Wife wants to try golf...???

I have gotten my wife really interested in playing the last few years. She just needs to get a few lessons. Now both of our kids, my son is 8 and my daughter is 6 are starting to play. Really turning into a family sport in this house

That's the best part. It's not like the entire family will go out to play soccer or lacrosse or something. But we can all golf, and all at different levels, while still having fun.

That's the best part. It's not like the entire family will go out to play soccer or lacrosse or something. But we can all golf, and all at different levels, while still having fun.

It's been the best thing that ever happened to me.

Kevin

I have nothing against family time, but golf is one of my two sanctuaries. It may sound mean, but I have no desire to have my wife with me while I play. That, and she is far too impatient for golf. When my kids are old enough, that will be a different thing.

I have nothing against family time, but golf is one of my two sanctuaries. It may sound mean, but I have no desire to have my wife with me while I play. That, and she is far too impatient for golf. When my kids are old enough, that will be a different thing.

I was thinking the same thing. I had told a couple buddies that my wife was interested in learning to play and they all told me to not go down that road. I caved in (as I usually do) and we bought her a set of clubs and hit the range about once a week for the last few months and its actually been a lot of fun. She is really interested in becoming better, and although we're not quite ready to hit an actual course, I look forward to having a permanent golf partner at some point in the future :)

I was thinking the same thing. I had told a couple buddies that my wife was interested in learning to play and they all told me to not go down that road. I caved in (as I usually do) and we bought her a set of clubs and hit the range about once a week for the last few months and its actually been a lot of fun. She is really interested in becoming better, and although we're not quite ready to hit an actual course, I look forward to having a permanent golf partner at some point in the future :)

Its nice being able to play together and as you say, you'll always have a partner :wink:

Such a great thread! I missed it before. My gf loves to putt. When I go to Van's, Dicks or any of the local places it gives me a chance to play with equipment while she putts. She also has a very good natural swing so when she does come to the range she hits some nice shots. I dont give advise unless she asks for advice. Even then, I try to limit passing on my bad habits lol. Trying to get her out there because I think it would be fun times together. She has an 9 and 10 year old who love to swing their driver we bought them. Kids go through a large bucket by the time I'm halfway done. Sooooo much fun. They get so excited about hitting the ball 20 yards (10 to the right) and it brings me back to why I play.

She has an 9 and 10 year old who love to swing their driver we bought them. Kids go through a large bucket by the time I'm halfway done. Sooooo much fun. They get so excited about hitting the ball 20 yards (10 to the right) and it brings me back to why I play.

That's what's so great about kids when they're young. They're just happy to smack something. My boys play golf with me once or twice a year, but we have a good time. They hate the range now - it's boring to them. Funny though - they can play catch with their lacrosse sticks for hours, lol.

I play with my fiance all the time, its great! She beats me from time to time (boo!)

I got her started in the backyard with those yellow foam balls. I mowed a few short grass "greens" into the yard, and we'd switch from the foam to real balls when we got on. I even dug a few holes in the backyard (rental, hehee)! It was basically a drinking game, like horseshoes. Before that, she looked at me funny when I left to play golf.

We moved on from the backyard golf course to a "pasture golf" nine hole nearby, 5 par 4s and 4 par 3s. I still believe that was the ideal course to teach a new player on - straightforward but not boring. Hills and ponds (that were somewhat escapable from the fronts) and no major carries. Not too long either.

Now she will play with me anywhere. She was pissed when she had to go to my sister-in-law's baby shower while I got to play a round with the boys. We play about 4-5 times a week.

Neither of us have ever taken a lesson. When she first started, I gave a fair amount of advice, but tapered off so that now I only give advice when asked. (She's told me to shut up and keep my advice a number of times, generally when she's having a touch of frustration - we all know how rare that is in golf!)

Turning my significant other into a golfer may have been the best thing I ever did. :D

Re: Wife wants to try golf...???

bonknhead said:
That's what's so great about kids when they're young. They're just happy to smack something. My boys play golf with me once or twice a year, but we have a good time. They hate the range now - it's boring to them. Funny though - they can play catch with their lacrosse sticks for hours, lol.
Lol. Kids are nuts! I took the 10 yr old to PGA superstore today. He loved it! Kids clubs to demo on the sims and their puting green is slcik. He hit a few nice bunker shots for his first time. He loves seemore putters lol

Not sure where to post this story but it kind of fits this thread, and never had a gf interested in golf.

I was at the range a couple days ago semi-watching a couple taking their first ever lesson together. When the pro left they stayed to whack some more balls. Well the wife must have seen the pro stop her husband mid-swing cause she walked toward him trying to grab his hands while he was starting his downswing. He didn't see her and proceeded to follow through just like the pro told him. His shaft caught her in the neck breaking her collar bone and his shaft in the process. It was a mess; ambulance, cops, everybody at the range had to give statements. Not sure if they paid for multiple lessons or not but I doubt they will show up again.

Not sure where to post this story but it kind of fits this thread, and never had a gf interested in golf.

I was at the range a couple days ago semi-watching a couple taking their first ever lesson together. When the pro left they stayed to whack some more balls. Well the wife must have seen the pro stop her husband mid-swing cause she walked toward him trying to grab his hands while he was starting his downswing. He didn't see her and proceeded to follow through just like the pro told him. His shaft caught her in the neck breaking her collar bone and his shaft in the process. It was a mess; ambulance, cops, everybody at the range had to give statements. Not sure if they paid for multiple lessons or not but I doubt they will show up again.

that is scary... almost happened with my brother and i... we were sharing range balls and instead of telling me to get him some more from my pile... he reached in the pile behind me while i was waggling... he felt the wind of my club in my follow thru... scary

My husband and I play a good bit of golf together including our Wednesday night scrambles but I still make sure he gets his guy time too. I rarely play with him on Saturdays because I know that is when all the guys play together, drink beer, and bet 25 cents a hole. I only like to play when the weather is nice so he is out there a lot more than I am. We have enjoyed many couples trips and outtings because of golf. In fact, we're going to Mississippi in a couple weeks with a bunch of other golfing couples.

Wow--there's a reason you're only supposed to have one person in a hitting bay at a time on the range.

I read and hear the horror stories about wives playing golf with the husband. For me over the last 30 years my playing partner has always been my wife. When we get paired with a couple of guys, this is what usually happens, I see them grimace a lot. However after the first couple of holes they are telling her she needs to move back and play the white tees. Last month a fellow we were paired with was saying how he hit a long ball but by the end of the 16th hole he had not once out driven my wife. When he finally hit it about 5 yards past her on 18 you would have thought he just made a hole in one. Over the last 15 years my handicap has fluctuated from 8-12 and during that time I bet we are pretty close on who beat who the most times.

She has one of the best driver swings I have ever seen and she almost never misses a fairway. She is strong mentally and the worst thing you can do is challenge her to a game of golf. She has played in 6 club championships and won the Women's Championship every time. There was a guy at the course we were playing for about 8 years who loved to beat all comers in match play for $$$. Finally my wife got tired of his bragging and challenged him to a match. She whipped his butt but good. Afterward he said he would not play her again unless she moved back to his tees. He loved to play mind games against his opponents but that did not work against her. She just put the needle in him instead. I would rather play 18 holes of golf with her than anyone else that I know because if I beat her I have done well. If she beat me I am proud of how well she played.

Woohoo for her Gus! I love it!

I would rather play 18 holes of golf with her than anyone else that I know because if I beat her I have done well. If she beat me I am proud of how well she played.

that is awesome... to tell you the truth... i love being paired up with women... some have surprised me and others were just good company... i can say the percentage of women ive played with id love to play again in a heartbeat... i cant say that for all the guys ive played with... some of them id rather not see ever again lol...

plus id rather play with a beautiful woman that duffs it... than some stranger dude thats a scratch player

Yikes!! The BF and I take lessons together, but we're always aware of what's going on and especially where we are to where the instructor is.

Back