What part of your game prevents you from shooting your best right now?

It's funny, my GI iron experience has been a little different. I haven't picked up as much distance as you, around a club, but I feel wildly more accurate with them. My GIR numbers for my last 2 rounds were the highest I've had in the last year and a half. Could have to do with the fact that the CB3's are more of a tweener type iron, though - I don't know if I would call them a full GI stick.
It's ridiculous. If you told me 3 months ago that I would gain 1.5 clubs distance but become a worse iron player I'd have said you were nuts.
I'm going to keep trying to get better because the distance is intoxicating, but they have been served notice that they better shape up.

BACK!!!

It's ridiculous. If you told me 3 months ago that I would gain 1.5 clubs distance but become a worse iron player I'd have said you were nuts.
I'm going to keep trying to get better because the distance is intoxicating, but they have been served notice that they better shape up.

Yeah, it's definitely bizarre. Have you considered tossing the J40 short irons in and creating a combo set? This way maybe you get some of your old short iron precision back, but still get to enjoy the extra distance and forgiveness in the mid and long irons.

Two things: wedges and my 6 hybrid.

My swing change I think is complete for now with the full swings, really really happy with where that is so now it's time to focus on the short game. Going to put in 75% of my practice the next few weeks on wedges from 40y and in, my distance control with them has been awful.

Also I am looking at replacing my 6hy with an iron-based head of some type. Looking at Baffler XL and the New Idea 6 hyron for starters. That single club has been killing me, and it's a distance (160-175) I find myself in just enough. Something about the weight of that one club is way off, and I cannot do much other than a push/slice. It feels too light, no other club feels that way. No other club in my bag has that problem really, which is just weird. Going to try out a few options and then see what I can buy for a single iron that fits that distance.

EDIT: I dusted off my 6i from my first golf set, a Spalding set over 20 years old. Took some swings with it and it felt just right. It confirms my desire to get back to an iron head for 6i. I then took my 5 hybrid and hit it just fine as well. SO that seems to be my natural switching point from irons to hybrids.

Last edited:
Right now I'm super frustrated with my iron play. Switching from a players cavity to a GI iron seems to have given tons of distance but I've really lost whatever precision I used to have. I'm not sure how much of this is the clubs fault and how much is my fault but I'm tempted to go back

I did the same exact thing. I went back to a players cavity back and what a difference. For some reason with the GI irons I felt like I had to help them to move the ball left to right and it resulted in some bad snap hooks. I think that combined with not having the right shaft combo in them doomed them in the end. I wanted to like them but we just never could really get along. I'm just as long with the new cavity blades as I was with the GI irons. A thin shot is obvioulsy a little more punished but I'll take that to gain the accuracy I have with these new irons.

ha, it's definitely my putting, but hard to blame one particular part of my putting. I'm not making enough 3, 5 and 6 footers, and I'm not lagging it inside of three feet enough. So I would say that my putting all around needs some work.

Back