60° Nike SV Tour Wedge

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
My friend from up north, forum member rbelbin, recently contacted me to let me know that he had a $100.00 Nike signing bonus at GlobalGolf that he wasn't going to use since the duty to get stuff over the border is outrageous. Of course, my eyes lit up and I told him I'd be glad to take it off of his hands :act-up:

Right before this, I was looking for a higher lofted wedge that had a low bounce. I ended up choosing the SV Tour 60-10 (in addition to a sweet hat and some no-show socks). These wedges are on sale for a pretty good price right now since the VR stuff is out.

The SV Tour is a very nice looking wedge and feels great in the hand with the Lamkin grips. I haven't had a lot of time to practice with it, but I have used it on the course a handful of times. When I strike it pure, the ball shoots straight up and has a lot of spin. I'm planning use it for close-in shots on short grass that I need a high ball flight.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that I blade the ball a lot with it. This is definitely a problem with my swing and not the wedge. Anybody have some feedback on adapting your swing for a high lofted wedge?

Thanks again rb!

nice hawk, that was very cool of rb!

i use to game the 52 and 56 sv wedges and liked them a lot. i've never owned a 60* b/c honestly, i think it may be one of the hardest clubs to hit consistently. you really shouldn't have to change your swing at all, just keep that head down and hit ball first.

perhaps you should ask andy for some pointers.

No worries Hawk! Glad to help. Thanks for organizing the gifts for GG and JB.

Edit - I have a 58 and find I have to play it back further in my stance... behind the center of my stance!

Last edited:
  • Staff
I wish that my home course had a practice area. The closest range/chipping green is about 20 minutes away and time is at a premium these days. I'm about to get some practice balls and starting chipping in my back yard.

I think I will take a lesson. I had a package of five and the pro said I could come back for a pitching/chipping session if I was interested.

nicely done RB and hawk! hawk you definitely won't need to open the 60* up much at all or you'll blade the crap out of the ball....

I have a CG11 60 degree that I use for most shots within 60 yards of the green, and although it took a little while to get used to (I bladed it just like you did for about a month) I love it now. After using it successfully and then attempting to use my 52 degree for a few of the same shots, there is no comparison. You just have to be confident in your swing with it- baby it and you'll chunk it or hit it 6 inches. I still have that problem sometimes unfortunately. For the fast greens that I am used to playing, the 60 degree just sticks a lot better and has much less roll than anything else.

• Staff
I have some sort of mental block that causes me to decelerrate on short shots. I can literally miss behind the ball by 6 inches. It's soooo frustrating, but I am committed to making it go away this year.

concentrate on a shorter backswing. I find that helps eliminate the deceleration

• Staff
I will try that. Erica's grandpa told me the same thing and it really helped when I listened.

hawk, watch steve stricker's short game shots, he uses no wrist cock and more of a shoulder turn, it's kind of bulletproof.

I've noticed that almost every time I get new wedges the first time I play with them I hit a lot of shots thin. I think this is a result of being excited about the new grooves and wanting to look up and watch the ball. Like others have said just focus on keeping your head down and you'll probably be back to your old self.

+1....almost like a putting stroke

hawk, watch steve stricker's short game shots, he uses no wrist cock and more of a shoulder turn, it's kind of bulletproof.

That's how I started playing my chips and then I got the stupid idea to try hinge-and-hold after reading about it. The putting stroke actually worked quite well for me and I'm trying to go back to it.

Last question. Would you guys use the same stroke for a 30 yard pitch and not just a chip?

I think I might just do that OEM

Its great for practice. And they have a true ball flight so you know if you shank, slice or draw. And you can work on it without a lot of room or paying money or driving to the range. I dont think anyone has said a bad thing about them.

I've read some thing that you all have written, but now that I think about it more, they would probably be a great idea for me. I have a school next door that I can hit them at.

I have to do the same thing. My backyard just isnt that big and then theres the issue of the dog "logs" in the grass. So I go around the corner to the school which is huge so you can hit any club with them. Also, if you want to hit driver with them, you need a special tee which I forgot to order.

are you talking about the birdie balls kevin?

oh, jeez, i'm having one of those "getting ready to go on another outing" days, ha! i didn't kow that you got them. you ever use the strike pad on pavement and hit balls?

haha I thought you were trying to Diane me...I havent used it on pavement , just grass that was too crappy to hit without it. They work great.

Back