grathan

Reaction score
Handicap
Does any particular ball come to mind that just seems to grab the green and stay put, whether chipping, pitching, full-swing?

Also if anyone has ever played the TM TP/Red can please post thoughts about it's green grabbing performance.

Honestly, you're going to see similar spin out of most balls with a urethane cover, proper fitting compression wise will help some, but other than that it will all come back to technique.

Not the flashy answer, but its the honest one.

Does any particular ball come to mind that just seems to grab the green and stay put, whether chipping, pitching, full-swing?

Also if anyone has ever played the TM TP/Red can please post thoughts about it's green grabbing performance.

any urethane covered ball ball will grab a green.

It's more about technique than ball. But as others have said urethane ball give you the best opportunity to see the results you're looking for. And that's not to say they have to be the "premium" balls either.

Honestly, you're going to see similar spin out of most balls with a urethane cover, proper fitting compression wise will help some, but other than that it will all come back to technique.

Not the flashy answer, but its the honest one.

SO nothing comes to mind for you then?

For me, when I want to see more spin, there is one ball I always look to... Bridgestone e5. I can spill the heck out of it.

For me, Callaway chrome +

i played the ProV1x this past weekend & it was very spinny

that's interesting. How come?

Hawk did a test. He tested a bunch of urethane covered balls. Cheapest was the Bridgestone e5 ($25/dozen), the most expensive was the Pro-v1x ($47/dozen). On 3/4 swings the spin difference between the cheapest and the most expensive was 600 rpm.

To create that biting spin you need sharp grooves, clean contact, and a urethane covered ball. You need all three for the most spin.

I get good spin (at least what I WANT to get) from the 2014 Q Stars, but get a TON out of the e5. Like previously stated though, depends on the golfer to a big extent.

Swing speed, angle of decent, correct contact on the clubface, sharp grooves and a soft ball=equate to max spin. But for myself Callaway supersoft, srixon z star and pro v1's work the best.

that's interesting. How come?

Urethane is a softer material allowing the club to create more spin thus more grab. Surlyn which is also used to cover balls is more like hard plastic and reduces spin.

If you want to try a decent priced urethane ball pick up some Bridgestone e5's, top flight gamer v2, or TaylorMade project (a). Those all are pretty inexpensive to try out.

As already stated anything wrapped in urethane will spin pretty much the same. The ball that I seem to spin the most is the Callaway SR3 and the 2013 ProV1, but I have no hard numbers to back that up just what I've seen on the course.

Hawk did a test. He tested a bunch of urethane covered balls. Cheapest was the Bridgestone e5 ($25/dozen), the most expensive was the Pro-v1x ($47/dozen). On 3/4 swings the spin difference between the cheapest and the most expensive was 600 rpm.

To create that biting spin you need sharp grooves, clean contact, and a urethane covered ball. You need all three for the most spin.

Just to piggyback on that, Golf Digest does this every year with a robot as well, which is a much more scientific test. Results are the same though. An outlier or two on the lower side, but everything else within a few hundred rmp's, which I'd challenge anybody to discern with the naked eye.

As far as the TM TP red I liked it. It preformed very well. If to compare: it was close to t he ProV1x.
The ball I thiink spins the best is the ProV1 & Xs. But like stated before a urethane ball is it.

I personally like the Q-star, the new Cally SDR1, and the Bridgestone Tour RX. No matter what kind of balls you play with, you have to play with them the right way to make them bite. Cold balls don't bite as well as the hot balls do. You will notice this during the winter months.

Wilson's FG Tour ball has worked well for me in terms of spin. I don't back it up at all, but it hops and stops pretty quickly for me.

For me, when I want to see more spin, there is one ball I always look to... Bridgestone e5. I can spill the heck out of it.

Only ball I spin more than the e5 is the RXS. e5 is such a great value golf ball.

If I understood correctly, the difference between a cheap urethane ball and premium will be spin of the driver, right?short game should be similar.

If I understood correctly, the difference between a cheap urethane ball and premium will be spin of the driver, right?short game should be similar.

I don't even know if that's a true statement. I'd think that would be more construction related than price/brand related.

The B330-S and the old HX-Tour56 were the softest balls you could buy and they really grabbed on the greens. But they were proven to fly 10-15y LESS with your driver.

Today's balls, I prefer the TM Lethal. I have never found a ball that feels that good off of every club, putter to driver. And the response on the greens is exactly what I expect everytime.

There aren't many cheap urethane covered balls. Depending on which OEM you believe, they will spin the same off the driver as well

The B330-S and the old HX-Tour56 were the softest balls you could buy and they really grabbed on the greens. But they were proven to fly 10-15y LESS with your driver.

Today's balls, I prefer the TM Lethal. I have never found a ball that feels that good off of every club, putter to driver. And the response on the greens is exactly what I expect everytime.

I'd be curious to see this proof. IMO the B330S is one of the longest balls I've ever played and has great stopping power on the greens. This coming from a guy that doesn't have the recommended 105MPH swing speed.

E5 ($25) vs prov1 ($46). Both urethane. I would have to assume that driver spin would be better with a prov. wrong assumption?

Back