Good.Shepherd

Reaction score
Handicap
Had a great conversation today on XM radio's PGA station about the 14 club rule. What struck me is how little is really understood about the origin of the rule (the USGA website tells a different story than other sites that track golf history) and why 14 was the magic number. .

Now I know it's possible to play with fewer. I often find I only have 13 in my bag.

But I actually think there's an argument to made to allow for MORE clubs in the bag. I'd like to see 16 allowed. Here's why:

1. Golf courses are very different today than in times past. At 7K yards on some courses, I think there's room for an extra distance club (5w or 7w?) or a variation in loft. Further, recent research suggests that approach shots from 100+ yards have a greater contribution to scoring than either driving or putting.

2. Courses are also allowing for much faster greens, and I think most players don't carry enough wedges for their approach and short game. This is also a big issue for Pelz as he recommends using more club slots for wedges than for distance.

3. It's not THAT historic of a rule. Bobby Jones usually carrier more than 14 and no one puts an asterisk by his victories because of it.

If they allowed 16, I'd add in an additional wood, probably something easy to de-loft in case of wind and weather, and I'd add another lob-class wedge.

Basically, if 14 clubs was a great rule for 1940, I think there is room to look at it in 2014 when we have more available technology, much different (and longer) courses, and much faster and more demanding greens.

I think 14 clubs are expensive enough...

I honestly couldn't tell you the number of times I hit every club in the bag in around.

I also don't see much of a need for a loftier wedge than 60* in my bag. I use my full swing 60* for 100yds and I can open it up well past that for around the green.

To keep the ball under the wind it's a 3wd for me and really the only reason I carry it. I can deloft the driver just not accurate with it.

Adding 2 more clubs would also seriously cramp my bag organization up.

How many times per round would you use those two extra clubs? I'm honestly curious.

I don't really have a stance on this topic but I'm 100% sure that the OEM's would love nothing more than every golfer running around with 16 or more clubs.

I wouldn't mind seeing 15, basically 14 + a putter

Are you a PGA Pro on tour? If no then who gives a crap, carry 30 if you want. I am all about noncompliance making golf better and more popular. When I make the tour, will throw some clubs out...

If they ever make a change to clubs allowed it will be less.

Are you a PGA Pro on tour? If no then who gives a crap, carry 30 if you want. I am all about noncompliance making golf better and more popular. When I make the tour, will throw some clubs out...

I get this in a general sense but then why follow any rules at all? Why count a penalty stroke? Why not be a lie fluffer? Why not set up bumpers on the green before you putt?

Many people choose to play golf by their own rules and all the power to them, but many of us want to play within a defined set of rules just like any game or sport.

I really don't see the need to carry more than 14 clubs. I have yet to master shotmaking with every swing I take with the current 14 in my bag. Adding two more would just mean two more clubs that I struggle to hit perfectly every time. With proper swing execution and decision making, the 14 I have are capable of playing every shot that I may encounter.

I don't really have a stance on this topic but I'm 100% sure that the OEM's would love nothing more than every golfer running around with 16 or more clubs.

They would for sure love that.

It takes long enough to play an 18 hole round now, I would not want to add more clubs in the bag that would just confuse some people and increase their time trying to decide if they should hit the 58* or the 60* wedge.

gah, then i'd need to buy a new bag!

I honestly couldn't tell you the number of times I hit every club in the bag in around.

Actually you raise a good point here.

What if it's not about having to play every club in the bag every round. For example, there's no rule that says, "You must play all of your clubs at least one time".

What if it's about having more options available. For example, I use one club slot to carry the Cleveland Smart Sole Sand wedge. Do I use it every round? Nope. But I view it as a "defensive club" for when my swing is off and I get in the sand. My biggest blowup holes used to be sand, but I haven't had one since I got the club and I can feel if my sand game is on or off with my 58.

Or with wedges: my 60 has an 8 bounce for tight lies. But I'd love to have one in a 14 as well. When you really know how to use the bounce, it becomes an important characteristic of the tool. I also don't see how carrying variant wedges somehow violates the heart of the game (the Bobby Jones rule)

Further, I only keep one wood--3W. And that's an important club. But having the option for other woods opens up more possibilities for playing these longer courses. I'd probably carry something like a 5w or 7w for longer courses, or a 2 Hybrid (on very windy or stormy days).

It's not that I'd have to use these every time. It's the availability of having the tools to use to be applied under the skill of the golfer.

But I've also played rounds with a single club, and it was fun as hell, so I'm not saying it's critical. Only that I don't see why it is disallowed. The rule seems pretty arbitrary, especially considering that any rule that was tailored for play on pre-WWII courses is probably not the most relevant rule for 2014.

It takes long enough to play an 18 hole round now, I would not want to add more clubs in the bag that would just confuse some people and increase their time trying to decide if they should hit the 58* or the 60* wedge.

There's an argument to be made that *selecting* the club is not the big use of time, but instead bad or misplayed shots. Especially out of the rough or sand.

Allowing high handicap players a rescue club (for rough) or a large sole sand club--just for example--could actually speed up play.

I get this in a general sense but then why follow any rules at all? Why count a penalty stroke? Why not be a lie fluffer? Why not set up bumpers on the green before you putt?

Many people choose to play golf by their own rules and all the power to them, but many of us want to play within a defined set of rules just like any game or sport.

Well, it is an individual sport and it is up to the player to call penalties on oneself. I try and follow the rules as close as possible, but I would have no issue with someone carrying more than 14 clubs in their bag. I just want to try and enjoy the game. The game is usually played between my ears. Having more clubs wouldn't make things easier for me.

Actually you raise a good point here.

What if it's not about having to play every club in the bag every round. For example, there's no rule that says, "You must play all of your clubs at least one time".

What if it's about having more options available. For example, I use one club slot to carry the Cleveland Smart Sole Sand wedge. Do I use it every round? Nope. But I view it as a "defensive club" for when my swing is off and I get in the sand. My biggest blowup holes used to be sand, but I haven't had one since I got the club and I can feel if my sand game is on or off with my 58.

Or with wedges: my 60 has an 8 bounce for tight lies. But I'd love to have one in a 14 as well. When you really know how to use the bounce, it becomes an important characteristic of the tool. I also don't see how carrying variant wedges somehow violates the heart of the game (the Bobby Jones rule)

Further, I only keep one wood--3W. And that's an important club. But having the option for other woods opens up more possibilities for playing these longer courses. I'd probably carry something like a 5w or 7w for longer courses, or a 2 Hybrid (on very windy or stormy days).

It's not that I'd have to use these every time. It's the availability of having the tools to use to be applied under the skill of the golfer.

But I've also played rounds with a single club, and it was fun as hell, so I'm not saying it's critical. Only that I don't see why it is disallowed. The rule seems pretty arbitrary, especially considering that any rule that was tailored for play on pre-WWII courses is probably not the most relevant rule for 2014.

There's nothing saying you can't change clubs out depending on the course or weather conditions you are playing, and lots of people do.

I just don't see a need for more than 14 clubs in my bag.

Your saying you would like the extra clubs for longer courses. please explain this as if your playing the proper tees and you've built your bag with proper gapping throughout I don't see the need for them.

As for different wedges carry what you wish or carry grinds that allow you to play one wedge multiple ways with different effective bounces.

There's nothing saying you can't change clubs out depending on the course or weather conditions you are playing, and lots of people do.

I just don't see a need for more than 14 clubs in my bag.

Your saying you would like the extra clubs for longer courses. please explain this as if your playing the proper tees and you've built your bag with proper gapping throughout I don't see the need for them.

As for different wedges carry what you wish or carry grinds that allow you to play one wedge multiple ways with different effective bounces.

It's not that you have to have 16. It's that you can. I think there's a big difference.

Let me give a practical example, but I don't mean to suggest this is the only useful way to apply the thinking.

Look at the Open last week. None of the golfers who were in the "weather group", other than one or so, finished in the top 10 to 15. That's a compelling stat. Why? Because the course plays so much differently in wind and weather. Many players took the driver out of their bags in the weather group, put in another wood, and went with irons that could be kept lower-while the good weather group was hitting 350+ and driving the greens.

Why take the driver out? Let them keep a selection of woods for when the storm blows in, but keep the Driver in and get the benefit you can while the weather is good. Further, I don't know any golfer at an Open who wouldn't kill to take an extra wedge in a different loft of bounce.

Doesn't mean any of us HAVE to. But like Bobby Jones playing half irons and at times having a bag over 20, I don't see how going to 16 will hurt the game or violate the spirit of it.

I think it's an interesting question an argument, especially since it's such an arbitrary rule with an opaque history.

I agree. I think they should raise it to 15 clubs.

Devils advocate here: I don't think longer courses can be an excuse for more clubs because ,if anything, clubs today are that much longer and forgiving than the clubs of the past so why would we need more if technology has brought us here based on the clubs new performance levels

Had no idea there was a golf club limit. I'll leave that up for the guys who get paid to play the sport. When I pay to play for 9 or 18 holes then I'm going to play with how many clubs I want. If I get to playing professionally then I'll keep 14 in mind in the mean time I'll stick to having fun.

It's not that you have to have 16. It's that you can. I think there's a big difference.

Let me give a practical example, but I don't mean to suggest this is the only useful way to apply the thinking.

Look at the Open last week. None of the golfers who were in the "weather group", other than one or so, finished in the top 10 to 15. That's a compelling stat. Why? Because the course plays so much differently in wind and weather. Many players took the driver out of their bags in the weather group, put in another wood, and went with irons that could be kept lower-while the good weather group was hitting 350+ and driving the greens.

Why take the driver out? Let them keep a selection of woods for when the storm blows in, but keep the Driver in and get the benefit you can while the weather is good. Further, I don't know any golfer at an Open who wouldn't kill to take an extra wedge in a different loft of bounce.

Doesn't mean any of us HAVE to. But like Bobby Jones playing half irons and at times having a bag over 20, I don't see how going to 16 will hurt the game or violate the spirit of it.

I think it's an interesting question an argument, especially since it's such an arbitrary rule with an opaque history.

Those players made a choice and could have just as easily left the driver in the bag and used it till the "weather" turned.

I don't know anything about them wanting an extra wedge, everyone of them had a trailer to do what ever they needed to to their clubs and could have brought a slew of clubs with them to find the best combo for them that day.

I don't think 2 clubs would have made a difference in their scores to keep them in the mix or closer to it. Golf is a game of hitting shots to produce a flight/trajectory to deal with weather and course conditions.

Most of golfs rules are arbitrary with how they are created. The current rules are created by two committees that have nothing better to do than give themselves something to do, they don't make rules based on growing the game or speeding up play.

I don't play tournament golf so this rule isn't an issue to me.

Had no idea there was a golf club limit. I'll leave that up for the guys who get paid to play the sport. When I pay to play for 9 or 18 holes then I'm going to play with how many clubs I want. If I get to playing professionally then I'll keep 14 in mind in the mean time I'll stick to having fun.

I doubt anyone cares if you carried 20 clubs. I know I wouldn't. But if you ever wish to run an established handicap there unfortunately is only one way to do that honestly and that is to play by the rules at least the very best and honestly as you can. Until such a thing as bifurcation would ever exist for amateur golf the existing rules is all we have to go by and that like other rules (like them or not or agree with them or not) is all we currently have. I wouldn't even care if you carried more and did run a cap. Actually if it helped your game a lot it just means you would probably be running a lower cap than the honest one which would give you less strokes for competition but if ever in any competition everything has to the same for everyone.

Good or bad for extra clubs I don't really know. But one thing we can say based on your post above is that having a limit creates strategy and decisions. Creates an interest other than just the play itself. Its really in a big way is part of the game and ones management decisions. Adds another element to the golf itself does it not? Take that away and it takes a tiny bit away from the game. No? Just a speculation.

Back