TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
Heard a tip that to improve your swing tempo use the Waltz count. 1, 2, 3, 1- with 1 starting the swing, 3 finishing the back swing and 1 impact with the ball.

The idea is that you get around a 3:1 ratio between the time it takes from start to end of backswing, and the time it takes from the top of backswing to impact. You also end up with a much more smooth and consistant swing from shot to shot. And as you get comfortable you will be able to comfortably increase your swing speed at the same ratio.

I tried this on the range and with my hybrids and short irons it really worked well. After about 10 minutes, it was actually increasing the distance I was getting and making much more solid contact.

But it didn't work so well with the driver. Maybe I need to slow down the count to take the longer shaft into account.

This was all on the range- but I will will be trying it on the course next time, and I will be listing to Strauss waltz's as I drive to the course.

I heard the same thing recently from Doodles. She does 1-2-3-and-4, with the three and the and where you are, and the four at full extension forward. I'm trying to incorporate it.

I suppose a waltz tempo could work, but I personally don't "feel" that.

I think of a golf swing as more of a "One, Two" type of thing; "back and through", or "back, hit"...that sort of thing. I liken it to drawing back a bow and then letting it go at the right moment or perhaps like cranking a catapult and then tripping the lever that lets it go. So I guess, for me, that would translate into a long "One" count followed by an abrupt "Two!".

But ahm jus' freeky like 'dat! :D

-JP

I actually use a 1-2-3 count with 1-2 being on my backswing and 3 being my downswing. I could use the waltz tempo. The rise-and-fall motion of the waltz is already a part of my swing.:act-up:

-Steven

Heard a tip that to improve your swing tempo use the Waltz count. 1, 2, 3, 1- with 1 starting the swing, 3 finishing the back swing and 1 impact with the ball.

The idea is that you get around a 3:1 ratio between the time it takes from start to end of backswing, and the time it takes from the top of backswing to impact.

I am not sure that I am reading your post correctly, and I am insecure in my music-theory knowledge, but wouldn't the above lead to a 2:1 ratio? 2 steps to get from 1 to 3, 1 step to get from 3 to 1.

I am not sure that I am reading your post correctly, and I am insecure in my music-theory knowledge, but wouldn't the above lead to a 2:1 ratio? 2 steps to get from 1 to 3, 1 step to get from 3 to 1.

Techinhcally yes, but the way it was explained to me, your body takes a moment to react to each count so in reality it makes it closer to a 3:1 when you actually swing. That is why you use a full 3 for the first half instead of just doing 1.......2 for the whole swing. While if you did 1, 2, 3, 4, 1 it would end up being closer to a 4:1 count in practice. So I guess you end up with 1.....2.....3...1 Does that make sence?

I donno. It seems to work though. I was actually hitting nearly 10 yards longer than normal with the 25* and 21* hybrid than I usually do after about 10 miutes with this. the biggest thing for me was the feeling of having the same swing each time. Amazing what a little mind game like that can do to help.

I am going to try it again on the range tomrrow with my 3 and 5 wood- then try the driver again.

Techinhcally yes, but the way it was explained to me, your body takes a moment to react to each count so in reality it makes it closer to a 3:1 when you actually swing. That is why you use a full 3 for the first half instead of just doing 1.......2 for the whole swing. While if you did 1, 2, 3, 4, 1 it would end up being closer to a 4:1 count in practice. So I guess you end up with 1.....2.....3...1 Does that make sence?
It does makes sense. I think the time-intervals taken to pronounce the 'one', 'two' etc. (aloud, or in your head) become the steps (rather than the beats), and then it all works out. However, I wouldn't listen to too many waltzes. You might get a little quick on the backswing!

my count is 1-2-3-and-4

begin takeaway on 1.
follow into upswing on 2.
transition into downswing on 3.
near/at impact on 'and'.
clubhead at target on 4.

i find myself chanting in my head. i find it really slows my tempo....especially in my irons where i can get really quick.

and i also have built quite a substantial fine tempo'd playlist on ipod.

I'm not going to try to tell anyone what should work or not work for them but here's why I like a simpler; "back / hit" or "One, Two" count:

To me, the "waltz tempo" or 1,2,3,4 tempo can work very well for a full driver swing, but the problem I have with it is when it comes to other clubs where a full backswing isn't required, like with mid or short irons. Granted, I could still use the same count, but the tempo - the meter, if you will, is faster (because the overall swing is of a shorter duration) and I think it's just too much to have to consider.

With a "one, two" count the "one" can be as long or as short as it has to be because the "two" doesn't happen until I'm ready to swing forward and through the ball. Consequently, the "one" can be of a longer duration for a driver but shorter for a seven-iron yet the overall tempo from start to finish stays the same regardless of how long the actual swing takes.

I once tried a variety of different swing counts and I found that the longer more complex counts worked fine for a full driver swing but it felt awkward with shorter swings and I felt as if I was either holding my backswing for too long or simply taking too long to get to wherever it needed to be before I started my through swing. With the "one, two" count, the backswing takes as long as it needs to take and the through swing happens when the backswing is finished.

For me, the less I have to concern myself with "counting", the more attention I can place into what I'm trying to do rather than how long it's taking to do it.

-JP

Back