Anyone Use Iron Headcovers?

I use them for getting to/from the course, but not during play. I tried once and it was too frustrating. I have an Ogio Chamber bag so I don't get any bag chatter, but if I didn't I would consider using the covers on course. I fall in the OCD crowd and clean my clubs with windex once a week.

I haven't been using iron covers but I'm gonna start the next time I get new clubs. I bought three new Scratch wedges this summer, and on day one I dropped the 50 into my bag and the face hit the toe of my 9 iron square in the center, making an easily visible ding in the face. Ugh.

Mind you that I can't feel any actual playability issue with it, but I sure was annoyed.

Mind you that I can't feel any actual playability issue with it, but I sure was annoyed.

Good point...iron covers r only for cosmetics...but I will tell you that I "feel" more confidence looking down at a nice clean iron addressing my next shot...LOL

Again "to each their own" as I have buddies who think the bag chatter gives their clubs character and shows they are a "Player"...I would never bring it up as I am not that way but I sometimes kind of chuckle when my "covered" brand new looking clean irons post a lower score...again it doesn't matter if u choose to use iron covers or not (personal thing) what matters in this game is your SCORE!

Just my 2 cents!

I use a light covering of dirt, mud and grass on my irons collected from regular play which minimizes bag chatter.

I only use them when I'm driving a cart. I hate the sound of them smashing against each other whenever I go over a bump. But when I'm walking i take them off.

If you're losing them when walking then you need different iron covers. Taking them off while walking makes no sense whatsoever.

Having just lost my first one ever, I have to say it's a matter of paying attention. Are you paying attention to your bag or to your game?

When I lost mine, I went back 3 holes to search - no luck. Sometimes you just don't see it. I went back to the club just the other day to search the lost and found bin, but no one had turned it in.

I take mine off, slip it in my pocket and put it back on once I've wiped the club down. I put the cover on and wipe as I walk so that I don't hold anyone up.

I use them as I can't stand to hear them banging around in the bag. Never really had any problems with them. Mine have a half zipper so getting them on and off is easy.
aju5yzu4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some but only use them when I travel.

joining this party late but I use them. I have lost them from time to time but they are cheap enough. I cant buy new equipment every 2 years or even 5. I plan on using a set for a decade like my last set and covers keeps them from clanging into each other.

Does it hurt if the face of an iron is getting smacked on the groves by another? I don't really know that answer but I'm sure 100% that its not helping anything at all. Especially when using a power cart and you hit bumps you here that clanging, banging all the time and sometimes fairly hard too. But using covers I don't have to worry about that answer.

And at the very least as others have said, they are expensive so why not keep them looking good. Looking good equals feeling good. Tools of the trade is what we can call them. Invested good money in them so why not treat them as the expensive items they are? heck, even if they were cheap why not simply just take care of your own stuff anyway? Its not like it takes any huge effort. But that's just how I look at things and to each his own.

Drivers, woods, hybrids, and putters come with covers, so why not irons? I use the covers all the time with no issues or time lost. Anyway, it's an easy and inexpensive way to protect my $700 investment.

Irons Covers Now

Irons covers... sht, I'm still using irons covers... When I got home after my first round, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be no covers on my irons. When I took them off, I put them back on and when I put them back on all I could think of was getting back onto the course without them.

Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted iron covers, and for my sins, a shop sold me some. Delivered it to my door, like regular room service.

There's a conflict in every human heart, between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph.

I love the sound of bag chatter in the morning. Sounds like
[pondering]... gholf.

Someday this war's gonna end...

Last edited:
Yes I use them, once in course will uncovered them and once finish and cleaning clubs will put them back on again.

Sent from my iPhone5s using Tapatalk

I may be the only one this weekend, but my MC iron have iron covers on them and they will be that way as long as I have them--far too awesome to ding up at this point.

I thought they were too pretty to cover.

Cast irons are strong enough to be left naked during a round of golf. Forged ones should be covered.

Cast irons could still catch nicks and dings after being left in car boot for quite a while under hot sun.

Cast irons are strong enough to be left naked during a round of golf. Forged ones should be covered.

Cast irons could still catch nicks and dings after being left in car boot for quite a while under hot sun.

I'd agree with this mate. Cast irons are far more durable!!!

The epoxy on the clubs could also soften sitting in a hot trunk.

i keep them on during transportation. once i get to the course and i use an iron, the cover goes in the bag pocket. when i get back to the car the covers go back on before i throw them back into the car for the drive home. my friend teases me about my covers but my response usually quiets him. "sponser me and i wont use headcovers, my apex are 1099 and wedges are 400 bucks pay now please"

i keep them on during transportation. once i get to the course and i use an iron, the cover goes in the bag pocket. when i get back to the car the covers go back on before i throw them back into the car for the drive home. my friend teases me about my covers but my response usually quiets him. "sponser me and i wont use headcovers, my apex are 1099 and wedges are 400 bucks pay now please"

The few that give me grief for using covers are the first ones to say "Hey if you ever sell those irons, I want first shot at them." Yeah right. I'd give them away to somebody else before one of those guys would get them.

Back