Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. I'll just say that Rivera is probably the best post season closer in post season history. He's an exception, and definitely not the rule. I guess what I'm saying is is that Rivera can't be compared to anyone regarding post season play from a closer.

And I will totally agree w/ you that closing in the post season is different from regular season. Twins fans were definitely reminded of that last season. And that was always part of my point. Nathan is a different closer in the post season. There's obviously ALWAYS a chance for ANY closer to blow it. And in the post season, the save percentage probably drops a few percentage points. So, like I said, losing your closer isn't going to doom your team, IMO, UNLESS you want to bring Rivera up, which I already said, has to be considered the exception and not the rule.

And about the 3 wood. I got rid of a new Machspeed 3 wood for that Cobra. There's a little story behind it, but this isn't the thread for it.:act-up:

You're inching closer to my side of the shananigans, so I'll just cut ends while I have somethin' goin for me.
__

How about Ubaldo Jimenez? He's doin' great this year.

You're inching closer to my side of the shananigans, so I'll just cut ends while I have somethin' goin for me.
__

How about Ubaldo Jimenez? He's doin' great this year.

Jimenez is a hell of a hurler. He's making me look good by drafting him pretty early in a few of my fantasy baseball teams.

Man, whats up with Brad Penny? Its like he is back to his 2007 form. When he is healthy he has some nasty stuff.

Penny has been very sharp. He is relying more on the off speed and breaking stuff and has been very unpredictable throwing it. He made a comment about how he only remembered throwing a couple of balls at 100% this year. Most of the time he would just rare back and throw hard. Sometimes that works, other times not. He has caught a lot of batters off guard this year by changing what he is doing. The hitters will catch up a little over time, but then he can adjust again. At least now he knows how to do it.

People think Duncan changes everything about a delivery or mechanics, when the biggest thing he does is come up with game plans to get hitters out. When the pitcher is throwing the right pitches, it is much easier.

BTW, anyone who plays fantasy baseball, if your league has Jamie Garcia of the Cardinals available, pick him up. Guy has been lights out so far. One of the steady comments about him has been 'he has a bunch of ways to get guys out'. I don't think it will continue for the whole season, but you can ride the wave while it is going.

Never took you to be a Cubs fan. Shows how much I know. :D

yep, grew up watching them play, been to wrigley a few times, and idolized mark grace back in my playing days.

after the big ryan howard deal, does anyone else think that the brewers have no chance in keeping prince fielder? he'll be a red sock next year, imo. the sox won't resign beltre, they'll move youklis back to third and the prince will be manning 1st base for them.

yep, grew up watching them play, been to wrigley a few times, and idolized mark grace back in my playing days.

Mark Grace was a good guy (since your lefty and all), Ryno was awesome too. I would love to catch a game at Wrigley. It's always been one of places that I'd love to catch a game. I hear a road trip coming.

Mark Grace was a good guy (since your lefty and all), Ryno was awesome too. I would love to catch a game at Wrigley. It's always been one of places that I'd love to catch a game. I hear a road trip coming.

i love chicago and would go in a heartbeat, although i don't think we should take your car, haha.

i will be up there in june for a corporate visit and we'll be hitting up wrigleyville for sure.

after the big ryan howard deal, does anyone else think that the brewers have no chance in keeping prince fielder? he'll be a red sock next year, imo. the sox won't resign beltre, they'll move youklis back to third and the prince will be manning 1st base for them.

He could always pinch hit fo the Yankees :p I mean Pujlos would start at DH over him

He could always pinch hit fo the Yankees :p I mean Pujlos would start at DH over him

i'm sure you'd love to see that rhino, but it won't happen. i don't see the yankees making a play for either fielder or pujols, not after the monster contract they gace tex.

pujols will stay in st. louis and fielder will be heading to boston, and big pappi's out-a-there.

i'm sure you'd love to see that rhino, but it won't happen. i don't see the yankees making a play for either fielder or pujols, not after the monster contract they gace tex.

pujols will stay in st. louis and fielder will be heading to boston, and big pappi's out-a-there.

I think you got it TC. Prince seems to me like he'll like the bright lights in the big city. Papi looks like he's washed up.

Penny has been very sharp. He is relying more on the off speed and breaking stuff and has been very unpredictable throwing it. He made a comment about how he only remembered throwing a couple of balls at 100% this year. Most of the time he would just rare back and throw hard. Sometimes that works, other times not. He has caught a lot of batters off guard this year by changing what he is doing. The hitters will catch up a little over time, but then he can adjust again. At least now he knows how to do it.

People think Duncan changes everything about a delivery or mechanics, when the biggest thing he does is come up with game plans to get hitters out. When the pitcher is throwing the right pitches, it is much easier.

BTW, anyone who plays fantasy baseball, if your league has Jamie Garcia of the Cardinals available, pick him up. Guy has been lights out so far. One of the steady comments about him has been 'he has a bunch of ways to get guys out'. I don't think it will continue for the whole season, but you can ride the wave while it is going.

I want to hate Penny but I have met him a few times and he couldnt of been a nicer guy. His problem in LA was that he seemed to be more into his race horses and once he got hurt in August he just disappeared throughtout the playoffs. He wasnt even hanging on the bench. Then he comes back with the hated Giants and starts talking crap about LA. His problem was with management but he took it out on the fans, not cool in my books.
Ill keep my eye on Garcia.

I want to hate Penny but I have met him a few times and he couldnt of been a nicer guy. His problem in LA was that he seemed to be more into his race horses and once he got hurt in August he just disappeared throughtout the playoffs. He wasnt even hanging on the bench. Then he comes back with the hated Giants and starts talking crap about LA. His problem was with management but he took it out on the fans, not cool in my books.
Ill keep my eye on Garcia.

One thing we heard about Penny when he signed was that he grew up in Oklahoma (I think) and the Cardinals were his favorite team and he always wanted to play here at some point in his career. Sometimes when a guy gets to play for his childhood team, they have more focus, or step it up a notch, or whatever it is that gets them going. I think in a lot of cases they know what it is like to sit in that stadium and cheer for that team and they don't want those fans to be disappointed. If the injury bug stays away, he should have a productive season. I don't think it will be on the same level as the first few starts, but probably better than what most people expected out of him.

read that too WR but doesnt make much sense. the Indians? but its the neilsen company with some fancy formula so who knows. its based off consumers positive, negative or neutral reactions to brands in their online messages. "Sentiment Rankings"

With all the Yankees bashing on this thread you would think they were the most hated team in baseball. No true, check this link out!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5146663

Now I think it would be nice if we bashed the Indians a bit, lord knows as a Yankee fan I am ready to smack the Red Sox around at any time.

:D

I would think that more Indians fans are "disappointed" in their teams lack of success for so long as opposed to hate? and appears to be based off a teams fanbase as opposed to baseball fans in general?

One thing we heard about Penny when he signed was that he grew up in Oklahoma (I think) and the Cardinals were his favorite team and he always wanted to play here at some point in his career. Sometimes when a guy gets to play for his childhood team, they have more focus, or step it up a notch, or whatever it is that gets them going. I think in a lot of cases they know what it is like to sit in that stadium and cheer for that team and they don't want those fans to be disappointed. If the injury bug stays away, he should have a productive season. I don't think it will be on the same level as the first few starts, but probably better than what most people expected out of him.

The Dodgers have been signing a lot of local boys the last few years and its worked out sometimes. They usually get them at the end of their careers though. Mark Lorretta, Garret Anderson, Jeff Weaver and so on.

Another complete game shut-out by Doc. :act-up:

Another complete game shut-out by Doc. :act-up:

Man, was he awesome. The Mets were on fire and it was basically, "give me the ball". He is a throw back pitcher in a lot of ways and flat out gets the job done.

freakin Royals!

F. Liriano

4-0

1.50 E.R.A

35 K's.

Watch out A.L. We have our Ace back. :act-up:

F. Liriano

4-0

1.50 E.R.A

35 K's.

Watch out A.L. We have our Ace back. :act-up:

We all know what happened last time when everyone was prematurely enshrining Liriano into the HOF.

It was fun watchin' the Yanks today. Cano is ON FIRE. Leading the league in average(20 points ahead of the next closest), 2nd in HR, 4th in the AL in RBI...the only Yankee player EVER to bat .400 w/ 8 HRs in April.

And his defense is unbelievable.

This game recap (4/29/10) sums up Cano's season so far. 2 HR's, a double off the wall...and an amazing play at 2B.
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7741095&topic_id=8879110&c_id=nyy

We all know what happened last time when everyone was prematurely enshrining Liriano into the HOF.

Sure do.

But forgive us for being a little excited that he looks just as nasty today as he did three years ago. :act-up:

Sure do.

But forgive us for being a little excited that he looks just as nasty today as he did three years ago. :act-up:

Yeah, he's doing really well...

...not as well as PHIL HUGHES THOUGH!!! :D (in terms of WHIP and ERA. Has one less win because he's our 5 starter...and less Ks just because...umm....yeah. :p )

Yeah, he's doing really well...

...not as well as PHIL HUGHES THOUGH!!! :D (in terms of WHIP and ERA. Has one less win because he's our 5 starter...and less Ks just because...umm....yeah. :p )

I know you're joking but technically, Liriano is our 5 starter too. Has been since the start of the year.

Even though he threw Winter ball in the Dominican, and had a good spring, Gardy still figured to put him at the 5 spot to ease him in better.

He's obviously our best pitcher, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back