DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, as always I put it in the drink. This hole has me by the short and curlies and my heart and mind ain't following. While I had one of my better rounds, one of my better rounds may not be so good for many others. What actually made my day was number 9. I pared it for the first time ever. Its a rather long (at least for me) par 4 and has an environmental type area just before the green. Hit a nice drive, laid up the the junk and put a wedge to 2 feet, made the putt for par. Again, first time ever.

Yep, as always I put it in the drink. This hole has me by the short and curlies and my heart and mind ain't following. While I had one of my better rounds, one of my better rounds may not be so good for many others. What actually made my day was number 9. I pared it for the first time ever. Its a rather long (at least for me) par 4 and has an environmental type area just before the green. Hit a nice drive, laid up the the junk and put a wedge to 2 feet, made the putt for par. Again, first time ever.

Excuse me a 4 on number 9 is a birdie, the scorecard has an error, it should read Par 5 not par 4.

Although thanks to VTNerf we got to hit a 9 iron into that green in a scramble last year.

Love me some River Marsh!
17 is interesting, but 13 may be quirkier. The green looks relatively benign, but it slopes HARD to the right towards the marsh. Even to the point of just playing to the front of the green even when the pin is back. I take a club less there, and one more on 17. Sucky thing on 17, I made it across the other night to the back collection area and we still made 4 in a 2 man scramble! I call BS!!!!

I love the drive on #9. Just fits my eye for some reason. Hit to to the depression at the end of the fairway the other night, with wedge in. Then ran a fox off the fairway, nearly into the side of a ground hog. Neither of them saw each other until they were about 5 feet apart, and they nearly collided with me not too far behind in a cart. Funny stuff!

Love me some River Marsh!
17 is interesting, but 13 may be quirkier. The green looks relatively benign, but it slopes HARD to the right towards the marsh. Even to the point of just playing to the front of the green even when the pin is back. I take a club less there, and one more on 17. Sucky thing on 17, I made it across the other night to the back collection area and we still made 4 in a 2 man scramble! I call BS!!!!

I love the drive on #9. Just fits my eye for some reason. Hit to to the depression at the end of the fairway the other night, with wedge in. Then ran a fox off the fairway, nearly into the side of a ground hog. Neither of them saw each other until they were about 5 feet apart, and they nearly collided with me not too far behind in a cart. Funny stuff!
Just curious..have you ever reached the hazard from the tee on No. 9. I know that's a poke, but reachable for some including you. What is is about 320 or 330 to it?

I haven't made it in. I've been in the rough, which is probably 330ish or so, hitting the speed slot past the bunker to get a good kick.

I haven't made it in. I've been in the rough, which is probably 330ish or so, hitting the speed slot past the bunker to get a good kick.
I really missed playing that course this year. And the way my schedule is shaping up, I don't know if I could get over there before my season ends in late September in Florida. Although UVAWahoo has been trying to convince me to come over again.

I'm sure it's playing fast and firm these days with the little rain that we've had (until this past Sunday)

Actually, almost the opposite. Well, at least on Wednesday nights. They have gone to cutting 3 holes on like Friday, and placing spacers in the other 2 they aren't using. Then, they just move the cup. But come Wednesday, it's beat up because it's been there for 3 days. Then, they water the greens like they are being paid by the gallon. Lumpy, pocked with ball marks, spike drags, foot prints. It's crazy. And the landing areas, bail out areas, and the walking paths from cart to green are where the drains are. Bad design concept....

That being said, I love the layout, and when it's in shape, it's awesome. Two weeks ago we had 4 putts break 4 different ways because of the conditions...but that was just the worst night. I think with the rain this past weekend, they should be cut tomorrow so they should be in good shape this Wednesday.

Oh that is odd. But as you said, still a great layout and good food in the clubhouse as well :)

Yeah, it's been odd this year. But from what the members that I play with say, Saturdays it looks tight! Just gets scraggly Tues-Wed before they go all out on Thursdays.
Has made for some deep rough this year too!

Reading your postings I know you play on the eastern shore. CAA-Beat has told me that ya''ll have played together. So I've often thought it would be great to get together for a round somewhere. But hearing how well you play, I think that playing with me would just frustrate you. As the saying goes-you play a game with which I am not familiar. I would just embarrass myself.

No worries. As long as you don't brain me w a club, the beer is cold, and you don't take 5 hours to shoot 127, we're good. Golf is a 4 letter word and we all have our frustrations. We'll see if we can meet up sometime!

DC MD VA Area Chat

Reading your postings I know you play on the eastern shore. CAA-Beat has told me that ya''ll have played together. So I've often thought it would be great to get together for a round somewhere. But hearing how well you play, I think that playing with me would just frustrate you. As the saying goes-you play a game with which I am not familiar. I would just embarrass myself.

No worries playing with VT. He's about as kicked back as they come. He was even nice enough to let me make a putt or two in that Tournament since we probably used every one of his drives.

Dude drove one green, on another one he put it in the bunker pin high...oh I didn't get to putt that one, because he holed out his bunker shot.

He had us in reach of every par 5, most times with a mid iron in his hand.

And lastly the driver he was using that day has been relegated to the sideline as it spun too much.

Ok end of the VTNerf is long post, as it's pretty obvious.

A good guy to play with, iid like for us together sometime soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words my man. Enjoyed that round and the great company. Was truly a fun one! Soon...

I'm going with a group down to pinehurst this fall. Looking to play a course near the NC line on the way down. Any ideas?

Well it's not really near the line more north of Raleigh, but right off Route 1.

Heritage at Wake Forest was one of our courses to play on the way in.

Other times we would stop north of Richmond around 8 or 9 AM and play Mattaponni Springs. We would finish up, grab a burger get back on the road and be in Pinehurst in time for dinner at the Pine Crest Inn.

DC MD VA Area Chat

UPDATE:

I have two times booked, 9:40 and 9:50

Thanks to emart2173 for jumping in.

We've got 8!!! Way to go guys. We can work out groupings later. I'm assuming the T2GRN18 household will be 3/4 of one group.

T2GRN18
YoungBuck
Lee
CAA_BEAT
G$$$
Jimonious
UVAWahoo
Emart2173

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Well after a quick chat with Kevin, it appears we are all set for August 17th at Renditions (in Davidsonville, MD)

Right now we have 4 confirmed, those of you who posted earlier you were interested let me know if you can make it. Room for four more.

T2GRN18
YoungBuck
Lee
CAA_BEAT

I'll play.

JonD:
Agreed. When I was still dating and didn't have kids, the 5 hour rounds didn't bother me as much. Now, being married and with two kids, I'm lucky to even get out lately so every minute on the course counts.
Two weeks ago, I played 27 holes at Glendale Golf Course. The first 18 flew as there wasn't anyone that didn't keep up the pace of play (we had a threesome playing). So much so that two of us decided to get another 9 holes in. Well, we got stuck behind a foursome of members there that basically made us waiting on every hole to the point the twosome behind us joined us about 5 holes in. There was a visible two hole lag between the group in front of us and the nearest group in front of them (and I'm sure that went to 3 holes at one point). I watched the group in front and they literally would shoot the breeze on the tee box with no one going to tee it up and with obvious disregard to the pace of play. They clearly saw us behind them and while I didn't expect them to let us through (we were a twosome at this point and keep right with them), it would of been nice if they at least picked the pace up. Ruined a otherwise beautiful day golfing.

MDHacker

Glendale was like that the times I played there as well. You could be rolling along one minute, then get stuck pretty suddenly. I played with a group of three there last fall and we had the opposite- the first 9 were very slow, but the second 9 flew. I guess the slower groups in front of us bailed after 9. I will say there was a pretty nasty incident while we were there because of it. On the second or third hole, a guy hit into a group of players twice. On the second time one of the guys in the group that was hit into spun around and yelled "don't you ever hit into us you lousy mother f---er" and hit the ball hard back up course at the offender. That was one angry golfer.

No worries. As long as you don't brain me w a club, the beer is cold, and you don't take 5 hours to shoot 127, we're good. Golf is a 4 letter word and we all have our frustrations. We'll see if we can meet up sometime!

VTnerf, I really appreciate that, since you know what you may be in for, I would definitely enjoy a round with you. Now all we need to do is to find a way to get CAA-Beat to join us.

UPDATE:
Well after a quick chat with Kevin, it appears we are all set for August 17th at Renditions (in Davidsonville, MD)

Right now we have 4 confirmed, those of you who posted earlier you were interested let me know if you can make it. Room for four more.

T2GRN18
YoungBuck
Lee
CAA_BEAT
G$$$

I would love to join you. But as we have discussed, with my game, I find that I can embarrass myself. Put me down as an alternate just in case a spot needs to be filled.

I would love to join you. But as we have discussed, with my game, I find that I can embarrass myself. Put me down as an alternate just in case a spot needs to be filled.

Are you forgetting who had the lower score the last time we played...barely thou jabs we both kept it in doubt digits....So come on you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure we will be playing the reasonable tees.

VTnerf, I really appreciate that, since you know what you may be in for, I would definitely enjoy a round with you. Now all we need to do is to find a way to get CAA-Beat to join us.

I'll try depending on when you guys do it.

UPDATE:

T2GRN18
YoungBuck
Lee
CAA_BEAT
G$$$
Damn can't make this one but really wish I could. You guys will have a blast though. Enjoy it and take pics for us.

I'll try depending on when you guys do it.
Might have to line something up for the spring. My oldest is playing middle school, travel, local rec team, and one more league soccer. Yes, 4 teams. Saturdays and Sundays, plus tournaments, plus Mon/Wed for school. And that's just games.................
I TRY to schedule time for Hokie football games, but that has become a dinosaur too. Hoping to make it down this year for the Miami game. Hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back