Monsta Golf Balls Review Thread

So you are getting the sound and distance loss with all clubs? Interesting. I didn't notice the former at all and definitely did not see distance losses down to a 4i
I am it is pretty significant as well. About a full club with my irons. I am curious if the ball is spinning more with the long irons and driver than I am used to causing the distance loss. Wedges it seems to perform fine and it may roll out a touch more around the greens but overall around the greens the ball has performed better than I expected and very well compared to others in the price range it is just the clicky sound that is bothering me really. I don't need the longest ball but I like a certain feel/sound from my balls.

I am it is pretty significant as well. About a full club with my irons. I am curious if the ball is spinning more with the long irons and driver than I am used to causing the distance loss. Wedges it seems to perform fine and it may roll out a touch more around the greens but overall around the greens the ball has performed better than I expected and very well compared to others in the price range it is just the clicky sound that is bothering me really. I don't need the longest ball but I like a certain feel/sound from my balls.

Are you noticing any ballooning or anything on full shots? Extra spin might cause a loss of distance, but I'd expect you to see that impact ball flight if that's the case. As far as the sound goes, I noticed it initially, but the last several times out it hasn't bothered me in the least.

Are you noticing any ballooning or anything on full shots? Extra spin might cause a loss of distance, but I'd expect you to see that impact ball flight if that's the case. As far as the sound goes, I noticed it initially, but the last several times out it hasn't bothered me in the least.

No not seeing any ballooning the ball flight seems pretty good with these . I personally am not that concerned with the distance loss it is something I can adjust to and play. The sound however is my major hang up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I got out for some chipping. It was just too windy to hit full shots to compare distances and ball flights. In my initial impression, I thought I had observed the ball rolling a lot more (and noted that can be a good thing).

The Test. 3 ProV1s vs 3 Monsta Balls. Most chip shots were hit from just a couple of feet off the green. I just wanted to see how far each ball rolled. I play my chip shots with a heavily delofted 8 iron, off my back foot, while putting my weight on my front foot. I then rock my shoulders like a putt. Now, not every shot is going to be as crisp and clean as other shots. So for this testing, I simply repeated several times. Sometimes I would play all the ProV1s and then all of the Monsta's, other times I would just mix them up. The purpose was to see if there were any trends.

The Results. I actually didn't see any noticeable difference in how far the ball rolled. Certainly, if I were doing this from a statistics standpoint, I would have to conclude that there is no statistical difference. They rolled about the same.

The Unexplained X-factor. Because of the way I hit my chip shots, my ProV1 often jolts a tad left on the first bounce on the green. It has just always been that way. The Monsta Ball did not. It bounced straight and actually appeared to get down to the green and start rolling sooner. Since they each rolled the same distance, I can't explain this. All I can do with this is report the facts. That fact is, the Monsta Ball would hit the green and bounce straight, as opposed to the slight left bounce I always got with the ProV1.

So, despite my initial impressions, the Monsta Ball rolls the same distance as a ProV1 in green side chipping. I can't explain it, but the Monsta Ball actually goes straighter to its original target line than the ProV1.

~Rock

I will have an update tonight. Been dealing with some family issues. I got some numbers on a trackman and some on-course thoughts.

So, despite my initial impressions, the Monsta Ball rolls the same distance as a ProV1 in green side chipping. I can't explain it, but the Monsta Ball actually goes straighter to its original target line than the ProV1.

~Rock

Nice Rock. I really, really like the Monsta from 100 yards and in.

Just getting back from playing in California and I manage to get the balls out for a "full" round, along with some Tour Preferred X and Bridgestone 330 RX, a couple of points:
- The distance of the tee is great a tad longer than Tour Preferred X and Bridgestone 330 RX
- On Wedge shots, I had some check up and also had some that rolled out, for chipping I got a little more roll out than I wanted
- Started to notice a bit more click off wedges, and the clicking on the putter has always been there. Nothing obnoxious
- Started to think about pricing, while I like the Monsta golf ball, I am not sure I would pay $34.99+ shipping for it. It has nothing to do with the golf ball itself, my deal is my buddy of mine is a golf coach and I get free golf balls TPX sent to me every month or so. The few times I have to buy golf balls I been able to get 330rx and Sr2 on online sites for as low as $30 which is great for "premium" balls.

I will continue to play these and have more feedback, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

J,
How did the ball hold up for you vs. the TPX durability wise?

I forgot to mention durability. The Monsta ball excelled in that department. I may have hit one off a metal post and tree. There was some discoloration that should wash off, otherwise it looks great. For comparison purposes, the PV1 I played during that same round got less abuse from vertical obstructions and looked much more worn. The red numbered Titleist ball I tested separately has a permanent scuff mark from a lW flop shot.

J,
How did the ball hold up for you vs. the TPX durability wise?

Absolutely great actually, I hit numerous trees and outside of just a little spit to clean it up, looked well.

Took the monsta ball out for some testing after work while playing 9 holes. Warmed up with the Monsta ball as well as played the first 4 holes with it, until I lost it due to an errant drive. I'm to the point in testing where the sound of the ball isn't even noticeable anymore. In warmups and again on the course, I was seeing a fair amount rollout, quite a bit more than hop and stop. However, with my game I don't really think that's a huge draw back, especially the way this ball has been playing within 20 yards of the green. I don't know if it's improved technique or the ball (or perhaps a combination of the two), but that portion of my game has been really solid the last few weeks. There were a few times tonight I was just off the green and chipped it to within 5 feet each time. The more time I spend with this ball and learn how it reacts, the more I'm enjoying it. I think one of the nice things about this ball is that it is predictable. It might not spin as much as some of the premium balls, but it spins consistently time after time.

Hi All
Wanted to let anyone know that is interested, we are running a 3 day sale(ends Friday at Midnight) with a $3/off every dozen, making cost $31.99/dozen. FREE USA shipping still applies with all orders over $75. Use coupon code septpromo at checkout.
Thanks!
Ken

sorry if I wasnty able to test this a lot lately, life got in the way of yesterday's round, I will try to make it to the course saturday morning

Played with the Monsta again today, didn't switch up with anything else just played it the entire round. I hit all but one fairway today and that was an amazing feeling to have at the end of the round, while I know that the ball wasn't the entire reason it certainly didn't hurt. I was getting amazing distance out of it off both the driver and irons alike. The guys I played with played from a tee box back from me and on the 14th hole made a joke about me playing from the same boxes with them next time. I will say though I put a scuff in one today, nothing major just a small one that for me I wasn't gonna take it out of play.

I went out for nine this afternoon, and I was once again impressed! out of 9 greens, I hit 6 from more than 80 yards, and all of these shots stopped no further than 2 feet than the pitch mark. the other two were fat shots that landed on the front fringe and rolled up to the middle of the green or so, that is some impressive spin for me.

the other 3:
1 in a greenside bunker, a good out (sand save), but I do not typically spin these shots, it went just as expected.
2 chips from less than 5 yards and they were not done good enough for any magic ball to make any differences.

I went out for nine this afternoon, and I was once again impressed! out of 9 greens, I hit 6 from more than 80 yards, and all of these shots stopped no further than 2 feet than the pitch mark. the other two were fat shots that landed on the front fringe and rolled up to the middle of the green or so, that is some impressive spin for me.

the other 3:
1 in a greenside bunker, a good out (sand save), but I do not typically spin these shots, it went just as expected.
2 chips from less than 5 yards and they were not done good enough for any magic ball to make any differences.

I played Wednesday with the Monsta (until I lost TWO off 15th tee box :banghead:) and had the same feelings. This ball just stays on the green, period.

These intrigue me. I wanted to try them and have read that they are a great deal. But they sell for 35$. I kinda anticipated them to be in the 20-25$ range. Bummer...

These intrigue me. I wanted to try them and have read that they are a great deal. But they sell for 35$. I kinda anticipated them to be in the 20-25$ range. Bummer...

Hi there
We do have a $3 off coupon running through midnight tonight if you are interested..just use coupon code 'septpromo' at checkout.
Probably looking a 2 piece ball at the $20-$25 range...we hope to launch one next year. Hope you gives us a try and report back your feedback.
txs
Ken

Hi there
We do have a $3 off coupon running through midnight tonight if you are interested..just use coupon code 'septpromo' at checkout.
Probably looking a 2 piece ball at the $20-$25 range...we hope to launch one next year. Hope you gives us a try and report back your feedback.
txs
Ken

I will thank you!

Sorry for the absent comments. Dog passing away and my grad class have whooped me the last 10 days. I have some comments from my round last week and a trackman session.

On the course I am not liking the feel of this ball. I get that it is a premium ball and will not feel anywhere near as soft as my Supersofts but it also feels harder than a 330-RX or Hex Black. I mean rock hard. I feel like I get no spring effect and compared to these other balls I get less distance with the Monsta Ball although in this last round my ball striking position was inconsistent. I did see an improvement over the Project(a) but I wouldn't consider them in the same class.

For my trackman session I used my 7i and 5 i because that is what I was hitting well and took the average of the top 3 out of 5 shots. I tried using driver also but I was all over the place. I lost my piece of paper with my numbers (will do another data grab) but with both irons I got equal ball speeds but the Monsta gave me about about 5 yards more with 500 rpm less than the B330-RX. It interesting how indoor launch monitor numbers can often not jive with on course performance. But the results definitely warrant another look. Next test is to compare the Monsta balls to the Callaway Tour iz (ball recommended to me by my fitter).

So I got out and played 27 holes. It wasn't intentional, but I 'inadvertently' tested the Monsta ball out. There was a light breeze, not enough to effect club selection. It was cool, like 65 degrees, and very humid. Course conditions were ultra soft, the kind of soft where if you tee off with a 3 wood, you see your ball spun backwards from the ball mark in the fairway.

So the first 9, I played a ProV1. Second 9, I played a Bridgestone 330. Third 9, I was like "hey, I'm having a good ball striking day, lets compare this Monsta ball to the first two rounds."

Off the tee, all balls performed equally both in distance and side spin. Pitching, all of the balls performed the same in terms of rollout. Full shots into the green, they all bit, and depending on the club, may have spun back a bit. The B330 and Monsta have equal ball flight characteristics in that they both launch a bit higher than the ProV1. Putting, well, it's putting. They all rolled true. Strangely enough, I found the B330 to be considerably louder as far as "clicking" than the Monsta ball.

ProV1 still had better durability, but I found the B330 to be shredding and scuffing off my wedges just as easily as the Monsta ball.

So what stands out? I mentioned it in my last post, and I'm going to say it again. For a reason I cannot comprehend, these balls do better at chipping. I chipped in once from a few feet off the green on the 4th hole. That was probably a 20 foot shot. Then I finished my round by holing out from 10 yards away. I seriously cannot explain it, but you can't argue with the results. I also had several green side chips that ended up within 2 feet of the cup, so I didn't have a lot of long putts.

So that's my thoughts for this week. At least for this past week, this ball was pretty similar to a ProV1 and B330.

~Rock

I played a round saturday morning with the monsta ball only, no comparison, and I was once again impressed. I was terrible off the tee and lost four balls... nothing to do with the ball, forgot how to swing a driver. on approach shots, I was throwing darts, and I beleive that the Monsta had something to do with it! a few times, I had long iron shots land on the green and roll no more than a yard, it felt great, but my putter wouldnt help me convert my birdie chances. ended up shooting 97, witch is a bit over what I am used to, but considering 4 lost balls (8 shots! ), it is a decent score for me.

Got out yesterday for 18 using the Monsta ball and came away impressed with the ball and disappointed with parts of my game.

Distance
I continue to see better distance from this ball than others; if I'm between clubs I pick the higher lofted one and usually end up in good shape. I don't know what to attribute the added distance to, but now that I've started playing for it, it is working well for me.

Spin
One of my bigger "complaints" about the ball compared to premium balls was relatively less spin, as I was seeing more rollout with Monsta. I still think that is the case, but I actually got it to spin back with a 9 iron, so it can spin a fair amount, just not as easily in my experience. Two holes after that shot, I had a 7 iron roll out about 10-15 feet.

Spoiler

9 iron spins back:
9ef67b9f1408fe44faed93ed14968a8c.jpg

Durability
I played the same ball for 14 holes before losing it to an errant tee shot. It got a little dirty from time to time, but a few spins in the ball washer and it was back to pristine. No scuff marks or noticeable wear at all.

Final thoughts
Using the Monsta I tied my personal best, and shot a new 9-hole PB. It is hard to tell how much of that is the ball and how much is the work I've been doing with my swing, but the ball did everything I asked it to do and worked great. This ball could easily be my gamer and I would have no issues with it at all.

Extra point
The green eyeball logo is actually a nice identifier when coming up to balls on the course. Very easy to identify Monsta ball compared to another ball. On the flip side, this could distract some, but it doesn't really bother me.

Got out yesterday for 18 using the Monsta ball and came away impressed with the ball and disappointed with parts of my game.

Distance
I continue to see better distance from this ball than others; if I'm between clubs I pick the higher lofted one and usually end up in good shape. I don't know what to attribute the added distance to, but now that I've started playing for it, it is working well for me.

Spin
One of my bigger "complaints" about the ball compared to premium balls was relatively less spin, as I was seeing more rollout with Monsta. I still think that is the case, but I actually got it to spin back with a 9 iron, so it can spin a fair amount, just not as easily in my experience. Two holes after that shot, I had a 7 iron roll out about 10-15 feet.

Spoiler

9 iron spins back:
9ef67b9f1408fe44faed93ed14968a8c.jpg

Durability
I played the same ball for 14 holes before losing it to an errant tee shot. It got a little dirty from time to time, but a few spins in the ball washer and it was back to pristine. No scuff marks or noticeable wear at all.

Final thoughts
Using the Monsta I tied my personal best, and shot a new 9-hole PB. It is hard to tell how much of that is the ball and how much is the work I've been doing with my swing, but the ball did everything I asked it to do and worked great. This ball could easily be my gamer and I would have no issues with it at all.

Extra point
The green eyeball logo is actually a nice identifier when coming up to balls on the course. Very easy to identify Monsta ball compared to another ball. On the flip side, this could distract some, but it doesn't really bother me.
Gotta agree with a lot of what you said, my distance with it is very much greater with this ball. I had a shot that was 127 today dead into the wind so I took my club that would normally go 130 (knowing my distance has been better with this) and put it about 25-30 feet past the pin. I too like the logo, it does stand out in identifying your ball. I also played my best 9 holes with it at OC National with a 40 on the back 9 and that's only cause I messed up 2 putts and my final approach shot. My only complaint would be I wish it were a little softer on my iron shots.

Got a sleeve of Pro V1s last weekend and tried to get out to test them tonight, but it was so soggy that I didn't really get to do any meaningful testing. I'm going to try and get out to do some head to head testing next week.

What questions does anyone have about these balls? Any head-to-head testing you all would like to see that hasn't been covered yet?

Back