Fruits and Vegetables

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been trying to leave behind the processed foods and really get into fruits and vegetables throughout the day. I'm wondering where you find the best produce and the best prices? Farmer's markets? Roadside stands? Certain stores?

Some of the stores around here have left a bad taste in my mouth regarding quality and freshness.

Any advice?

I can't grow a garden by the way. The HOA doesn't allow that in my neighborhood unfortunately.

I've been trying to leave behind the processed foods and really get into fruits and vegetables throughout the day. I'm wondering where you find the best produce and the best prices? Farmer's markets? Roadside stands? Certain stores?

Some of the stores around here have left a bad taste in my mouth regarding quality and freshness.

Any advice?

I can't grow a garden by the way. The HOA doesn't allow that in my neighborhood unfortunately.

I just started the paleo diet so I am all about fruits and veggies right now, and getting rid of all the processed crap too. Whole Foods is a great place for organic items, but it can get expensive! Farmer's markets are a wonderful option if you have some near you. Your local grocery store might have an organic section. I know our grocery store, Publix, has their GreenWise section which is all organic items. They also have online delivery services that will deliver organic goods to your door, but I am sure they aren't cheap. I believe you can find them on Amazon.

Oh, and frozen fruits and veggies aren't a bad thing. They are flash frozen at their peak of ripeness.

Another thing, you don't have to go organic (and now that I think about it, I don't think you asked for that), but anything with a thick skin like citrus and melons can be conventional, things with thin skins like apples, grapes, etc, are usually better organic. The thick skinned items won't feel the affects of the pesticides, but the thin skinned ones will.

Fruits and Vegetables

Farmers Markets for sure. You might pay a bit more but the variety and quality of a good FM recant be beat.

Here are a couple of pix from a recent visit we took to one in my area
aqyty3e3.jpg

uva4uhep.jpg

egu4yvy4.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if you have any close to you, but where we are there are quite a few market/nursery type operations with fresh fruits and vegetables that are much better than the grocery stores. Also, I 2nd the frozen fruits and veggies idea. The fresh ones go bad quickly, especially berries.

I just started the paleo diet so I am all about fruits and veggies right now, and getting rid of all the processed crap too. Whole Foods is a great place for organic items, but it can get expensive! Farmer's markets are a wonderful option if you have some near you. Your local grocery store might have an organic section. I know our grocery store, Publix, has their GreenWise section which is all organic items. They also have online delivery services that will deliver organic goods to your door, but I am sure they aren't cheap. I believe you can find them on Amazon.

Oh, and frozen fruits and veggies aren't a bad thing. They are flash frozen at their peak of ripeness.

Another thing, you don't have to go organic (and now that I think about it, I don't think you asked for that), but anything with a thick skin like citrus and melons can be conventional, things with thin skins like apples, grapes, etc, are usually better organic. The thick skinned items won't feel the affects of the pesticides, but the thin skinned ones will.
We've started thinking about the Paleo as well and are inching our way there. Thanks for the advice!

Thread subscribed. When I lived in NYC it was actually easier to find farmers markets with fresh fruit, than now living upstate in Albany (maybe I'm just not trying). But I miss eating healthy, and definitely need to make a change.

I am only on day 3, but so far so good. If you guys decide to do it let me know, we can swap recipes. I have made a few good ones already.
My friend started the paleo after she was diagnosed with MS and it's turned her life around for the better. We're working on picking up a few books and learning more about it but I'll certainly let u know what we find :)

I really want to do an indoor hydroponic herb garden with maybe some veggies and tomato. I made a thread about it the other day hoping someone could tell me if they have one and like it, but so far nothing. I would much rather grow my own inside. I have been thinking about something like this where you don't have to worry about, soil, lights or anything http://www.aerogarden.com/

Depending on your personal level of comfort, not all fruits and veggies are the same. You sill may be dealing with GMO food at a lot of those places. If that doesn't bother you, then no big deal. If it does, make sure you do your research on just how "fresh" their food really is. Especially when it comes to fruits, there is a lot of crap they'll spray on them to grow bigger and last longer than truly organic ones do.

I really want to do an indoor hydroponic herb garden with maybe some veggies and tomato. I made a thread about it the other day hoping someone could tell me if they have one and like it, but so far nothing. I would much rather grow my own inside. I have been thinking about something like this where you don't have to worry about, soil, lights or anything http://www.aerogarden.com/
That's incredibly awesome. We'd need a bigger house..... Or less of Becky's clothes for something like that. Fantastic idea though.

Here are two books my friend recommends if u want to check them out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009GULWLG?pc_redir=1406269784&robot_redir=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1936608367?pc_redir=1406537380&robot_redir=1

Frozen is a great option. We do this for almost all of our veggies (green beans, broccoli, peas, carrots, corn). And the frozen doesn't have any salt added, like most canned do. All the nutrients are still there, due to the flash frozen process. And, the F&V don't go bad, which reduces trips to the store. Buy the big bag, take out enough for that meal. Then, put the rest back in the freezer for tomorrow.

For frozen broccoli, make sure you check the bag description for "florets". Normal bags will be mostly stems.

That's incredibly awesome. We'd need a bigger house..... Or less of Becky's clothes for something like that. Fantastic idea though.

Here are two books my friend recommends if u want to check them out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009GULWLG?pc_redir=1406269784&robot_redir=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1936608367?pc_redir=1406537380&robot_redir=1

I actually follow the Against All Grain blog, it's a good one. I just got this book from Amazon. I plan to dive into it this weekend. There are a ton of amazing blogs out there that have recipes and info on Paleo. It's been super helpful.

We've done a CSA the last few years. Having a box of random veggies dumped on us once a week has helped us diversify a lot in terms of what we eat. Fun to try to find new recipes. The one we did this year has been really helpful in terms of suggesting what to make with the stuff we're getting. Farmers markets are also a great place to go.

Any advice?

Have to agree with GG in your part of the world Whole Foods is probably a great choice. With being here in Cali produce is very easy to come by.

I would check out some COOP programs also, we have one we buy from that we love.

Have to agree with GG in your part of the world Whole Foods is probably a great choice. With being here in Cali produce is very easy to come by.

I would check out some COOP programs also, we have one we buy from that we love.
I'll check into a CO-OP if I can find one :)

Fruits and Vegetables

I'd checkout the farmers markets but make sure it's local stuff. Luckily we have a huge garden out back. Between the markets and our stuff we don't buy much from the store anymore. I've been buying fruit from Costco and just keep an eye on it.

I actually work for the publisher of The Paleo Diet. How do you like it?

To OP, there are several good places depending on your area. I know here in CF we have a place called Fancy Fruit & Produce. We also have a lot of farmers markets. Often times you can get great prices from farmers markets. Just be sure to use or eat quickly as they spoil faster without all the preservatives to make them last on shelves.

I never thought about a co-op before. We have quite a few here in the area, I am going to look into that.

It appears as though we have 4 or 5 in the area here. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Last edited:
I actually work for the publisher of The Paleo Diet. How do you like it?

To OP, there are several good places depending on your area. I know here in CF we have a place called Fancy Fruit & Produce. We also have a lot of farmers markets. Often times you can get great prices from farmers markets. Just be sure to use or eat quickly as they spoil faster without all the preservatives to make them last on shelves.

It's only been 3 days, but so far so good. I am still struggling on what to eat for lunch and for snacks. I am going to start doing bulk cooking on Sunday so that I have meals for the week. But I could still use some help with snacks. I am going strict Paleo for 30 days, the hardest part so far is no coffee haha.

Are you following a Paleo lifestyle, or just work for the publisher?

I am only on day 3, but so far so good. If you guys decide to do it let me know, we can swap recipes. I have made a few good ones already.

I just finished whole 30 which was paleo to a t. Except you couldn't eat grains of any kind. I lost 15 pounds over 30 days.

I know I don't get enough fruit and veggies and I for sure know my kiddos don't. That is why we are starting our year long experiment with Juice Plus. I have heard wonderful things from friends that take them so the whole family is going on them for the next year. We shall see!! Thanks to Matt (mmaynard11) for hooking us up!

I just finished whole 30 which was paleo to a t. Except you couldn't eat grains of any kind. I lost 15 pounds over 30 days.

I am basically doing that too. I am not consuming any grains, sugar (not even honey), dairy or refined goods. It's only lean meat, veggies and some fruit (mostly berries). I made the most delicious cauliflower fried "rice" last night. I just hate the cost of buying all the fresh stuff, so I would love to, if nothing else, grow fresh herbs in my house. I may just bite the bullet and get the aerogarden. I was really hoping someone on here would have some advice for me, but it seems everyone grows their stuff outside, and that's not an option for me.

Are you still doing paleo? Have any great recipes you want to share? I could use some breakfast and snack ideas.

Yes. I love utilizing slap ya mama Cajun seasoning on my fish and chicken. I used a lot of Louisiana hot sauce on my eggs for flavor.

I love to slice zucchini and squash really thin and broil it. I season it with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, teaspoon Cajun seasoning, teaspoon salt. Makes incredible veggies.

I never thought about a co-op before. We have quite a few here in the area, I am going to look into that.

It appears as though we have 4 or 5 in the area here. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

We did this for a while when we lived in Albuquerque. We ended up getting a bunch of things we couldn't use or didn't care for.

Back