ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Hubby and I celebrated our anniversary by playing this course. It's a Jack Nicklaus course, all of 16 months old, and is supposed to be the hot course in Cancun.

Sixteen months old--that alone should tell you something. It means it got underway during the last boom and came online just as the world was ending. Can you say, "deferred maintenance"? April is the end of the high season there, and the course was in amazingly awful shape. Not only was there pots of ground under repair, but it wasn't marked. Nor were the out of bounds, and the course is narrow, with lots of mangrove swamp lining the fairways.

They were aerating the front greens, which we didn't learn until the starter told us. Actually, they weren't all that bad--they reminded me of the fescue greens at Chambers Bay. On the back nine, every single hole had a forced carry over mangrove swamp. (Okay, the red tees didn't.) What starts out as challenging gets boring pretty quickly--I was surprised the course design came from the Nicklaus shop.

The scorecard had ratings for gold tees, but there weren't any on the course. Someone told us they'd removed them.

If you do want to play this course (or any in Cancun/Maya Riviera), I recommend booking through this site: Tee Times Mexico. Prices are better than reserving directly at the course. We paid $179 each, instead of the official $200. It came with transportation, practice balls, and all food and beverages. The restaurant was great, but for decent golf in Cancun, play the Hilton.

This was the better of the two courses we played; I haven't had time to write up the second.

Still, it's hard to argue with Cancun.

We stayed in the Riviera a few years back, it was very nice.

This was the better of the two courses we played; I haven't had time to write up the second.

Still, it's hard to argue with Cancun.

There are so many better places to hang out that aren't jam packed with 100,000 american tourists. Cancun is great if you like to party & get your freak on but for relaxing & kicking back & playing some golf, no thank you.

Gotta love the Mexican Riviera, gorgeous!

Bummer about the course maintenance.

Wifey and I got married in Playa, just down the road.

I'm hoping to take her back for our 10th anniversary (2012), so I'm hoping that some of the local courses are in better shape by then.

There are so many better places to hang out that aren't jam packed with 100,000 american tourists. Cancun is great if you like to party & get your freak on but for relaxing & kicking back & playing some golf, no thank you.

Actually the Riviera Maya and Cancun arent the same place. Cancun is jam packed and full of kids while the Riviera Maya is 45 minutes away or so and where the normal people and adults go. Its very nice.

Back