out, but I didn't and paid the price with some badly thinned shots.

Following our round today, had a great range session with Adam. Really ground down some fundamentals I had let get loose on me. It all comes back to a good seeing the ball gets in the way of.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Following our round today, had a great range session with Adam. Really ground down some fundamentals I had let get loose on me. It all comes back to a good seeing the ball gets in the way of.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
You were looking good over there being instructed by Adam. Can't wait till we get our round Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back