zeroputt

Reaction score
Handicap
12.6 GHIN
Before today, I've never played a hybrid on the golf course, probably because I'm used to the 'traditional' set makeup of driver, fairway woods, 3-pw, sw, and putter.

A year or so ago, I found a broken Orlimar Fury 3 hybrid on the course. I put a Titleist graphite iron shaft in it at the same length as my 3 iron… and hated it. I hit my 3 iron much better. This soured me on hybrids despite all the hype on the internet, etc. Probably my fault for using the 'wrong' shaft.

I also tried Titleist hybrids (913H and 913H.d) at a demo day, and they were okay, but it was just a demo on the driving range, so my reaction was… ehh….

This year, I got rid of the collection of fairway woods in favor of just a 4 wood, and I added two wedges. But I wasn't happy with the 4 wood/3 iron gap. So I just now got a 3 hybrid (a Nickent 7DX), and played it for the first time today….

I'm impressed. I hit it on shots where I would have used 3 iron, and I hit it on shots where I would have used 4 wood, and, overall, it outperformed both the 3 iron and the 4 wood. And, even though today was the first time I played the 3 hybrid, I found distance control to be fairly easy.

For now, I'm taking the 3 iron out of the bag in favor of the 3 hybrid. I'm even thinking of taking the 4 wood out and getting a 2 hybrid.

If it were not for hybrids I may have stopped playing this game a while ago.

They are just so easy to hit

Congrats on the find. This is the first year I've played hybrids and I'm loving them.

i like my hybrid a lot. i like it so much i've been scouring the internet (ok, maybe just occasionally looking) trying to find a 2h version to replace my 5w. there are times i still miss having a 3i for low punches, or opportunities to run something. i can't imagine dropping my 4i and 5i, but it seems to work out for a lot of people here on thp. and btw, i'm not a fast swinger or long hitter (driver tops at 95mph, distance around 240y).

as with most golf clubs, i can't recommend fitting enough. swapping the stock matrix ozik program h7.1 in my adams idea super ss for a fujikura pro 63 has made a world of difference in ball flight and dispersion.

Well, today at least, dispersion was not an issue. The 3 hybrid went straight every time, even when I had to smack it or lay off a bit. Trajectory was a different issue, sometimes high, sometimes low, but the shots worked out. I just need to play the club more to get used to it.

...swapping the stock matrix ozik program h7.1 in my adams idea super ss for a fujikura pro 63 has made a world of difference in ball flight and dispersion.

I am buying a new hybrid tonight. I have it narrowed down to 913h, BioCell and X2Hot. Pretty excited.

I just started playing hybrids this year, only because I tried a buddy's Adams. I have the Adams super hybrids of probably 2011 or 2012, bought them new and they're the only hybrids that I've felt comfortable with.

If I wouldn't have started out with the Adams V3s (up to 6 hybrid) I don't think I would've stuck with golf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it were not for hybrids I may have stopped playing this game a while ago.

+1..........3rd season for my hybrids. Started off with a 3h, hit that so well I bought a 4h, hit that so well I bought a 5h and now I'm seriously considering trying out some sorta 6h............wonder if they make a PWh LOL

Its called the Altitudes
+1..........3rd season for my hybrids. Started off with a 3h, hit that so well I bought a 4h, hit that so well I bought a 5h and now I'm seriously considering trying out some sorta 6h............wonder if they make a PWh LOL

My hybrid is the original taylormade rescue 16* with stiff steel shaft. I'm not planning on replacing it anytime soon. I can easily hit it 200 metres and love the draw it produces. I doubt I could hit a 3wood further so I don't use one. Leaves me open for 4 wedges. Hybrids are just so versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Love my hybrid but don't think I'd get rid of my 4 wood for one. I hit my FW better than my hybrid. Weird I know but that's how in hit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you like the Nikent. I've thought about trying those because they look nice but was afraid they were too "off brand." By that, I mean manufactured with lower quality components and technology, which may not always be the case but I've found to be pretty common.

Played by brand new 2 Hot hybo this weekend. I have to learn it's distance. I was hitting ~190 uphill into a backstopped green so I figured I had plenty of distance to spare and would at worst end up on the far side of the green...figured the ball would dribble on to the green if I hit it straight. I ended up 20 yards past the green. :banghead:

Hybrids definitely have a place in my bag, as soon as I learn the right distances and gaps!

Back