Run It Or Fly It?

JPsuff

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Humane
When chipping, do you prefer to fly the ball to the hole or run it there like a putt?

I prefer to run it.

I generally chip with an 8-iron, although I’ll use anything I think I need in order to clear whatever fringe or light rough that lay between my ball and the green and I use a putting grip and stance to make the shot. If I have to clear three feet of fringe, I may use a 4-iron and I hit the ball just as if it were a putt and the loft of the club gets the ball over the fringe and then the ball sits down and rolls the rest of the way. If I have to clear the same length of fringe, but I’m chipping to a short pin, I’ll just go to a more lofted club, but everything else stays the same.

I think that it’s easier to control the speed and distance with the ball on the green and rolling than it is to try to gauge the distance in the air and hit the shot with the right amount of spin to get the ball to hit the brakes in just the right place so it doesn’t end up either too short or too long.

What’s your preferred chipping style and why?

-JP

Re: Run It Or Fly It?

Fly it. I am a terrible putter and have weight issues. I like you fly it. It just works best for me. I would much rather a long chip than a long putt

all depends on the set-up, how much green i have, grass/lie i'm coming out of, up/down hill, amount of break, etc.

i'm pretty confident in my wedge game so there isn't a specific shot i would choose. too many variables.

I run it most times. I never know if a try to "fly it" will result in a low line drive.

Since I got all 4 Niblicks, I prefer to fly it. If I try to run it, most of the time it runs off the green.

I prefer to fly it with my 60* wedge. I usually practice for 1-2 hours every week on my feel with that club so I can put it pretty close in most situtations. I just don't have anywhere close to my house that I can practice running it, and not really comfortable testing that out during actually course play when I want to post a low score.

I am kind of inbetween. I always use a 56 (90%) or 60 around the green, but that doesn't mean that I always fly the ball to the hole. Usually, I will fly it about halfway and let it settle and roll the rest of the way. Sometimes I will hit it with more spin and carry a little closer to the hole, but only in certain situations. I never use the 7-8 iron, bump-and-run method. For me, it was easier to learn how to use 1 club for all shots around the green, so I just continue that now.

Like Snickers, depends on the lie. If there's a ridge part of the way there I'll fly for sure. I am a bit funny about how I do it though. I always use a sandwedge, regardless of flying it or running it up. I just keep the ball way back in my stance and de-loft the face, make a putting stroke. I know it should be easier with an eight iron, just how I taught myself.

Run it as often as I can. Easier to hit and easier to gauge how far the ball will go.

I fly it most of the time.

Usually I like to try and fly it, but my wedge play doesn't always agree with that. Lately it's been so poor that I've gone back to the bump/punch'n'run approach, using anything from a hybrid to a 9i as long as there isn't a major obstruction between the green and me like sand/water/trees. Just judge the distance, select the loft required to get it there, and bump it on up to the green. Last Sunday at the FL Outing I hit a lot of those shots, couldn't get my wedges to work for crap.

90% fly

Run..... but with the Niblicks I am now trying to fly it a bit more. Used to be 90% run- but this season it's more like 50-50.

it all depends on the situation(insert pic of jersey shore here)

if things are pretty flat and i have alot of green to work with ill run it up to the hole with a 5i...
if there are things in the way(bunker/sprinkler heads/ridges/etc) or its not flat... i have the utmost confidence in my chipping from anywhere around the green and ill fly it

Fly it.

I'm terrible at bump and run shots (well, not terrible, but I can't hold the green), and I'm very good with wedges so I always choose to fly it.

That, and I'm a terrible putter and a very good chipper so I would prefer a chip rather than a long putt.

depending on the lie, etc. I try to run it as much as possible. the more the ball stays on the ground the less trouble you can get into lol

I use my 60* 95% of the time but I vary where I play it in my stance, how open the club face is, my stance is etc. then create a shot that fits the situation. My buddy and I play a chip/pitch game at our practice facility every week, so I'm pretty comfortable with varying how to use my 60*. Rarely, I'll use a PW, 8i or hybrid, but I do once in a while if there is a weird lie or something.

It really depends upon the situation. If I have a lot of green to work with, I'll hit a runner. If I dont have much green to work with, I'll fly it. Given the choice, Id prefer a runner. I find it easier to be an easier shot to hit consistently. Flop shots are great when they work, but its really easy to either blade the ball and hit a line drive that goes way past the green or you hit it way, waaaay fat and have the ball land short of the green. A low, running chip with an 8-iron is just a much higher percentage shot.

Usually I want to get it on the green then let it roll out. I'll even putt from 10 feet off the green if I have good fairway to roll it on. I putt very well as a rule, so I'm going to use my putter whenever I can.

The best thing about rolling it is that the ball has a much better chance to fall in the hole. With a high pitch that hits and checks, you have to be nearly perfect to get the ball in the hole. When the ball is on the green rolling, even if it's a bit strong it can easily hit the flagstick and drop in. I like to give myself as much opportunity as possible to hole out on any shot.

My answer to this is it depends. Not so much on the situation, but on whether my yip is lurking. If it's bad, I can still hit a flop type shot (or putt it if I don't have anything in the way), but I can't hit a running shot. If it's not bothering me, I'd far rather run it. Much bigger margin for error.

Since we're talking chipping, I will always choose to run it to the hole. My favorite chipping club is my 7 iron, but if I'm in deep rough just past the fringe, I'll use my AW. I like Fourputt's thinking that one stands a better chance to hole out when the ball is rolling to the hole rather than bouncing to it.

I'm having pretty good luck chipping with a putting stroke and putting my weight towards the front. If I need to carry more, I put the ball towards the front foot, and vice-versa if I need to run it more. My goal is to get the ball on the ground as fast as possible. I use anything from a 7i to wedge, depending on the length I need to carry and any obstacles in my way.

I agree with the people who like to run it to the hole when possible. Just depends on the situation.

I'll run it as stated in the original post. As long as I can clear the fringe and get the ball on the green rolling, I'm happy. My exception is when there is a lot of contours on the green between me and the hole, and I'm uncertain about how much the ball will break, then I will try to fly it to a landing area beyond said contour.

I golf with a guy who uses his putter for EVERYTHING within 40 yards of the green, including jumping over and getting out of sand traps. Most of the time he's deadly on with the distance, but every now and then, I get a good laugh!

Back