Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
Ok! I won a free dozen Srixon Z Stars from Fantasy Golf and I have to say, I like them!! What's the difference between the Srixon golf balls and say the Precepts and the Pinnacles? I have to say, I did buy 15 Pinnacle golf balls, but I couldn't resist because they were PURPLE!! Ok, more of a Lavendar color, but I had a $10 gift certificate from Golfsmith so I only ended up paying $3 for them. But I tried them out over the weekend, huh, then I switched back to the Srixons, double huh!! I think I def. like the Srixons over the Pinnacles. But isn't the Srixon a men's golf ball, so it shouldn't be what I'm looking for in a golf ball right?

Also, both the Precepts AND THE Pinnacles claim to be THE SOFTEST golf ball for women. But they are very different and only 1 can be THE softest right, lol :confused2: haa haa

I know that Srixon makes a ladies golf ball, but the ones that I had received were def. a men's golf ball.

http://www.pinnaclegolf.com/balls/details.asp?id=17

I love gift certificates, everything seems better when they are used to purchase! I think the main difference with those balls is the the fact the srixons are 3 layer with a urethane cover and the others are 2 layers with different covers (pinnacle listed as IOnomer and two piece, Im assuming the same for the precepts). The cover is definitely going to make a difference on how the ball feels off the club but so are the composition/compression of the balls themselves. The lower compression can make a ball feel "softer". Buuuuut as with anything, soft feel is a personal preference.

While I was testing for golf balls, they were surprised to see that I didnt have a preference on the gender category. I believe whatever helps your game you should go with! Those Z-Stars are awesome balls.

Who knew I'd be comfortable playing a men's golf ball, I may have to go purchase some more of them!!

Now this is just my personal opion but if you like the Z-Star ball then play with that one. I think picking a golf ball is much like picking a putter it is a personal touch and feel thing.

Who knew I'd be comfortable playing a men's golf ball, I may have to go purchase some more of them!!
Shoot, you can even get the yellow ones :) And royalwulf makes a great point, play what feels best! It helps to have a consistant ball. You will always know what to expect.

I can't comment too much on ladies golf balls. But I also like the Srixon balls. My g/f likes the Nike Karma as a ladies ball. Have you ever tried those?

I can't comment too much on ladies golf balls. But I also like the Srixon balls. My g/f likes the Nike Karma as a ladies ball. Have you ever tried those?

The Nike Karma huh? Hmmmm...may hae to try those. I have a dozen of the Nike Mojos, how are they compared to the Karmas?

LOL, maybe I could paint my Srixon golf balls another color haa haa haa

The Nike Karma huh? Hmmmm...may hae to try those. I have a dozen of the Nike Mojos, how are they compared to the Karmas?

LOL, maybe I could paint my Srixon golf balls another color haa haa haa

I think the mojos had a compression between 70-80. The karma's have a compression of 50. Karma should be a little bit softer. Jenn has played a bunch of balls but now has about 10 dozen of the karmas. I think she found the ball she likes.

I think the mojos had a compression between 70-80. The karma's have a compression of 50. Karma should be a little bit softer. Jenn has played a bunch of balls but now has about 10 dozen of the karmas. I think she found the ball she likes.

Awesome!! Will try these out as well :)

If you like the Srixon give the "Soft Feel" a try. I was out on the course last week testing the Bridgestone e6's when I found on of these in the forest off a fairway. I wound up hitting it off the next tee and wow it felt good. Didn't have the kind of spin I like around the green but it was amazing how soft it felt off the irons. I like a softer ball, but also prefer tour level spin on approach shots so I am kind of in a conundrum myself. Anyway, I am not sure if it qualifies as a "lady's" ball or not but you may like it.

http://www.srixon.com/balls_softfeel.html

If you like the Srixon give the "Soft Feel" a try. I was out on the course last week testing the Bridgestone e6's when I found on of these in the forest off a fairway. I wound up hitting it off the next tee and wow it felt good. Didn't have the kind of spin I like around the green but it was amazing how soft it felt off the irons. I like a softer ball, but also prefer tour level spin on approach shots so I am kind of in a conundrum myself. Anyway, I am not sure if it qualifies as a "lady's" ball or not but you may like it.

http://www.srixon.com/balls_softfeel.html

Thanks for the suggestion :) I'll have to try these as well. And the best part, I can buy a sleeve to just try them out to see if I like them instead of having to purchase the entire dozen :good:

Srixon Z-Stars are awesome. I play the same ball (but Im currently using the yellow ones) and I love the spin off of the wedges and short irons and the soft feel off of the putter. Some people might tell you that your swingspeed isnt fast enough to properly compress the Z-Star but if you like it and its working for you, I wouldnt let anyone tell you that you shouldnt be playing it.
IMO, the Z-Star is far superior to almost every Precept (other than the U-Tri Tour) and any Pinnacle. Precepts and Pinnacles are good golfballs, but they are designed for high-handicappers; so they are designed to be harder to maximize distance (at the cost of spin) and are designed to be very affordable (for people who lost a lot of balls).

I myself can't wait to try the Z-Star, but I am holding out for yellow which seems to be almost as hard to find as ammo was this time last year. haha

GC, simply put you are noticing a difference between the Zstars and the Pinnacles because the ZStars are the top of the line ball from Srixon and go for $45 a dozen, while the Pinnacles are a "basic" golf ball that cost $18 for a 15 pack at Target. Like comparing a BMW to a KIA, both are cars but drastically different.

GC, simply put you are noticing a difference between the Zstars and the Pinnacles because the ZStars are the top of the line ball from Srixon and go for $45 a dozen, while the Pinnacles are a "basic" golf ball that cost $18 for a 15 pack at Target. Like comparing a BMW to a KIA, both are cars but drastically different.

Come on, you know you love that Kia!

060309_Soul_604x372.jpg

I will turn my Pinnacles into my water balls/hazards ball :) I think I may have found my golf ball :clapp: Only time will tell :wink:

Last edited:
I know a lot of women who play golf - ranging in age from a friend's 14 year old daughter to my mother and her friends who are in their 70's and this is the first time I've ever heard a women refer to a golf ball as a "man's golf ball." We all know that manufacturers market softer compression balls to women and yes, some women play those balls. Men do as well. However, we don't consider golf balls to be gender specific.

I have a sleeve of "Wilson Hope" pink balls that I carry around with me whenever I play. If I ever get into a real funk with my swing, or stop having fun, I pull out a nice pink ball and play a couple holes. I don't feel like I have to swing as hard and it's really tough (as a guy) to take yourself too seriously when you are playing a pink ball!

Plus- half of the purchase price went to breast cancer research... and you can't beat that!

I know a lot of women who play golf - ranging in age from a friend's 14 year old daughter to my mother and her friends who are in their 70's and this is the first time I've ever heard a women refer to a golf ball as a "man's golf ball." We all know that manufacturers market softer compression balls to women and yes, some women play those balls. Men do as well. However, we don't consider golf balls to be gender specific.

As I respect your opinion Diane, there are a few guys on here that will say women's golf balls or lady's golf ball etc. You don't see "women's" golf balls in the men's section or "men's" golf balls in the women's section and the golf ball section is usually separated and not all stuck together.

As I respect your opinion Diane, there are a few guys on here that will say women's golf balls or lady's golf ball etc. You don't see "women's" golf balls in the men's section or "men's" golf balls in the women's section and the golf ball section is usually separated and not all stuck together.

It's ok for us to disagree. It's all about marketing and the companies have done their job well with you.

I've always thought of them as just golf balls too, people read too much into advertising and marketing. Use what works best for your game GC, that's what I do.

As you know I've played my share of "ladies balls" but I found an E6 on the course so I hit it on a water hole, ended up finishing my round with it and have been hooked ever since. They will be my gamers for the rest of this year anyway and at $26 a box, a good mid-price ball too.

This is not entirely true. Quite a few companies look at MUCH MORE than compression when designing a ball for women. It is about a swing that is built for the masses of women and built for the masses of men. It is NOT just about compression and marketing. That is true for some companies, but not all.

Back