Need to add a club... Or two

PhilDawsome

Reaction score
I've been trying to talk this through with myself I really need some suggestions on where to add a club or two in my bag. I don't find myself lost really at any distance and maybe adding clubs would hurt me that's a thought as well but here's my situation.

I've made a huge transition over the past month as to what's in my bag. I currently have: (all of this is in the mail on its way to me except the Mack daddy!!)

Callaway Optiforce Driver 460cc
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 4 - AW
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60*

I'm thinking about adding possibly a 54* wedge (the A wedge on the Apex Pros is 51* I believe) or even a low lofted 3 wood. I play fairly short courses normally so I'm not sure that I would benefit all that much from the 3 wood. What's some good options?

I may be miscounting, but you have 2 spots in your bag (assuming you have a putter). I'd go 55° wedge and a 3 wood. Or maybe 4W since you say your course is shorter.

I like adding both the high lofted 3w and the SW. I might go 55 or even 56 on the SW to better split the difference between the AW and LW instead of having that 6* gap.

If it's short courses you typically play then I would have to suggest a wedge between the 51* and 60* wedges. If the Mack Daddy 2 works well for you I would suggest a wedge somewhere between 54*-56* and seeing if that helps you take more full shots where you would typically have to hit a 1/2 or 3/4 AW.

I've been trying to talk this through with myself I really need some suggestions on where to add a club or two in my bag. I don't find myself lost really at any distance and maybe adding clubs would hurt me that's a thought as well but here's my situation.

I've made a huge transition over the past month as to what's in my bag. I currently have: (all of this is in the mail on its way to me except the Mack daddy!!)

Callaway Optiforce Driver 460cc
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 4 - AW
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60*

I'm thinking about adding possibly a 54* wedge (the A wedge on the Apex Pros is 51* I believe) or even a low lofted 3 wood. I play fairly short courses normally so I'm not sure that I would benefit all that much from the 3 wood. What's some good options?

A 4W might fit in well between the driver and hybrid - I play a pretty short course (~6000 or so) and that combination has worked well for me. And something in the SW range (54-56) makes sense for a wedge to add, I think. Seems you're a callaway guy, so the Bertha 3W adjusted to a loft you like might be good - could play it strong or weak depending on the course, or the XHot/XHot Pro woods are great too.

3w or 4w would be a good choice. If you can find one you're comfortable with, I think that will be beneficial. WIth short courses, a 3w or 4w off the tee may be the play on a handful of holes.

I may be miscounting, but you have 2 spots in your bag (assuming you have a putter). I'd go 55° wedge and a 3 wood. Or maybe 4W since you say your course is shorter.

I indeed do have 2 spots. I played a really old set of clubs when I started a few years back and the woods really gave me fits. I eventually was so put off by them I took them out of my bag. That has carried over
to this point but I recently hit a few woods when looking for a new driver just for fun and found they are much easier to hit now than they used to be. My swing while not pretty has matured to the point where I handle the club much better which has something to do with it.

As for the wedge game. The old set only went down to a P wedge and again I didn't really learn using anything but a pitching wedge and I learned so many shots with that I didn't find a need for additional wedges. There was some value to learning that way but my short game now lags behind the rest of my game and I think that's due in part to my lack of wedge experience.

Adding a wedge to keep gapping at 4-6* between each wedge usually never hurts. The other recommendation is to add at the top between driver and longest iron. It could be a 3H or a wood of some sort. Knowing what distance you hit your clubs would help in recommending where/what to add.

Back