Howdy from New Mexico

stewart34

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.9
Hi all,

Been lurking for a few months and am really enjoying the dialog in here, so I thought I'd go ahead and "make it official"!

I'm in my early 30s and have been playing golf since high school. Just joined a local club and have played more in the past two weeks than had had all of last year. I'm a 22 hdcp right now, but am hoping to get into the mid-teens by the end of the summer.

Thanks for creating this great forum, I look forward to contributing to the discussions!

welcome to THP stewart! you'll enjoy youself here for sure.

Welcome to THP, Stewart!

Thanks, all. Much appreciated! :banana:

Hello and :welcome:

Welcome to THP.

welcome!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard Stewart! New Mexico is on my short list of possible places for a golf trip next year.

Welcome to THP Stewart. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard Stewart! New Mexico is on my short list of possible places for a golf trip next year.

Thanks! There's quite a few great courses within 1-2 hours if you make Albuquerque the home-base for your trip.

Paa-Ko Ridge is a Ken Dye course right outside town. It's a great example of a "high desert" style course.

Twin Warriors and Sandia are also standouts in the Albuquerque area.

You can also take a 45 minute drive to Santa Fe and visit Marty Sanchez, one of my favorite public (and cheap) courses in the state.

Thanks! There's quite a few great courses within 1-2 hours if you make Albuquerque the home-base for your trip.

Paa-Ko Ridge is a Ken Dye course right outside town. It's a great example of a "high desert" style course.

Twin Warriors and Sandia are also standouts in the Albuquerque area.

You can also take a 45 minute drive to Santa Fe and visit Marty Sanchez, one of my favorite public (and cheap) courses in the state.

Thanks Stewart. All the ones you listed were on my list of potentials with the exception of Marty Sanchez. I'll be adding it to the list. Without a doubt Paa-Ko Ridge seems to be a must play. Have you played Black Messa in La Mesilla?

welcome aboard stewart!

Thanks Stewart. All the ones you listed were on my list of potentials with the exception of Marty Sanchez. I'll be adding it to the list. Without a doubt Paa-Ko Ridge seems to be a must play. Have you played Black Messa in La Mesilla?

I played Black Mesa about two years ago. Great course, just a couple of hours north of town. It's another desert layout with a lot of elevated tees and rocky terrain right off of the fairways. The greens are a bit more hilly than normal, making things tough for a high handicapper such as myself (shot a 101 if I remember correctly).

If you're coming from the midwest, I'd imagine Black Mesa would be a really neat change of venue. The course is long (7200+) like most in this area. Luckily, the high elevation helps.

Here's a few more courses that might be worth taking a look at for a trip to these parts:

Pinon Hills - near the Colorado border. It's won a ton of awards for being a great, cheap, municipal course.

Isleta - just south of town

Cochiti - a fun Robert Trent Jones layout between Abq. and Santa Fe

Inn of the Mountain Gods - one of my personal favorites. Up in the mountains a couple of hours outside of Abq. More of a mountains/wooded course. Doesn't look like it belongs in New Mexico.

Hello and Welcome!

:welcome:

Thanks, all! Much appreciated.

Just got back from a long weekend at Sandia. Two rounds, really nice course, the ball flies a mile in that altitude. Can't wait to go back already. It didn't hurt that I hit the slots for about $1K, either. They'll get it back and then some next time, I'd imagine.

welcome to the site

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP!

Buenos Dias and welcome to THP

Back