3W recommendations

Last edited:
I still bag a V Steel 3w just because it is the most consistent I have used. Tried the SF 2.0, RBZ, RBZ stage 2, Cally X Hot, and numerous others. Though many newer ones gave more distance and a larger sweet spot, I have trouble controlling the flight and hitting a fade when I need to. The V steel has a steel shaft, so I may try a newer one with steel rather than graphite. That could help with control a bit more.

Bio Cell 3W hands down for me. I've played almost every 3w this year and I was shocked at the results I had with this club. With the White Tie shaft it's ridiculously long and forgiving. I would definitely give it a look if I were you.

Bio Cell 3W hands down for me. I've played almost every 3w this year and I was shocked at the results I had with this club. With the White Tie shaft it's ridiculously long and forgiving. I would definitely give it a look if I were you.

And you hit that thing incredibly well from all the swings I saw with it.

And you hit that thing incredibly well from all the swings I saw with it.

I appreciate that!

It was so effortless. And it has incredible distance for a 3w.

The newest Adams Tight Lies is stupid easy to hit. Probably not as long as others, but still nice when you get ahold of one.
I tried it against the SLDR and X2hot and it was just as long

If you're on a budget, I would recommend the Nike VR-s. Best 3 wood I ever played - surprises me most every time I use it .... keeps getting better with time.

The TM 200 steel were unbelievable FW's. I gamed a 3 and 5 wood YEARS ago when I had the game to hit them well. I'd give the TM SLDR family a try - either the SLDR-S, or the adjustable SLDR. I currently have the SLDR 3HL and its pretty easy to hit. My buddy has the SLDR 3W and hits the heck out of it.

Good luck in your search for a 3 wood.

I've been gaming my Taylor Made 200 steel 3w for a decade, and it is long past time to finally upgrade this club! I'm looking for a forgiving, reliable 3W that is suitable for an improving 20-handicapper. Stiff shaft. I know I will need to make the final decision based on actually hitting the clubs, but any insight you can give to help me narrow down my choices would be appreciated!

BTW - not that it matters, but my bag includes cobra irons and driver, Cleveland hybos, and Titleist wedges. In other words, I have no brand allegiances. :)

The best performing and easiest to hit of this years models that I have tried is the Cleveland 588 custom woods (and I don't hit fairways well from the fairway, generally speaking) but I do these. You might want to try the 14° three wood in this model as it was just as easy to hit as the 15.5°, at least for me. The real sleeper in this group is the 20.5°, 7-wood. Very easy to hit and gives a nice ball flight that while high it is penetrating.

I still game a set of 2006 Cleveland Launcher Steel fairway woods. They're a more traditionally sized and shaped wood that plays really well. I think they're still a sleeper pick even after 8 years.

I prefer the cleveland classic 3 wood. Great feel, explodes off the face.

My only club I'm consistent with is my Cobra AMP 3W. I can bomb that thing off a tee or the not so fairway.

Knock on wood, but I have yet to hit a bad shot with my new Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood. Great flight off the deck or the tee.

I say Ben Hogan. The club crushes!!

If you're on a budget, I would recommend the Nike VR-s. Best 3 wood I ever played - surprises me most every time I use it .... keeps getting better with time.

I've got the 4W. It's an incredibly solid club.

WOW, not one recommendation for the original RBZ 3 wood. For a 20 handicap there is no way in the world this club is not a serious contender.
i think they are $99 new and they are awesome. i had mine painted black because i dont like white clubs but DAMN they are good!!!

WOW, not one recommendation for the original RBZ 3 wood. For a 20 handicap there is no way in the world this club is not a serious contender.
i think they are $99 new and they are awesome. i had mine painted black because i dont like white clubs but DAMN they are good!!!
I second this. It really is a good club and treated me well for many rounds. Surprising how easy it is to hit.

While the original RBZ was long I'd have to say as a mid to high handicap player I found the stage 2 to be more forgiving. Both solid woods. Similar distance but my misses with the stage 2 are noticeably less severe.

I second this. It really is a good club and treated me well for many rounds. Surprising how easy it is to hit.

Was just coming in to put my recommendation in for the original RBZ. My 3 wood is so long I almost made my previous driver obsolete.

While the original RBZ was long I'd have to say as a mid to high handicap player I found the stage 2 to be more forgiving. Both solid woods. Similar distance but my misses with the stage 2 are noticeably less severe.

Was just coming in to put my recommendation in for the original RBZ. My 3 wood is so long I almost made my previous driver obsolete.

I had the RBZ and loved it then got the stage 2 and it was defiantly a straighter club for me but about the same distance but since went to the RFE. My father however "borrowed for life" my stage 2 and loves it.

Another vote for Cobra Bio Cells..... Long, straight and easy..... part of what got me back into golf!

I didn't care for that one. Different strokes...

The quality of fairway woods have really improved over the last 3 seasons. While I don't personally play them, I have to give credit to TM with the RBZ. It caused everyone in the industry to up level their FW offerings. The fairway wood is the club (to me) that seems to have had a lot of innovation over the past couple of years across the board by all OEMs. Yes, the drivers are sexier with more whiz bangs, but this seems to be the club where the performance has actually improved.

There are a lot of great offerings out there. I'd suggest doing a general internet search for "most wanted fairway wood 2014" and see what comes up. At your handicap, you should have a decently consistent swing. Find the subset that matches your swing speed, and you'll have some good candidates to narrow your list with.

The other advice I'd give for FW shopping is to think about your use cases. Pick the deep or shallow head, the sole shape, and the head size based on whether you want to hit from the tee, from the deck, or more one way or another. In my bag, I carry two types of FWS -- ones that are shallower and more contoured for hitting off the deck and one that is deeper, flatter and max COR for a secondary tee option.

If I were to purchase a 2014 FW, I'd only be interested in two models -- the Adams Tight Lies and the Cleveland 588. I'm a lower swing speed player though and this would be to target for just off of the deck.

"I recently started playing the Callaway Razr fit extreme 4 wood and its by far one of the most forgiving clubs I ever hit."

i Have the 3 wood, picked up a new one from cally preowned when they had the warehouse sale, i love it,

Back