Competition Scoring - Stableford

sm!ish

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm playing my first competition since junior golf this weekend, and my first stableford ever. Can someone enlighten me on the process of scoring and marking for a partner (and myself)?

It really isn't that difficult. I am sure they will give everyone a sheet of paper with the rules and scoring so it isn't something you will have to just know. You will probably have to spaces, one for the score, and one for the point total

Basically, a point value is assigned instead of strokes. In theory you can assign whatever points you want but it might be something like this. -1 point for double bogey or worse, 0 point for a bogey, 1 for a par, 3 for a birdie, 5 for an eagle. Whatever the values are, it is usually designed so that good holes are rewarded a little more than bad holes hurt. Might not be the case with your event, but that is how I have played it in the past. So if you make a big number, it won't hurt against you as much, you just don't get anything. And if you make a birdie or eagle you will be rewarded more.

I play in an event where the foursome team score is totaled in this way. It can be a lot of fun. The best thing is that one or two good holes, can wipe out two or three bad holes. The key is to try and make positive points on each hole so you have something.

I recommend marking the actual stroke score and then figuring out the Stableford points when you have a delay in the round, or when you finish. My club is holding their annual Stableford this weekend, and invariably some cards come back with incorrect point totals. Since all net hole stroke scores are entered hole by hole into the computer, the computer corrects any point translation errors, but it is easy to make those mistakes when you aren't used to Stableford scoring. As long as you have a record of the stroke scores, you will be able to go over the card after the round and correct any errors in the Stableford points before you return the card to the committee.

Back