Tech Talk - Driver Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP TV sits down with Don from Project X to discuss how graphite shafts are made. Tons of great information in this video explaining how they create torque and stiffness.

Pretty dang cool. Would have never guessed that's how the components of the graphite shaft started out.

Ok that is not what I pictured when I was tHinking about what goes in to making a graphite shaft. Very cool

Very cool to see it laid out like that.

Very cool. I learned something.

1) To see the "kit" and the different parts laid out there is cool as heck. NOT what I expected.

2) To hear the explanation of what each part of the kit controls as far as torque/butt/tip/etc is even cooler.

3) That dude is SMART. That was loaded with technical info in just one short minute.

That is pretty trippy stuff. Love seeing how they work with the raw materials. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, pretty cool stuff.

Pretty cool to see the build kit. Very interesting.

And that won't be the last video on graphite either

Ok so questions:

So is the varying stiffnesses applied with in a single shaft? Don mentioned the short sections for butt stiffness or tip stiffness.

If they do use the different stiffness flats in a shaft. Does that have a direct relationship to the sum of those flats used. Like 500 + 500 =1000 or is there a indirect relationship to the varying flat values? Like 850?

That was full of info for such a quick video. Very cool to see the different raw materials and how they affect the make up of the end result.

Would be cool to see how they get the tip/butt ends to 'connect' to the main body of material. Thanks for the great video!

Nudge for this, its a short watch and well worth your time to do so if you think you have any idea the tech that goes into the graphite shafts in you drivers.

It's incredible to see what's something started out as and what goes into it and why. Is it safe to say that every shaft made with those materials this way could have limitless possibilities.

Man that is a fantastic amount of info packed into that short video. That was pretty cool. I'm not really into all the different shafts and I'm geeking out over that a little bit.

What happens if you don't use the shorter flights and just go one length?

Wow very cool coming from the experts on shafts. :thumb: Thanks guys for sharing this and educating us consumers :clapp:

Hmm that was pretty interesting, didn't know all about the graphite shaft. Thanks THP for that great video..

If the torque is controlled by the angles of fibers in the flags. He mentioned 45 and -45 degree what does going to 30 degrees do? More or less torque?

That was so neat. Now I want a whole "how it's made" episode on graphite shafts.

Very informative video! As my education in equipment continues this video will go towards me understanding shafts and their construction a bit more.

I don't know why anyone would want graphite on their shafts. pfffffft

:egyptian:

very cool vid!

Holy graphite info batman. Looking forward to some more videos.

Back