Do drivers "Wear Out"

I have "broken" about 2 drivers, 1 FW, and 2 irons. I broke 1 driver on the range, where the hosel and shaft meet, the other driver I cracked the face of on the course. The FW was from hitting a rock and cracking it. The irons have always broken in the shaft. 9 iron both times actually.

When I broke the driver on the range the ball went about 10 ft, and the head went about 100 yards.

I think that largely depends on where you are playing and what type of range balls. Many clubs use great range balls. Some use limited flight balls which are even easier on the face.

Why take the chance?We all find lost balls,just use those for your driver

I can't really say I'm all that disapointed with it, I bought the thing pretty cheap from Nickent during their going out sell. It was an after thought purchace that I figured I wouldn't really use. However, I have started using it exclusively now, haha. Who know's, it may never go any further. At first glance, it looks like a spot where the finish has some how peeled off in a tiny spot, but further examination show's a tiny crack. I took a bunch of pictures and only a few came out close and you can't really see much with that.

You can see a ball mark where I hit just above the spot yesterday. Not sure why, but that won't come off, almost like the ball had grit on it that scratched the face.
P1020381.jpg

P1020387.jpg

duey, don't heel your tee shots, haha.

seriously though, that sucks for you man. i've never had to deal with a broken club before, knock on wood, so i can only imagine how that might feel.

duey, don't heel your tee shots, haha.

seriously though, that sucks for you man. i've never had to deal with a broken club before, knock on wood, so i can only imagine how that might feel.

Yeah, I did that on the driving range and then stoner and I went out to play and all I could do was hit the toe, lol. I suck at driving anyway.

Clubs wearing out?

Clubs wearing out?

This may have been asked at some point in the past but I couldn't seem to find it if it has. Do drivers wear out(lose their pop; however you want to say it} or do they just break(crack etc.). I think they do seem to deaden with use; but that's just my opinion.

I think the more likely thing to wear out is the shaft. Over time, the constant flexing and bounce back as you swing has its effects on the metal. The memory of the metal cannot last forever. The face of a club is a much smaller surface and the effects of this kind of wear would not be as noticeable. But the shafts can change flexibility by a lot over time.

My regular flex graphite shafts had over 10 years of use on them and the flex had changed to that of a woman's flex and varied among the 3, 5, and 7 because of the difference in amount of use over that time frame. My 5 showed it the most. So, I am having the shafts changed because I like the heads that are like the old Orlimar Trimetals. The distance is still there, I just need to restore the shaft flex and consistency. Hope this helps you.

Zombie thread.

<Redacted>

Last edited:
My Covert has worn out it's welcome. Trade in time for R1 Black!

Until I found the RFX, I thought a driver would lose its pop after a round....lol

#clubhoprobs

My Covert has worn out it's welcome. Trade in time for R1 Black!

Well that's not the fault of the drivers face. Just your never ending question for perfection. Even though you had it with the covert.

I believe that they do "wear out." I probably hit driver about 3000 times per year and always they do eventually bust but before that they lose their "pop". The longest lasting? Probably a TM SuperQuad that stayed long right up until the face split at nearly two years. I doubt that I hit it hard enough anymore to really "wear it out."

I believe that they do "wear out." I probably hit driver about 3000 times per year and always they do eventually bust but before that they lose their "pop". The longest lasting? Probably a TM SuperQuad that stayed long right up until the face split at nearly two years. I doubt that I hit it hard enough anymore to really "wear it out."

I look at PGA tour pros like Tiger who are playing a 4 year old model. Is that model newly manufactured for him or has he used the same one for 4 years. Because I would assume that he has hit that driver a lot more than you hit that SuperQuad.

I look at PGA tour pros like Tiger who are playing a 4 year old model. Is that model newly manufactured for him or has he used the same one for 4 years. Because I would assume that he has hit that driver a lot more than you hit that SuperQuad.

So, you think a pro hits any driver 4000+ times? Maybe so, I doubt it.

So, you think a pro hits any driver 4000+ times? Maybe so, I doubt it.
I would think in tigers case he has hit it far more than that. If he has it it is probably because he kept it I doubt Nike is making new old drivers for him and if you look at how many practice sessions and practice rounds and competitive rounds he plays I would think 4000+ really isn't that hard to believe.

This is all assumption but with rory having trouble with the covert you would think he would have had the option to play an older model if they still made them.

This is all assumption but with rory having trouble with the covert you would think he would have had the option to play an older model if they still made them.

What trouble? Rory has been crushing his driver all season.

He isn't hitting it as well as he hit the 913 and at the very beginning of the season he wasn't hitting it well at all.

He isn't hitting it as well as he hit the 913 and at the very beginning of the season he wasn't hitting it well at all.

Swing related.

Swing related.
I agree but I'm sure if he had the option he would have tried something else. Did it with the putter a few times. I know the putter is different but I'm sure he would with the driver too.

I don't think they wear out. I had a Cleveland Launcher and that thing is still going strong god knows how many balls I hit with it.

I agree but I'm sure if he had the option he would have tried something else. Did it with the putter a few times. I know the putter is different but I'm sure he would with the driver too.

He's had more than ample time to switch stuff. He did it with his 3w as well. I think Rory knows it has nothing to do with the new clubs. It has everything with the smoking blind tennis player / underwear model girlfriend he travels the work with. And I don't begrudge him.

I recall a blurb where D. Johnson said he only hits driver like 4 or 5 times on the range before a round because it would break if he hit it more.

Two examples.
G-Mac used the same FT-5 for 3 years and it was the same head. Until it cracked, he had never had it switched. He hits far more balls than listed above in a given year.
Sneds is still using his black TM driver from 3-4 years ago. He got 2 at the time and has been using the same one since the beginning. He is a practicing machine.

Two examples.
G-Mac used the same FT-5 for 3 years and it was the same head. Until it cracked, he had never had it switched. He hits far more balls than listed above in a given year.
Sneds is still using his black TM driver from 3-4 years ago. He got 2 at the time and has been using the same one since the beginning. He is a practicing machine.

Yeah I think Sneds uses the original Burner Superfast. I was shocked to see that someone as highly touted as himself doesn't have a newer driver (ie J40). But ultimately it comes down to whatever feels right. My friend used a cobra driver all through high school and freshman year of college. Next season, first hit, crack....amateurs can't wear out drivers, we get new ones before they wear out!

Back