Divot Mat Training Aid

GG is giving this a test run in the other room right now. I took a few swings and actually really like this thing. She will be on to explain how it all works later.

Well I just took about 15 swings with the mat and it's very interesting. First of all it's really weird to be hitting a golf club indoors I think that is the first thing I need to get used to. It gives you a decent idea of where you are hitting the ball but right now I am trying to decide what the different is between hitting this board and just hitting dirt and looking for the marks?

I did learn that I have problems lining up to the ball, which I guess I kind of already knew. I stand too far then over compensate and then stand too close and end up hitting the wrong ball in the picture. I like the instant results and it does help me immediately fix what seems to be wrong but I am not sure I like hitting the hard surface seems a little weird but I am sure after a few more swings I will get used to it. I am taking a quick 5 min break and then back to work testing....

Here are a few before and after pictures. Clearly I need a LOT of help. But maybe this will be the very tool that gets me the help I need.

Before
851490221_y3tPF-L-1.jpg

After
851490267_8NSoM-L-1.jpg

It does leave some black marks on the club which help you see where you are hitting it. The marks wash right off.
851490305_383eg-L-1.jpg

One of the cool things was the fact that it acts as a fitting tool as well to show lie angle.

Just turn the mat counterclockwise and you'll be fine. hehe

Just turn the mat counterclockwise and you'll be fine. hehe

I know that would fix everything haha. It seems that I stil have trouble figuring out how far or close to stand to the ball. The other thing I am now learning is that, like we have been saying forever, I need to be properly fit for clubs. My lie angle is all off and you can tell because all the marks are on the heel of the club.

How many of the mats does it come with?

This looks pretty cool. I would see how it would be challenging to hit the "ball" since you're not hitting a real ball.

So whats the concept behind it?

It trains you how to not paint your car door some pukey white color :laughing:

All jokes a side ,,,, I would love to hear the review on this one. I bought the tour striker and still working with it before I post my thoughts. I want to give it more time to grow on me :eek:)......

I realize this is an old thread but I thought I'd resurrect it. I would really like a training aid like this that I could use in my back yard perhaps with a hitting net and real balls. I know we have a THP'er that won one at the last outing and it's getting quite a bit of use by him. Have you tried it using a real golf ball?

I'm running on a very limited budget, so I always look for a DIY alternative and ran across this you tube video...
[YOUTUBE]JYllqsdJG-s[/YOUTUBE]

Hopefully the video works, if not bare with me. EDIT: nope, give me a few minutes... That got it, it's learn a new thing day here at THP!

Any thoughts on usefulness of this version compared to the OEM Divot Mat? I'm really intrigued by this version because it's super cheap, and seems like it would give the same feedback. Now I just need to research a viable DIY hitting net.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned by the metal bolt holding the rear of the mat down, because my biggest problem with ball striking is hitting FAT. I don't really know if I could manage to hit quite THAT fat, but...

I know the best practice is still on the range or the course to be able to see actual ball flight, but I have to imagine that with this little <$20 device, and some tape on the club head I would be able to get a visual on good ball striking. It seems like it should also work for chipping and pitching.

The driver would be a problem ,but then the divot mat wouldn't solve that either would it?

Went to their website, and I need to know....did you knock 5 strokes off of your score within 30 days?

I ordered one as my off season is about to begin so i wanted something for some feedback during my winter months

I just finished a quick proof of concept (to use a corporate term), based on my first post above. Nine bucks and change later, I find this to be a viable, cheap alternative to the "real thing". I started out with a small scale 8"x10" version and a few items that I had around. I think I'm going to run with this, and modify it a little (make it bigger). With permission from the powers that be, I'll start a new thread in the next couple days to show the build and the progress, along with my initial thoughts on the POC.

JB, or GG please let me know if it's OK for me to post on this here. I know you received a Divot Mat from the manufacturer for testing/give-away and I don't want to step on any toes.

Of course you can. As long as there is no patent or copyright infringement we see no issues with it at all.

Of course you can. As long as there is no patent or copyright infringement we see no issues with it at all.

I can't imagine there would be any any issues since they use special paper/ink and not powder. Thanks for the reply!

lololololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't even heard of this product. It looks interesting for sure, but not worth $100 I wouldn't think.

Back