Getting a USGA Handicap

adwillingham

2024 Vokey Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone use a website of some sort to obtain a USGA handicap and for recording scores for that? I don't belong to a club or course of any sort, and over 20 rounds probably play 15 different courses. I've done a bit of reading, but don't know if the website route is viable. I've never gotten a real handicap established, but I would like to. Thanks in advance.

It really depends on your area Ad. In ours, it is done by GHIN. I signed up with my club, but I am pretty sure you can do so online as well. Might want to check it out and see what your area uses and if they have an online feature.

You can check your local branch of the USGA and they should have a list of clubs in your area. Start with the USGA website and then move down the line. They will usually tell you if they are set up for online score entry too. You can sign up at the course that has the club and then you can play wherever you want. At least that is how it is set up here.

In WI if you join the WSGA for $20 you can enter your scores online and get an official handicap. I would think most state associations are the same, and the $20 goes to support golf in the state. It's money well spent.

Kevin

Thanks Hawk and everyone else. It does look like I can just sign up through the TN Golf Assn. That looks like the easiest option.

do you want an official hcp index? or do you just wanna track your round and have an unofficial hcp for fun?

I use Dick's Sporting Goods website for an "unofficial" handicap since its free and easy to use. Just sign up through their site and go to the "Handicap Tracker" option in your user profile.

I have an unofficial hcp via oobgolf (I'm a stickler about using official rules.) I'd like to get an official handicap to play in some flighted amateur events. I usually play alone or with whoever I get paired up with at the course so if I were to use something like Golfsmith's service, or something similar; the handicap can be "official" if the rounds entered aren't attested?

I have an unofficial hcp via oobgolf (I'm a stickler about using official rules.) I'd like to get an official handicap to play in some flighted amateur events. I usually play alone or with whoever I get paired up with at the course so if I were to use something like Golfsmith's service, or something similar; the handicap can be "official" if the rounds entered aren't attested?

i use oobgolf also... i dont plan on competing in any real tournaments and oobgolf is free plus i love their stat tracking deal... im fine with an unofficial one

Go to http://www.cdga.org/ and find a club in your area. You can find one that allows online entry.

Here is an answer to your question from their FAQ.

What if I play 18 holes by myself. Do I post that score?
Yes you do. There is nothing in the handicap manual that requires you to play with another person, or have a person attest your score.

Thanks guys...I may start with that, I'm more interested in knowing what my handicap is than officially establishing it (at least for now). I had used nethandicap.com a few years ago, but then you had to pay for it, so I quit.

You can also try digital divot, ad. I found it a little more accurate than oob. I love the guys at oob, but they always said i was better than I was.

You can also try digital divot, ad. I found it a little more accurate than oob. I love the guys at oob, but they always said i was better than I was.

Ok, thanks JB

Thanks for the tip, JB. I signed up as well. I was getting a little too flustered with OOB and DD has a much easier UI than OOB.

Back