Selling Insurance

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody do that for a living? The Aflac rep has offered my wife a commission job and I'm just not sure.

I do it. First few years are tough but as you get renewals (PC), it gets better. Life commissions are mostly in just the first year. Each year after ain't much. I am working at the golf course my wife manages to supplement the income from insurance. The free golf doesn't hurt.

Helps a lot if the second person in the marriage/partnership has a good enough job to help get through the first few years.

I don't sell insurance but I work in the insurance field and I will say that it will take time generating a serious income month to month at first (first couple years). She would need to build a customer base and that can be difficult if you count on a second income. I have worked with reps directly (MetLife financial) that make upwards from 150-350k+ a year so it's possible to make the money (they've been in the business 15-20 years). I had a chance to be junior partner with a financial rep who made that much but that time in my life I couldn't do it. It will be a grind at first but if your wife is new to it but there is the potential of decent earnings in the end.

I sell property and casualty. Do your research on AFLAC, I looked into it and it didn't seem very appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I read about AFLAC is there are no territories. It seemed to cut throat for me to risk. I do think if you can carry the load while she gets going it could work for you guys.

One thing I read about AFLAC is there are no territories. It seemed to cut throat for me to risk. I do think if you can carry the load while she gets going it could work for you guys.

That's what worries me. Months not knowing if she will get paid or not. Plus I'm not sure how much outa pocket the startup be

That's what worries me. Months not knowing if she will get paid or not. Plus I'm not sure how much outa pocket the startup be

Should just be whatever it costs for the test(s), the license, out of state licenses if she needs them. Then she will need leads, some are good leads, some are recycled. I think we pay 12 bucks a lead. I've stopped buying leads and just started spending a few days here and there putting brochures with my business card on them, on doors and waiting for phone calls. Plus I have been recycling my old leads.

Should just be whatever it costs for the test(s), the license, out of state licenses if she needs them. Then she will need leads, some are good leads, some are recycled. I think we pay 12 bucks a lead. I've stopped buying leads and just started spending a few days here and there putting brochures with my business card on them, on doors and waiting for phone calls. Plus I have been recycling my old leads.

Can money be made? She only make minimum wage right now and I have been curious what it takes to get that atleast

Selling Insurance

I don't want to trash AfLAC because they actually offer some decent products.

However selling for them is almost one step short of a pyramid. I was recruited by them a few years back and got very far down the hiring road before digging more and deciding it just wasn't for me at this point.

I had 7 years of insurance sales experience as well from several years prior.

In most cases they require you to spend a lot of upfront cash for training and material with very little to no income for a period of several months.

Last edited:
Can money be made? She only make minimum wage right now and I have been curious what it takes to get that atleast

Not sure what AFLAC pays. I make 10 to 12% on PC (new and renewals) and 35 to 50% on life. Less on annuities, but we are talking higher total dollar amounts with no chance of chargebacks. Have two in the works now and they will be a nice payday.

Yea I'm thinking she can do better. Bless her heart though she has had such a tough time leaving her current job she's just happy someone is giving her a chance

Selling Insurance

Yea I'm thinking she can do better. Bless her heart though she has had such a tough time leaving her current job she's just happy someone is giving her a chance

No doubt. A job search is so full of let downs. It feels good to get opportunities. I'm not saying it's a really bad thing. But she would need to bed realistic about the time it takes to start making descent money.

Also someone mentioned earlier about no territories that is correct.

We had AFLAC at my last hotel ( I was the contact) and I had at least one cold call a week from someone who wasn't my agent.

Good luck to her in her search.

Last edited:
It's a tough go. Can't speak for the company itself but if your going to get into that field of work you need to go with the best.

I don't have time to type much now but if you'd like to PM me I've been in the industry in various roles for 10 years and have recruited for several firms. I can breakdown most of the sales pitch she is hearing for you, and give some industry stats that might shed some light to see if it makes sense or not. Also, the guys in this thread that sell p&c would be a good idea to reach out to them as well to talk beyond just a post (though they have given great insight thus far). Best of luck!

Kindle Fire Talkin'

Back