Taylormade Penta TP - Forum Review Thread

I cannot say whether or not the Penta would be as long because it is different for everybody. The Srixon is geared towards swings around that number, so that works well. As for the Penta, my SS is about 95 and I get great distance with it.

Would the Penta or this yellow Srixon be suitable for a 90-95mph Driver SS hitter? Similar to the B330-RX or RXS balls? Would they be as long etc?

I play both the B330-RXS and the Penta, and I've gotta say, I the Penta is a bit longer than the B330-RXS for me. Go figure...

I just played the Penta yesterday for the first time since I reviewed the ball, and again, had one of the better 9-hole rounds I've shot. Hit 6 of 7 FIR, and 4 of 9 GIR. A couple of the missed greens were just slightly off on the fringe. This ball is just something else!

Which ball has more greenside iron spin, the b330rxs or the penta?

The Penta

which ball finds the bottom of the cup more often? j/k

seriously though, i've been gaming the z star and the E6 solely for the past year or so and recently decided to buy a 3 pack of the pentas just b/c of all the great stuff that was being said about them on here. for me, it's a wonderful golf ball. it's slightly longer than the E6 off the tee but it just feels so much softer/better. imo, the penta by far outperforms the E6 around the greens and to me is very similar to the zstar out of the fairway and on the greens. i will continue to use the penta, b/c honestly, it's the best feeling golf ball i've ever played, and to me it helps breed confidence.

which ball finds the bottom of the cup more often? j/k

seriously though, i've been gaming the z star and the E6 solely for the past year or so and recently decided to buy a 3 pack of the pentas just b/c of all the great stuff that was being said about them on here. for me, it's a wonderful golf ball. it's slightly longer than the E6 off the tee but it just feels so much softer/better. imo, the penta by far outperforms the E6 around the greens and to me is very similar to the zstar out of the fairway and on the greens. i will continue to use the penta, b/c honestly, it's the best feeling golf ball i've ever played, and to me it helps breed confidence.

You couldn't find the bottom of the cup with a seeing eye dog tc, lol. I started using the E6 some yesterday and really loved the ball. When they say it's straight their not kidding. I do miss those Pentas though. We still don't have them anywhere around here. I hope to get to Lincoln and find some soon. I really miss the stopping spin I get with them. I may just have to get some on order, I just hate waiting on the mailman, lol.

Welcome to the Penta club, TC. Yes, the Penta has more spin greenside. And at my local shop, the Penta and B330-RXS are the same price, and are $5 cheaper than ProV1s. Kind of a no-brainer...

I've now played 54 straight holes with the same penta ball, quite the feat if you ask me. I don't know what it is but this ball really works for me. I hit 14/14 fairways the other day, I'll be going for 72 straight today.

Played several holes today with the Penta, and the rest with the yellow Z Star. For me the Penta seems a little hotter off the driver, and it obviously spins really well. I nicely backed up two short iron shots today. I know they can be hooked, because one took a quacking nose dive into a pond on the fifth hole. I have to say, though, I liked the yellow. Penta should go yellow. I think both these balls compare favorably to ProVs.

Kevin

Exactly the same for me Esox. I LOVE the Penta. But I just simply love the yellow so much.

Finally, I have them back, lol. Liz decided to go shopping as I headed to the course today and she found me a case of Pennta balls at Sheels Outdoors. I played so well today, in a gail, but I can only imagine what tomorrow will bring with these balls. The course I played today was wide open to the wind, so a low spin still shot across the dry green's. A high lob drifted so bad it was anyones guess where you ended up. Tomorrow, weatherman permitting, the wind will be down and my lobs will be up, hehe. I almost cryed when she showed me what she found... I know I'm pathetic, lmao.

P1020342.jpg

P1020343.jpg

ps: Sacul1573 offered to send me some if I didn't find them around here. Thank you so much. That was extremely nice.

geez duey, that liz of yours is one wonderful woman!

geez duey, that liz of yours is one wonderful woman!

Yes she is, but keep it quiet. I don't want her to know that, lol. I have truely been blessed.

Exactly the same for me Esox. I LOVE the Penta. But I just simply love the yellow so much.

I know. My vision is poor, but I can see these land when I hit them. Played with a guy today that hit it about as long as me, and I rarely saw his land. I'm sold for now. I think other companies are crazy if they don't come out with yellow.

Sorry to be praising the Srixon in the Penta thread. I think the Penta is probably a bit superior overall, especially off the driver. For me anyway, but I want yellow. I need yellow.

Kevin

Yes she is, but keep it quiet. I don't want her to know that, lol. I have truely been blessed.

i just feel bad for all of those E6's you won, haha. they'll be collecting dust now that your a putting "phenom" and that you're gaming the pentas.

Glad you found 'em Due! Enjoy them on the course, and dont lose them too soon!

Put 3 full rounds in with the Pentas. I have to say, i've never had straighter drives in my entire life and i'm only 3 rounds deep into the season. Generally the beginning is when the tee shots are at their wildest.......

My approach shots have been borderline disgusting i have to say so it's tough to rate these balls on that front, i did find that when i did hit the green the ball stayed. On one approach i hit in with a 5 iron and the ball stopped approx 5 ft from the pitch mark, seems pretty decent coming in from about 175 yards out.

Chipping also hasn't been the greatest as it is fairly early in the season. I was on the chipping green using both a penta and a Pro V1, both performed essentially exactly the same on the same type of shots. The roll out and check up was almost identical. If the balls weren't labled i wouldn't have known what i was hitting.

These balls also feel very similar coming off the putter. I putt with an Odyssey Black series i #9 putter. it has an insert which makes it difficult to feel if one ball is harder than another, they all feel pretty similar. The Pro V1 and the Penta both felt pretty much the same to me.

I'd also like to mention this ball performs unbelievably in the wind........i was playing on saturday in winds gusting up to at least 40km/hr and this ball barely budges in a crosswind. Don't get me wrong, the wind does still affect the ball, but significantly less than any other ball i've ever played. There were several occasions i played my shots to compensate for the wind and ended up compensating too much because the ball was barely affected. I don't think i've ever played in such strong winds in my entire life and this ball played as if there were just a slight breeze. Unreal.

One other thing i'd like to note:
I'm not sure if this is an act of god or an indication of the performance of this ball but i have played the same Penta ball for 47 holes now. I've rung this thing off a few trees, it's come to rest on a few cart paths, it's ended up in some bushes, and although i have been lucky on at least one occasion to find this ball, it's still in pretty remarkable shape. there are a few marks on it and you can definitely tell it's been hit a few times and has hit a few things, but definitely still playable. I've never played the same ball through a full round nevermind two and a half rounds......unreal. If i do lose balls it tends to be off the tee when the shots slice dramatically into the woods but i have not hit any shots of that sort with this ball.......unreal.

Anyways, that was my two cents on this ball so far, i still have 10 left of the dozen i bought and plan on picking up more now that the local store gives you an free sleeve of them when you buy a dozen.

What a great ball.

i love the feel of the penta off the driver but i have been experiencing a higher ball flight off of the irons. is this normal? anyone else having this happen? i hit a high ball anyway but the penta off of my irons seems to be coming up a little shorter than the E6's.

I have not seen this happen TC. Are you getting a little ballooning? If that is the case, it could be keeping you shorter and it could be due to how straight the e6 is.

I have not seen this happen TC. Are you getting a little ballooning? If that is the case, it could be keeping you shorter and it could be due to how straight the e6 is.

i don't know if it's ballooning or not to tell you the truth. like i said, i hit everything high, which doesn't really bother me, but the penta is about 3-5 yards shorter off the irons than the E6. the problem is, i love the penta off the tee. it just feels better. i don't mind that it's a bit spinnier on/around the greens but it's difficult clubbing myself with the irons. i guess i just need to adjust accordingly.

what constitutes ballooning? is that just when the ball goes high and nowhere? i wouldn't say that the ball goes nowhere. i would hit my 8 iron from 157-160 with the E6 and with the penta i would hit a 7.

TC, yesterday was my first time back out with the Penta since the test last year. Distance wise I came up a little shorter with the Penta versus the E6, but most of that was from roll out on the green. Air time seemed much the same. I had one shot out of the rough that was 140 straight into the wind to the flag. I clubed up for the wind and rough, hit a seven iron that flew over the flag and stuck about 10 inches from the divot and three feet past the flag. You might have to club up a little, but for me, I just swing a little more aggressive and shoot at that pin. I know I can trust the ball not rolling 15 feet further.

Ballooning is when the ball starts out great and then just starts climbing once the wind get's it. I didn't see any of that yesterday.

what constitutes ballooning? is that just when the ball goes high and nowhere? i wouldn't say that the ball goes nowhere. i would hit my 8 iron from 157-160 with the E6 and with the penta i would hit a 7.

TC, is that just carry or carry with roll out? Like Due said, you might have to adjust clubs to the actual carry distance to the flag, not carry and roll like you were used to with the E6. I know I had to.

Re: Taylormade Penta Trial Take 2

Re: Taylormade Penta Trial Take 2

I sent an email to TM asking if they will be making a yellow Penta. Waiting in them to reply. Maybe they will see the response on this forum and consider it.

On a aide note. I gave my friend 5 ProV1 balls and it messed him up around the greens a little because they did not roll out like he is used to. A little of a backhanded gift hehe.

I sent an email to TM asking if they will be making a yellow Penta. Waiting in them to reply. Maybe they will see the response on this forum and consider it.

On a aide note. I gave my friend 5 ProV1 balls and it messed him up around the greens a little because they did not roll out like he is used to. A little of a backhanded gift hehe.

That's funny Setho, but wait till he learns to like them. I let a buddy borrow one of my new putters yesterday and it cost me $6 worth of skins, lol. He only had to pay me $8 intead of $14, haha

TC, is that just carry or carry with roll out? Like Due said, you might have to adjust clubs to the actual carry distance to the flag, not carry and roll like you were used to with the E6. I know I had to.

that's typically what i carry the 8 iron with the E6. once again, with the highish ball flight there's not a tremendous amount of roll out with the scoring irons. it doesn't look like the penta is flying higher than the E6 but i wonder if it spins significantly more, thus making in go a little higher at its peak of flight. i don't know. i'm not ego driven when it comes to golf and i don't mind hitting a 7 iron where i use to hit an 8, i was just wondering if others were experiencing the same thing concerning these particular balls.

Back