Meeting my golf Challenges.....

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
One of the biggest obstacles I constantly work to overcome is a left leg war injury. My left left is 2 inches shorter than my right, due to lost section of bone in mt thigh, and I have a drop foot cause by nerve damage from gunshot wounds, which basically means I can't voluntarily flex my left ankle. Most times I wear a leg brace to correct that function, attached to a built up shoe to compensate for the shortage. There is a huge difference in my swing when I wear the brace and when I don't.

Sometimes while playing golf, I remove the brace, to allow for more movement of my lower leg without getting bound up by the brace. If I am not real careful the brace could easily break my leg or damage my knee, depending on the amount of exertion caused by my swing and follow through.

Today I met with my Veterans Administration PT and OT advisers and my prosthetic's counselor, and they have arranged for an appointment with a prosthetic company to make me a substitute "Sports friendly" with an eye to my golf swing, brace made of pliable material that will fit into a specially made golf shoe built up to compensate for leg shortage and still do it's job. I start the process this week and it's all pretty exciting. It's another positive example of how the V.A. focuses on veteran's needs, in spite of the occasional bad publicity.

10383760_10152372342168401_6711068602712427532_o.jpg

Very awesome!

Back