I may have purchased a counterfeit Cobra Biocelll driver

jere.01

Reaction score
Handicap
mid 20s
I've been looking for a new driver for several months now, and finally settled on the Cobra biocell. I first went to my local Dick's sporting goods and looked at the available drivers. First of all, they had only one senior flex driver in the entire store. Secondly, the store clerk told me that he was assisting another customer and would be with me next. As I watched, two more customers approached him and he waited on them. Add to that other problems I have with buying anything from Dicks, and they lost a sale. So I went online and found the Biocell for $150. I know that is low and should have raised my suspicions. But, considering that Dicks had a few biocells on sale for $199, it wasn't that far out of range. And, of course at that point I had never heard of "counterfeit golf clubs" After my purchase, the pro at my local course informed me that I might have purchased a counterfeit club. Then the other night, I watched Jimmy Roberts In Play show and learned a bit more about the problem, including the fact that most counterfeits are so good that the average person can't tell them from the real thing. So, I don't know if my driver is real or not. However, I am hitting it better than my old driver and so far have had no problems with it.

I've been looking for a new driver for several months now, and finally settled on the Cobra biocell. I first went to my local Dick's sporting goods and looked at the available drivers. First of all, they had only one senior flex driver in the entire store. Secondly, the store clerk told me that he was assisting another customer and would be with me next. As I watched, two more customers approached him and he waited on them. Add to that other problems I have with buying anything from Dicks, and they lost a sale. So I went online and found the Biocell for $150. I know that is low and should have raised my suspicions. But, considering that Dicks had a few biocells on sale for $199, it wasn't that far out of range. And, of course at that point I had never heard of "counterfeit golf clubs" After my purchase, the pro at my local course informed me that I might have purchased a counterfeit club. Then the other night, I watched Jimmy Roberts In Play show and learned a bit more about the problem, including the fact that most counterfeits are so good that the average person can't tell them from the real thing. So, I don't know if my driver is real or not. However, I am hitting it better than my old driver and so far have had no problems with it.

Post up some pictures.

However, $150 does not mean that it is counterfeit honestly. Is that the only thing that makes you think that it is counterfeit?

Honestly, I doubt it's a counterfeit cobra.

If you're playing well with it, I wouldn't be too concerned.

$150 seems to be the going price on ebay from tons of reputable sellers. I think you are safe.

Post up who/where you bought it from online. My guess is the community will be able to determine if the seller is legit or not.

You can get a BioCell from Globalgolf (Open Box) for $159 so $150 doesn't seem unreasonable. Where did you buy it from? Ebay or a online golf retailer?

If you're hitting it well, then perhaps the counterfeiters did a good job? I kid. That's my thinking though, that I don't care if it's counterfeit or not if I'm hitting it well.

Why did your pro think it was counterfeit?

You are hitting it well, so who cares? At $150 new in a couple months it will be worth less then $50, which to me is in the throw away club range. Hit it until you stop hitting well and then throw it away, sell it for a few bucks or let it sit the garage.

The "if I'm hitting it well I wouldn't care" comments always kind of surprise me. To me it's easy to say when it's not your money you put down on a club, when you're the one who does put the money down and it turns out to not be what you bough, believe me it changes tunes.

The "if I'm hitting it well I wouldn't care" comments always kind of surprise me. To me it's easy to say when it's not your money you put down on a club, when you're the one who does put the money down and it turns out to not be what you bough, believe me it changes tunes.
Well, since I was the first who made the comment ... to me, if it performs similarly to other clubs in that category, I'm not going to worry myself over it further. I took the plunge, I made the purchase, it works well ... end of story. Why stress about something that there is absolutely nothing at this point that I can do anything about? And yes, it's been my money on the line before, and it hasn't changed my stance. If the product laid a big friggin turd the minute I first swung it, yeah I'd want to know and have something done about it ... but if it holds up, I don't care.

If you're hitting it well, then perhaps the counterfeiters did a good job? I kid. That's my thinking though, that I don't care if it's counterfeit or not if I'm hitting it well.

Why did your pro think it was counterfeit?

I had the same question - what lead your Pro to think that the driver was counterfeit?

But I tend to agree with others. As long as you are hitting it well, I wouldn't worry about it.

Im curious as to why the pro told you that? was it because of what you paid for it or did he notice something that was off?

Honestly, I doubt it's a counterfeit cobra.

I agree with you here James. As awesome as this driver is and considering how low the price is for it, chances are it's the real deal.

does not seem unreasonable at all, especially when you factor in coupon codes from other reputable retailers effect Cobra pricing as well.

You should be able to check the serial with cobra to verify authenticity. What online store did you get it from?

I thought about whether it would bother me right after I typed my last comment.. I take my last part of my comment back..

What is the best way for him to confirm if it is counterfeit or not?

Let us know the seller, and if there is a serial contact cobra. That said, not all have a serial, some from Dicks I have seen were absent the serial.

I bought my putter at a golf show from a reputable seller, but since the counterfeit issue popped up, I some times wonder. I really have no reason to believe it's a county, but at the end of the day, I realize I have no inclination to check. I'm putting better than I ever have, so don't really care.

Just looking around Ebay and other golf retailers, I think the $150 price is pretty reasonable. Try searching for a serial number, and if you are able to find one, call Cobra and ask them to verify for you.

I think you're probably ok. They price is about right for eBay. If you're really concerned contact Cobra and ask them how you might be able to tell.

He just wants you to buy stuff from him. I doubt its fake.

The pro hasn't really looked at it, he is just concerned about the low price. As long as the club performs well for me, I'm not really all that concerned. It's just that if it is a counterfeit, I kind of feel like I somehow contributed to a fraud that ultimately hurts the legitimate company. I'm still trying to find the invoice for the club, so that I can look up the company.

I imagine after that show a ton of people who aren't hitting perfect shots everytime with a club they bought online are going to be suspect of it.

Back