Golf Channel Am Tour

My tournament Saturday is at a course I have played once. It is shorter, but tight and hard (137 slope from the White tees). I've been reviewing the holes in preparation for the event and I'm virtually certain I'm going to hit 3h off the tee to make sure I'm in the fairway. I may even leave the driver at home just in case I don't have enough discipline.

My tournament Saturday is at a course I have played once. It is shorter, but tight and hard (137 slope from the White tees). I've been reviewing the holes in preparation for the event and I'm virtually certain I'm going to hit 3h off the tee to make sure I'm in the fairway. I may even leave the driver at home just in case I don't have enough discipline.
what course?

never played it. i've heard it's everything but easy, though. good luck!
Thanks, OJ. Tight fairways, lots of trees, lots of uneven lies. The good news is the course plays the same way for everyone in the field :)

137 slope? Plenty challenge at that course, for sure.

Sorry I missed your post, Oneputt. Would have liked to grab a drink with a THPer. How did your results end up? I shot myself out of contention on Day 1, though, I somewhat battled-back on Sunday to crack the top 4 in my flight. Was really wanting a top 3, so I could dial-back on remaining events this summer.

I did ok on the first day on the Meadow Valley, was in 4th. Swing issues and frustration had me fall back on the second day. I didn't make my goals for the tournament, but I am not going to complain about it. They are great courses and it was a fun road trip. I should be back next year.

I did ok on the first day on the Meadow Valley, was in 4th. Swing issues and frustration had me fall back on the second day. I didn't make my goals for the tournament, but I am not going to complain about it. They are great courses and it was a fun road trip. I should be back next year.

Good attitude to have. I really enjoy both courses, and the weather turned out to be very good, especially on Sunday.

Haven't posted in here for a while, because I haven't played any events since early June (and I completely mucked those 2 rounds up). Still, I'm holding on to 1st in my local flight. Planning on only 2 more tournaments, hoping that holds one of the top 3 spots so I can make another trip to nationals.

Anyone else in recent events? Results?

I've given up on GCAT and solely focusing on Houston Amateur Golf Association. Guy in what would be my flight for GCAT his last 5 tournaments have been 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, and 1st yet somehow he doesn't move up a flight and couple that with my last one with them and 2 guys in my group said out loud they didn't want to win for fear of having to move up told me all I needed to know. Even in my Houston Am events my last 4 have been 1st, t-2, t-5 and 2nd and I've had to move up where next week I'll be competing in first flight but Golf Channel , pass.

I've given up on GCAT and solely focusing on Houston Amateur Golf Association. Guy in what would be my flight for GCAT his last 5 tournaments have been 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, and 1st yet somehow he doesn't move up a flight and couple that with my last one with them and 2 guys in my group said out loud they didn't want to win for fear of having to move up told me all I needed to know. Even in my Houston Am events my last 4 have been 1st, t-2, t-5 and 2nd and I've had to move up where next week I'll be competing in first flight but Golf Channel , pass.
Geez! That's crap, right there. With the wins/finishes, was that guy's tourney index dropping? And the comments? That's where you can see some sand bagging, I guess. I still haven't run into that in my area/flight.
I've played 2 events on the GolfWeek Am Tour and I think I'm done with them. Very disorganized and the guys who keep winning in my flight need to be moved up but they keep delaying it for some reason. I also see a lot of inaccuracies in handicaps in some other flights that make me scratch my head.
They seem to be somewhat organized in Chicago. A new tour started this year, North American Golf Tour, run by the former GCAT Chicago director. Only local, so far, but has sights on expanding to other markets.

I'm finishing out this year, for sure, but am getting closer to not competing next season.

Geez! That's crap, right there. With the wins/finishes, was that guy's tourney index dropping? And the comments? That's where you can see some sand bagging, I guess. I still haven't run into that in my area/flight.

The he guy I'm referring to shows 11 rounds posted since August of last year, only 3 of those above 85 (86, 90 & 91) yet still shows a 13.0 looking up his hdcp.

Another won his 5th of the year last weekend, his hdcp shows 11.2 but yet he's playing in the 12-16 hdcp group. So yes, I'm done with Golf Channel.

We're likely moving back to Arkansas very soon and, if so, then I'll likely end up going back to the GCAT. The Tour Director down there is a super guy and does a really nice job. Plus they play most of the events in the NW Arkansas area, which is perfect for me. GWAT plays mostly in the Southern part of the state and doesn't have quite the same following. If I had a lower handicap then I'd play in the AR State Am events but as of right now I'd get laughed out of those events with my handicap. All kidding aside, I've halfway thought about starting my own Am Tour down there but not sure I want to sink the cost and time into it. GCAT is just so expensive but I need some competitive events to play in on a regular basis.

Heading back south, eh? No more Minnesota winters for you! The overall cost is what I'm struggling with now, not that I can't afford it, but this is year 3 of dropping significant coin on GCAT, that would be easily spread out to nice courses or even a major golf trip. I would definitely miss the competition. Like you, playing in the local Am events generally requires better scoring than I am currently capable of (maybe I'll get there).

Had a good tournament round, but still disappointed that I didn't score better. Shot an 80 to win my flight, but had way too many putts.

Unfortunately sandbagging is part of any tournament where they use indexes in the flights. I understand the frustration. It is tough to prove that someone is manipulating their index. I'm too focused on getting better so I can move up a flight. If I'm getting better I will be winning tournaments.

i haven't played as many tournaments as I would have liked this year. I tore a muscle in my arm and ended up with compartment syndrome. I had to take 6 weeks off and only started playing again last week. I'll be playing the season ending local tournament and then Nationals. I'm still in first in my flight but not by much.

Has anyone gone to a WGAT event? Thinking about it starting in January when the season starts again for them. People leaving the GCAMTOUR for this one.

I've heard of them but haven't played in any of their events or talked to anyone who has. That said, they have a pretty interesting model with the National Championship and the World Championship. You don't even have to be a member. They have several qualifiers and majors that can get you in to the National Championship and possibly the World Championship. That's kind of a nice alternative if you don't live near a local tour. Entry fees into the majors are a bit pricey ($300-400 for a 2-day event) but the locations they play at are pretty nice.

Diabolo played with them some here in Houston! their turnout was very low like usually 2 groups total, he's since passed them by and is playing the local Houston Amateur Golf Association tourneys, which plays more frequently and pays more places than Golf Channel Tour.

Ive vey heard quite a few people also playing iTour which I believe Cally sponsors somehow, BIG payouts but also big entry fees.

Anyone play Nationals this year?

Anyone else playing on the GCAT this year?

gave it up, I'm strictly playing Houston Amateur Golf Association, play more frequently (every other week compared to once a month), pays out better (top 4 in each flight vs top 3), deadline to register is 48 hours out as opposed to 7 days. And while I can't speak for GCAT tours everywhere, the Houston group should be called sandbaggers anonymous or d-bags on parade. Last GCAT I played there were guys in my group who deliberately said they didn't want to win to have to move up flights and said they were just in it to qualify for nationals before they played for real. So they're just trying to "manage" their handicap and keep it artificially inflated so they could try to have their low round later.

So, after 3 consecutive seasons, I'm going to drop my membership for at least 2015. Really enjoyed the fun and competition - reignited my competitive juices so-to-speak. In the end, I spent a crap load of money the last 3 years and have started to see real improvement in my game. Alas, I want to spend my golf money a little more selectively in 2015, hopefully to include some local events and at least a couple of THP events. Will still check-in here to see how all of you are doing, so please keep posting updates.

Has anyone gone to a WGAT event? Thinking about it starting in January when the season starts again for them. People leaving the GCAMTOUR for this one.
Starting my 2nd season with them this weekend. Still growing in my area but much cheaper than GCAM. I have played in both and prefer WGAT. Their in South Africa playing the finals right now. One of the players I play with is there representing the US.

I see GCAT just announced the 2015 Nat'l tournament will be back at PGA West - easily my favorite of the three I participated in.

Just saw that email too. I'm thinking I may try to go to the National Championship this year. I qualified this year but the timing didn't work, as I had a more important event on the schedule (#TheGauntlet). If the timing works next year I'm gonna try and do it. Several guys from the local flight went and said it was a blast. Hard to beat 5 days on those courses too!
It is a really good time, especially if you can go in as a group on housing. There are a good number of housing options out there. My favorite course was the private Palmer course. Great, scenic views of the mountains, especially at the range where you are hitting directly towards the mountains.

Sorry to hear that you are quitting the tour. I have played for the past couple of years and have had great experiences along with going to nationals the Majors are a great rest of your tournament golf abilities. I have two wins this year hoping to win my third soon so I can punch my ticket to nationals early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I had effectively given up on the GCAT as I wanted to focus my golf outings on local tournaments at my club, unofficial THP gatherings in the region, and official THP events this year. However, my membership doesn't expire for a couple of months and I happened to be in Nashville this past week for work. Coincidentally, the Nashville tour had a tournament scheduled and I had some free time in my schedule so I decided to jump on in and register for the event. I figured at worst it would be an opportunity for me to get some competitive golf experience under my belt in preparation for #THPLegacy.

The tournament was held at Hermitage GC (President's Reserve course) in Nashville, TN. Weather was perfect, course conditions were fantastic and the facilities were really solid. I ended up winning my flight by 7 strokes. Over the past 2-3 years I've played in maybe half a dozen GCAT events but this was my first win. Pretty excited to notch my first ever win in a golf tournament. And, because I won with a Srixon ball, Srixon sent me a dozen Z-Star balls for free!
Congrats on the win! Winning a golf tournament is a huge accomplishment!

Back