Have you ever gone back to old equipment?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
I'm experiencing this right now and am curious who else has done something similar...

I played least year with a set of 3DX Pro's with S300 and loved them to death and was getting to the point of being pretty darn accurate with them. So, naturally, in the winter I decided to pull them, sell them and go with 4DX CB's with KBS 5.5's. After a good relationship early things have gotten rocky with the CB's and KBS' and I find myself daydreaming about my 3DX Pro's all the time.

So I bought another set of heads.

Its not to say the CB's won't win out, but theres just soemthing about the 3DX Pro's...so, so, sweet for a cast club.

I've got issues. lol

The BF won't part with his OLD Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear 4i. He has Callaway X18s, but he won't get rid of his Golden Bear club, he'd tell you he can hit the best and the furthest with it though :wink:

Perhaps try the 4DX Pros. One of my favorite sets from the last few years and one that has incredible feel.

In the past when I started to feel some issues with my driver, I would go back to my Callaway Big Bertha (first gen). I've had to retire the club after missing the practice net in the backyard and using my window as a backstop. I used it because I had to be more on point with my swing. It was one of the ones I learned with so for some reason it always triggered some good muscle memory. Got me back in the grove of swinging well. I always ended up going back to the new driver because the it was overall a better club. Just the old driver really helped me get into a good grove.

• Staff
Perhaps try the 4DX Pros. One of my favorite sets from the last few years and one that has incredible feel.

Yeah, I've actually got a set of heads 5-P on my workbench but no shafts for them yet (my heads are the .355 TT's), if I don't buy a new SeeMore I plan on finding some shafts and having a battle royal between the three...

Have I mentioned I think I have a problem? lol

I've posted several times on here how much in love I am with my 4DX Pro's. I think it's a similar situation in that I love the small, clean lines of these versus my new Burners. If I were used to a larger GI cavity back it might be another story, or if I put the $dx's away for a while, but can't get myself to, lol. I couldn't even tell you what shaft they have. Just say "Precision" on them.

• Staff
I've posted several times on here how much in love I am with my 4DX Pro's. I think it's a similar situation in that I love the small, clean lines of these versus my new Burners. If I were used to a larger GI cavity back it might be another story, or if I put the $dx's away for a while, but can't get myself to, lol. I couldn't even tell you what shaft they have. Just say "Precision" on them.

Good stuff! I figure I'll save the 4DX Pro's for a rainy day....

Re: Have you ever gone back to old equipment?

I have a set of the 3dx pro's and haven't even hit them yet. I have the burner 09's already and just picked these up since nickent was offering such a great deal. I've let a couple of friends put them into play since they didn't have their own clubs and they all seemed to like them. Maybe it's time I either sell them or at least put them into play for a round or two.

I have the 3-pw with stiff shafts and midsized grips.

Definatly, right now I'm playing Wilson Custom 300's. They are blades from the 70's or 80's I beleive.

I went back to my Wilson 8813 Putter when the Rife Mallet wasn't working. The putter is at least 20+ years old.

Old equipment? That's what I upgrade TO!

Not really the same, but here is my experience.

I shipped my clubs home on Monday around 9am and then got invited to play a quick nine. My girl's grandpa offered to let me use an old set of Wilson Pro Staff cavity backs, probably from the 80's. The heads on these things were huge!

I go to line up a 150 yard shot to the green and I pull out a 6 iron, which is my normal 140-150 club. I sailed the green and went into a lake 10 yards beyond the green. I figured it was a fluke and moved on.

Later, I'm on a 115 yard par 3 and pull out a 9i, which is my 110-120 club. Again, I sail the green and land 15 feet into some palmettos that were 10 yards past the green.

At this point, I started to club down. I couldn't believe the difference in distance with those old things. To be honest, I didn't really like it since it made me wonder if my irons are not really right for me.

I keep going back to my old Ping Eye 2 copper irons. I have tried a few different irons but I keep going back to these. I am currently using Nickent 4dx cavity backs but I don't hit them any better than the Pings. They are a little longer but that's due their stronger lofts I believe.

I'm still waiting to find the 4DX Pros at a good price at the right time. RBG had them for $170 free ship stiff graphite, and I'd always wanted to try stiff graphite, but I have to get a driver first.

Anyways, I've never gone to older clubs. I always sell the older clubs so I can buy newer ones.

Yeah, I've actually got a set of heads 5-P on my workbench but no shafts for them yet (my heads are the .355 TT's), if I don't buy a new SeeMore I plan on finding some shafts and having a battle royal between the three...

Have I mentioned I think I have a problem? lol

can you purchase heads sepreatly and if so where

can you purchase heads sepreatly and if so where

For the 3DX Pro's, yes, I got mine off the bay from one of the stores that bought out a TON of Nickent's stuff (used make an offer and negotiated it down).o

For the 4DX Pro's, not that I know of. Mine were shafted from Nickent on their close-out and I pulled the crummy uniflex shafts out of them and have yet to re-shaft.

I have an old set of MaxiFli Revolution irons that were the first set I really started to play well with. I have since gone through 4 or 5 more sets, but I keep these and if my game starts downhill, I stick them in my bag and play a few rounds. They are a multi-material set with really soft feel, little offset, but a cavity back. They are still very accurate but I lose about 10-12 yards on every club. Still, I just can't let them go. They look terrible, scarred up and nicked, but they still play great.

Went back to a Titleist DCI 981s a few times. I bought a set of them for my first name-brand set of clubs back in '99 and then when I started playing golf again in '08 I bought a set of them used on Ebay, gave them to my father a year later when I wanted something more forgiving and bought a set of Mizuno MX-15s.
Then, late last year I wanted more of a player's iron, so I traded the Mizunos to my father for the Titleists. Recently, I scored a sweet deal on a set of Mizuno MP-32s and the 981s have once again been kicked out of the bag.

I kept a set of Hogan Edge GS forged irons that were in and out of my bag for 19 years. Gave them away last year in a fit of foolishness.

My trusty 8802 is 25 years old and, no matter how many putters I try, it keeps finding its way back into my bag.

I know this is different, but warming up for a pool tounament last year with a young kid that was playing an old Wal-mart stick. Like 13 or 14 and had game. I gave him an old stick, one of the first quality sticks I ever bought, it was a pretty solid red dot Muccie. The same kid beat me this week in an early qualifier with my old stick and I couldn't be happier. Good stuff!

Back