HBO Real Sports: The Downturn of Golf

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife said she say a ad for it another interesting show

I'll watch but gimmicks never last. Maybe we make it better for those that are playing. Then they sound off and bring more people in.

I'll watch but gimmicks never last. Maybe we make it better for those that are playing. Then they sound off and bring more people in.

I don't know anything about gimmicks... You referring to the 15" hole stuff? I'm sure they'll get into some legit discussion of the issues.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about gimmicks... You referring to the 15" hole stuff? I'm sure they'll get into some legit discussion of the issues.

I played in 8" cup events in college. They were a novelty. I see 15" cups the same way as a gimmick. Foot golf to be is along ht elites of disc golf. I see that catching on, maybe on courses that are struggling to stay open.

I played in 8" cup events in college. They were a novelty. I see 15" cups the same way as a gimmick. Foot golf to be is along ht elites of disc golf. I see that catching on, maybe on courses that are struggling to stay open.

I would hope they talk more about the real issues than that stuff.

I would agree - saw some folks playing foot golf at the local course last week and it looked to be a good time. It seems pretty easy compared to golf or even disc golf though, the question is how long it remains interesting for people.

Haha my work is in that show

Interesting.... I'll watch it, but I doubt that "they" can induce me to play a course with a 15" hole in the center of the green. That, to me, is gimmicky and will likely only draw the putt putt crowd.

Interesting.... I'll watch it, but I doubt that "they" can induce me to play a course with a 15" hole in the center of the green. That, to me, is gimmicky and will likely only draw the putt putt crowd.

But as Jack said why not? If it brings them into the game then its good.

But Personally, part of my love for golf is the challenge, I don't really care much for 15 inch cups though

Would love to watch ... but I do not get HBO?

Can't imaging a larger hole being accepted ... for me its the journey to the green that lots of folks have the hardest time with ...

I will definitely try to watch tomorrow night, should be interesting.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I played a course that had two holes per green - one regulation (yellow flag) and one 15" hole (white flag). I did not ask whether the 15" hole game was catching on at the course, but it was certainly there.

Saw this advertised while watching HBO last night. Will reserve my specific opinions until I see the entire show. Yeah, golf is hard but one of the reasons we keep going back in the challenge and satisfaction of conquering it.

Saw this advertised while watching HBO last night. Will reserve my specific opinions until I see the entire show. Yeah, golf is hard but one of the reasons we keep going back in the challenge and satisfaction of conquering it.

I agree man, the challenge is what keeps me coming back and a 20 putt round with a 15 inch cup would make me feel like I cheated or something lol. I'll give this one a watch, it should be interesting to see what the general consensus is out there.

You cannot separate "Less people playing" from industry dynamics. It doesn't mean less people will play forever, just that less are making a choice to play under current conditions.

Speed up the round times. Lessen the costs of memberships and tee times. Don't charge out the ass for a single bucket of balls (causing training costs to be high for beginners). Don't try to sell $400 drivers to people every 6 months. Cut the costs and the player dynamics will change as well.

So yes, under the current model golf execs should be nervous. That exec in the video seemed as out of touch as you could be, but his thinking is disfigured by his industry position. They can't keep offering the same value proposition/cost structure and see previous results. But they can do new things that will change the dynamics and demographics and someone will do it because there is still a lot of money in it for whomever gets it right.

I will have to give this a watch....should be interesting at least

Wish I had HBO to watch it

I'll watch it

.........and guys the 15" cup days and soccer golf stuff aren't for us it's for newbs and kids to go out there and have some fun instead of grinding on every 3 foot putt on some 12+ stimpmeter green with 2 groups backed up in the fairways behind them, steaming.

Also, all the "doom and gloom" scenarios about golf are coming from the industry itself who are basing all their financial decisions on never-ending exponential growth. Maybe there are too many golf courses out there and too many brands putting out too many new drivers every year.

You cannot separate "Less people playing" from industry dynamics. It doesn't mean less people will play forever, just that less are making a choice to play under current conditions.

Speed up the round times. Lessen the costs of memberships and tee times. Don't charge out the ass for a single bucket of balls (causing training costs to be high for beginners). Don't try to sell $400 drivers to people every 6 months. Cut the costs and the player dynamics will change as well.

So yes, under the current model golf execs should be nervous. That exec in the video seemed as out of touch as you could be, but his thinking is disfigured by his industry position. They can't keep offering the same value proposition/cost structure and see previous results. But they can do new things that will change the dynamics and demographics and someone will do it because there is still a lot of money in it for whomever gets it right.

Ditto couldn't agree more

A golf course closes in the USA every 48 hours....WOW

Double digit sales decreases for golf retailers each of last 3 years

Last edited:
Free beer on Saturday's as a promotion idea. They have my attention!

But just lost it talking about 15 inch holes....

Top Golf would be fun for a night out every now and then for family fun. It would in no way satisfy my new to play real golf though!

Double digit sales increases for golf retailers each of last 3 years

You mean decreases, not increases.

The really scary number is how few people age 18-30 are taking up the game.

Most people don't understand that the 15 inch cups aren't meant for the "core golfer" like most of us on this board. If a 15 inch cup gets more beginners and kids to have fun when they are starting to play the game, then what's the problem with them?

Back