My take is that when the ruling bodies set a limit at 14 clubs, it was mostly just an arbitrary number. It allowed enough clubs to address most of the shots that a player needs, but it left enough space that the better player was required to make certain adjustments in certain situations. It kept the skill of shotmaking in the game, and in theory that skill is still a necessary part of the player's arsenal.

If a player chooses to ignore the 14 club limitation, that's his choice - have at it, enjoy it, and I hope the added load doesn't weigh you down too much. However, to say that the equipment differences have made it necessary to change the rule is a rationalization. The reasoning behind the rule is just as valid today as it ever was. The player decides where he can best afford to leave a gap in his club distances, and then he finds a way within his game to compensate. Or he carries extra clubs and ignores the rule.

The players who rationalize that because the game has changed, they are justified in carrying 15 or 16 or 18 clubs are no different from the players who justify to themselves that it's okay to improve their lie or make "advantageous" relief drops. They all feel that they have good reasons for creating those "rules", and if they think that it's more fun that way, go for it.

But to say that the rule is wrong because you don't like it is just wrong thinking. The rule isn't wrong or right, it's just the rule. You can choose to play by it or not, and that isn't wrong or right either (in casual golf, not in competition). If the rule holds to the fundamental principles of the game (in this case that golf is a game of skill), then it's more in keeping with that foundation to leave the rule as it is and let the casual player make his choice to abide by it or not.

Well said.

My take is that when the ruling bodies set a limit at 14 clubs, it was mostly just an arbitrary number. It allowed enough clubs to address most of the shots that a player needs, but it left enough space that the better player was required to make certain adjustments in certain situations. It kept the skill of shotmaking in the game, and in theory that skill is still a necessary part of the player's arsenal.

I agree with your entire post and is well said. For the above paragraph we (in addition to skill of shot making) can also determine that it adds more element to strategy and management of their game. Players must choose which clubs based on but not limited to the weather and the course being played. Clubs they feel will best suit there needs for the given round and anticipated play. Of course its a gamble because they must then execute and if they don't they are left with situations that are unforeseen. And then have to make do with whatever options of clubs they chose to take along. In a nut shell the whole idea of limitation does add more element to the game in a number of ways and as you allude to is probably why its done. Keeps it more interesting imo. Of course these players are so very great at what they do they can get away with compromising and adjusting so much better than we can, but its still an element none the less.

Back