How Do PING and Callaway Irons Compare??

Nalajr

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

I am wanting to move into the 21st century after a LONG absence from the game. It's been about 10 years since I played. I have a set of PING EYE2 irons that I have only played a couple of times and don't have any memory of or feel for. I just haven't used them. In today's clubs I know there are other irons that would be able to help me enjoy the game more than they Eye2 irons I have now.

Well I went to the local shop today to check out some of these new irons I have been seeing so much about. I looked at the Callaway Diablo, Callaway X22, X22 TOUR, the Ping I15, G15 and Rapture V2. ALL of them looked great. I don't know which set I would pick right now if forced to do so. Realistically I don't think I can afford the Rapture V2 irons.

I know each has its strong points, but what ones would you say would offer the most forgiveness and distance for someone like me that doesn't have a high swing speed and has been away from the game a while? How do the Ping and Callaway irons differ in performance?

I think that THICK top line on the Callaway irons really gives me confidence at address. I just don't know if I like it on the short irons or not. I know the latest review of the diablo irons here talked about how wonderful they are, but I would like to know how they compare to the G15 and X22 irons.

If you have any other irons I should check out, let me know and I'll look at them. This wasn't a really well stocked shop and didn't have all the ones I wanted to see.

Thanks for your help and time.

Nalajr

Every company will put out irons that are probably perfect for you. Something forgiving that will help with the mishits, get the ball up fast, and give you good distance. Ping Eye 2's were great irons, but you are right, a lot of technology has come into play recently. When looking at irons Callaway and Ping are both great companies. Comparing the G15s to the X-22s, you will get a little more forgiveness with the G15s and a little more workability with the X-22s. Im not sure at this point you will want the workability. Perhaps the best comparison in the line would be G15s to Diablo Edge irons and in that case I actually prefer the Diablo Edge for the forgiveness in the toe area and high on the club face.

However both are incredible sets that would be great for years to come. If you are wanting to stick with one of those brands, check out both of those sets, get the length, lie, and shaft fitted for your swing (many times free when purchasing clubs) and you will be set for another few years at least. Congrats on coming back to the game and welcome to THP.

Back