Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You??? Mistaken??? Never!!! You are absolutely right, the season is less than a month over and since the Rays have won 15 out of the first 20 games that makes them the team to beat and they'll continue at this pace for the rest of the season. How come the rest of us never see things quite the same way you do? Hmmm gotta ponder that one. Anyway congrats to the Rays for going 122-40 and winning the world championship. Bring on football!!!!!

haha. Well, at least you say something.

Yeah, since I said the Rays will continue on the pace that they are and finish 122-40.

I said it will "probably" be the Rays. It's a tongue in cheek prediction. Not meant to be taken to the bank.

But I still like the Rays.

We on the same page now?

And thank you for doing it. I dont like the DH at all but I dont mind it in the All Star game, now the next step is to change that the outcome of the game determines home field advantage for the World Series.

Agree. I don't like it either. Should be an all or nothing thing. Either both leagues use it or neither. It is a perfect for an all-star game and some spring training games though. I would like to see home field go to the best record just like the NBA and NHL.

Agree. I don't like it either. Should be an all or nothing thing. Either both leagues use it or neither. It is a perfect for an all-star game and some spring training games though. I would like to see home field go to the best record just like the NBA and NHL.

Man, whats up with Brad Penny? Its like he is back to his 2007 form. When he is healthy he has some nasty stuff.

haha. Well, at least you say something.

Yeah, since I said the Rays will continue on the pace that they are and finish 122-40.

I said it will "probably" be the Rays. It's a tongue in cheek prediction. Not meant to be taken to the bank.

But I still like the Rays.

We on the same page now?

We have been on the same page the whole time Nike. You say silly things and I point them out. That is if someone else who reads what you typed has not beaten me to the punch line. Sometimes I will type a :quiet: when a comment is not needed because you have done such a good job of stating a ridiculous point of view that no comment is really necessary. Adding to it could be no better then the words that you have already typed. I just wait for the next chapter of your novel Nike. I enjoy the laughs that the previous pages have brought to me.

Orlando Magic

I believe in supporting teams where you live and raise your family, spend your life, etc...We dont have a NBA team, so i still root for my team of choice. We have a football team and a baseball team.

Orlando Magic

I dont consider them my home team. No more than Miami is. I have nothing against the Magic, but orlando is not Tampa if you ask me. That is no different than Oakland and San Fran or anything else.

true its not the "home" team but they are the very close only an hour or so away but I'm not a real big NBA fan anyways. NFL,NHL,MLB, NBA in that order for me

wow for real, closers are overrated? come on.

Closers are so overrated in baseball.

So it's not going to be for a lack of a closer for the reason not to advance in the playoffs.

We have been on the same page the whole time Nike. You say silly things and I point them out. That is if someone else who reads what you typed has not beaten me to the punch line. Sometimes I will type a :quiet: when a comment is not needed because you have done such a good job of stating a ridiculous point of view that no comment is really necessary. Adding to it could be no better then the words that you have already typed. I just wait for the next chapter of your novel Nike. I enjoy the laughs that the previous pages have brought to me.

That was good for a laugh.

You feel better now?

I'd say a few things but it's not worth it.

wow for real, closers are overrated? come on.

When the average save percentage for closers is 85%, and the top closers like Nathan top out at about 90%, yes, they're overrated.

Or atleast overvalued.

When the average save percentage for closers is 85%, and the top closers like Nathan top out at about 90%, yes, they're overrated.

Or atleast overvalued.

Go ask the Phillies.

Go ask the Phillies.

Well, it's not an optimal situation to be in, but I gave you stats about closers and save situations and save percentages. The difference between a marginal closer and a top notch closer is nominal.

That's the truth of the matter.

Well, it's not an optimal situation to be in, but I gave you stats about closers and save situations and save percentages. The difference between a marginal closer and a top notch closer is nominal.

That's the truth of the matter.

Joe Nathan is a good REGULAR SEASON closer.

There is no one, and I mean no one, like Mo Rivera in the postseason. Without Rivera, no way in hell the Yankees ever win anything. Phillies would have crushed the competition with him, Angels would have perhaps gone to the WS, Twins would've had a legitimate shot against the Yankees, etc.

Closers are extremely important in the postseason. They are the place kickers (NFL Overtime) of the MLB.

You're trying to tell me the difference between Mariano Rivera and Rauch is nominal? LMFAO.

its not even worth it floppy...

its not even worth it floppy...

I know, I know...

dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg

no doubt TC lets talk neckcar! woo hoo turn left baby! :act-up:

no doubt TC lets talk neckcar! woo hoo turn left baby! :act-up:

it is the mlb thread though. oh well, i do enjoy reading everyone getting fired up though.

yeah Baseball is a passionate sport

Joe Nathan is a good REGULAR SEASON closer.

There is no one, and I mean no one, like Mo Rivera in the postseason. Without Rivera, no way in hell the Yankees ever win anything. Phillies would have crushed the competition with him, Angels would have perhaps gone to the WS, Twins would've had a legitimate shot against the Yankees, etc.

Closers are extremely important in the postseason. They are the place kickers (NFL Overtime) of the MLB.

You're trying to tell me the difference between Mariano Rivera and Rauch is nominal? LMFAO.

I gave you stats that back my line of thinking up. When did I compare Rivera and Rauch?

And you said Nathan is a good regular season closer. That I will agree with. But you said earlier that one of the reasons the Twins won't do anything in the post season is because we don't have Nathan.

Hummm, kind of confusing.

And when did I say closers aren't important?

I just hear many, including you, say that without Nathan, the Twins won't have a good chance to win in the post season. Well, he's a top 3 closer in the game DURING THE REGULAR SEASON.

So, that furthurs my point that losing even a GREAT closer isn't going to doom a team like so many believe.

Nathan is a case in point.

I gave you stats that back my line of thinking up. When did I compare Rivera and Rauch?

And you said Nathan is a good regular season closer. That I will agree with. But you said earlier that one of the reasons the Twins won't do anything in the post season is because we don't have Nathan.

Hummm, kind of confusing.

And when did I say closers aren't important?

I just hear many, including you, say that without Nathan, the Twins won't have a good chance to win in the post season. Well, he's a top 3 closer in the game DURING THE REGULAR SEASON.

So, that furthurs my point that losing even a GREAT closer isn't going to doom a team like so many believe.

Nathan is a case in point.

I thought Nathan was the case...until you mentioned that average closers compared to great closers aren't that far away, so I mentioned Mr. Rivera.

He is a GREAT regular season closer, and a VERY GOOD postseason closer. In the postseason, everyone (except for Rivera) goes down a notch in terms of closing it seems. Fuentes blew a few, Nathan, Lidge, etc. You said closers are overrated, and they aren't.

And no, you won't do anything in the postseason. Why? Because an average team needs great pitching, and that includes the back end of the deal, to win playoff games. The Twins don't have the pitching.

Now we can keep arguing, or we can let history speak for itself.

Congrats on the new, non-Nike 3+W btw. Can't help but notice a Nike logo is missing.

I thought Nathan was the case...until you mentioned that average closers compared to great closers aren't that far away, so I mentioned Mr. Rivera.

He is a GREAT regular season closer, and a VERY GOOD postseason closer. In the postseason, everyone (except for Rivera) goes down a notch in terms of closing it seems. Fuentes blew a few, Nathan, Lidge, etc. You said closers are overrated, and they aren't.

And no, you won't do anything in the postseason. Why? Because an average team needs great pitching, and that includes the back end of the deal, to win playoff games. The Twins don't have the pitching.

Now we can keep arguing, or we can let history speak for itself.

Congrats on the new, non-Nike 3+W btw. Can't help but notice a Nike logo is missing.

Fair enough. I'll just say that Rivera is probably the best post season closer in post season history. He's an exception, and definitely not the rule. I guess what I'm saying is is that Rivera can't be compared to anyone regarding post season play from a closer.

And I will totally agree w/ you that closing in the post season is different from regular season. Twins fans were definitely reminded of that last season. And that was always part of my point. Nathan is a different closer in the post season. There's obviously ALWAYS a chance for ANY closer to blow it. And in the post season, the save percentage probably drops a few percentage points. So, like I said, losing your closer isn't going to doom your team, IMO, UNLESS you want to bring Rivera up, which I already said, has to be considered the exception and not the rule.

And about the 3 wood. I got rid of a new Machspeed 3 wood for that Cobra. There's a little story behind it, but this isn't the thread for it.:act-up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back