Nike Vapor Speed Driver - Preview Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
THP was fortunate enough to be able to attend Nike's official unveiling of their Vapor metal-woods lineup at The Oven in Dallas and get some hands on time with the lines as well as a deep dive into the technology and specifications of the different clubs.

The current release date for drivers, fairways, and hybrids is 1/30/15.

Information on the trip to The Oven can be found here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...0-Live-Update-Thread-THP-Visits-The-Nike-Oven

This thread will serve for the Nike Vapor Speed Driver.

Vapor Driver Lineup Info:

With the Vapor driver lines Nike is addressing some things that many of us out there have been pondering as far as direction is concerned. Foremost Nike understands that like it or not, distance matters to us all. Some may talk about the distance claims we see with some level of chagrin, but in the end, distance matters to amateur golfers, we want it and we want it WITH forgiveness.

DSC_0002-L.jpg

DSC_0003-L.jpg

First and foremost, the Cavity Back technology is alive and well, and is going nowhere. Nike are firm believers in what it does and what they have learned it can be evolved to do with specific structural and design adaptations. The Cavity Back tech allows for a forward weight that can keep the MOI constant across the club and also reduces the size of the gear effect while increase overall stability (resistance to twisting). Overall you get less changes to the overall launch conditions across the face of the drivers which in turn helps reduce the hook/cut flights.

While all of that has been standard with the CB tech, the BIG change that is allowing that added stability is the use of what Nike R&D calls "Fly Beams". These are like I-Beams in the head which are visible in the cavity but actually run all the way through the heads. The reason for these are to reduce flex in the body and keep it in the face so that energy is only being absorbed and returned at the face, limiting loss through the rest of the head. Ensuring the energy is not lost elsewhere and stays with the face flexion means more speed, and speed means distance.

DSC_0032-L.jpg

The three heads also mark the return of the Compression Channel, as it turns out, much at the urging of Tiger Woods for the team to take a look at it again. The channel flexes BOTH ways (compress and open) depending on where the impact on the face is at. This allows for a balance of CT across the entire face. The channel though is much more shallow at the center of the face as well as beveled to keep the CT from exceeding max while away from the center it gets much deeper to bring it up in other places.

Additionally the Flex Loft adapter has changed, but just in weight. Nike managed to save 5g in overall weight with the adapters while keeping the 15 in 1 setting ratio (in what many feel is the best adapter out there, I'm one of those). The 5g represents 30% savings and with that means a lighter headweight than we have seen from Nike (204 range now, 210 previously) and this should allow the head to pair with heavier shafts and SW out better. Also, they are backwards compatible and old adapters will work in these heads too. But with that will come about a 1.5 swing weight change because of the 5g.

Nike is also adamant that these three heads are the SAME HEADS you will see in the hand of their players, no A, B, C, whatever versions. They want it to where if their player goes and picks up a head off the shelf and plugs in their settings/shaft it will perform the exact same. There is a big push from them about making what the tour players play available to all of us, a BIG push as they believe this is what the consumers want and DEMAND.

DSC_0006-L.jpg

Nike Vapor Speed Driver Info:

The Speed is a 460cc head that is 1.5mm deeper than the Covert 2.0 was, and this along with the channel and cavity changes have made for some interesting changes performance wise from the 2.0.

• Higher Launch, Lower CG (larger face helps here)
  • Softer Toe (design) making for a more pear shape look at the front and helping balance the elongated head visually
  • 1.4% Lower CG
  • CG is 1.2% closer to the face
  • CG is 63% more centered to neutral
  • 204g vs 209.9g head weight
  • On a 95mph swing:
    • 3 yard increase from 2.0
    • Same ball speed in center
    • Increase of .5 ball speed on heel/toe strikes
    • Increase of .2 in Launch Angle
    • Decrease of 402 RPM's
  • Stock shaft is Fubuki Z 50, with the ZT available. Authentic shafts, w/ Nike Volt highlights (approx 50.00 upcharge to the Diamana S+ or D+)
It is also important to note, they believe this is the head that will be best for the majority of amateurs, BUT, they believe all can be fit to anyone to be effective. This one is the highest spinning and launching head in the lineup, but its still not a high spin head, it will work well for many with a negative AoA, an example of this is that Nick Watney will be putting it into play because it actually got him above 10* launch but without too much spin jump. The Speed will definitely be getting some play on tour.

Retail will be $299 and again, release is set for 1/30/15

Some Images:

DSC_0029-L.jpg

DSC_0030-L.jpg

DSC_0031-L.jpg

DSC_0033-L.jpg

photo%202%20%283%29-L.jpg

• Staff
Hit all three of these a lot yesterday, but I hit this and the Pro the most.

Honestly, it does launch higher, and it does spin a touch more, but it is NOT as drastic as wee see in some lines. Feel at impact is very very good, the sound is solid and will be one that any considers a good sound. The Fubuki pairing is a lightweight shaft, but for the point this hits on their spectrum its a solid pairing. I'll have more thoughts as I get time to digest an breath some mre, but they do expect tour play here (Watney already and Wie is deciding between this and Pro) and I really hope it isn't overlooked. I could have easily gone Pro (as I did) or Speed, but sat in that range where with tweaking the Pro was the more comfortable setup for me.

I know some will talk about the Volt and the graphics, but the crown looks GOOD out at address and in the sun.

• Staff
And, oh, hi:

photo%202%20%282%29-L.jpg

Well great now theres another $300 gone from my wallet! this looks amazing IMO I love the bright volt color. Can't wait to hit this. Now to wait for the release and a few more peoples thoughts on feel before i get to hit it and make my own decision.

I really hope the expanded fitting idea comes to Kansas City. I am very intrigued by these drivers, but after being fit for my last, I cannot imagine buying without being able to get some numbers.

This is the one of the three I'm most interested in hitting. I'm not in love with the color, but I don't hate it either.

• Staff
I really hope the expanded fitting idea comes to Kansas City. I am very intrigued by these drivers, but after being fit for my last, I cannot imagine buying without being able to get some numbers.

Not sure on locales, but I am going to talk about the push toward fitting being important to them again and on the forefront in a homepage article, as well as some other things in my head about this line and their direction.

Looking forward to reading that one buddy!

I feel like I need to hit this one. I love the looks and tech of the Flex more, but I'm realistic about where my game is at.

I want to hit this driver badly.

Light and high launch...right up my alley.
With it not being a high spin head I'd be curious to see what kind of numbers I could put up with it.

I do like the price point. ..makes sense with the other similar drivers coming out from other companies

Little more ball speed off the heel and toe sound good to me.

James the 400 RPM less is that compared to the Covert 2.0? Wonder where the spin compares to the original covert head, since they raised the spin on that model for the 2.0.

I really hope this one doesn't get slept on with the other two out there.

I don't think it will. This will naturally fit more than the other 2 I think with its launch characteristics then add the price point and you have a good seller.

Too much like Phil Knight University colors, meh.....

Nike Vapor Speed Driver - Preview Thread

Little more ball speed off the heel and toe sound good to me.

James the 400 RPM less is that compared to the Covert 2.0? Wonder where the spin compares to the original covert head, since they raised the spin on that model for the 2.0.

Yeah, the 2.0. I don't know, it was cool to hear them talk about some of the shortcomings they have found looking back on and evolving from the 1.0, namely the CG and how penalizing it could be. They did say because of the Fly Beams the stability is much much better, and from having hit the 1.0, 2.0, and now these three heads, I agree with it.

It's also really nice to see he compression channel back. Nate described it pretty interestingly, it's not just a trampoline, but a spring board too.

I don't think it will. This will naturally fit more than the other 2 I think with its launch characteristics then add the price point and you have a good seller.

You're right there, though I think some will just go pro for the black finished face. But, that is part of how they got the price point where they did on this one.

First off the rails intrigue me, and that crown design sure seems busy, I'd be curious if it would be too distracting.

First off the rails intrigue me, and that crown design sure seems busy, I'd be curious if it would be too distracting.

Its cliche, but its not at all. It really isnt, but to me the only one that ever was, was the R1.

Color me intrigued. In the past higher launcher higher spin drivers have not fit me well. I had to look into upgraded shafts, might be the case with this one...which would be the $50 up to Diamana which means knowing me I might just put out the extra $50 on top of that and look at the pro. I like the 2.0 and really liked it with the Oban gold.

Our ur rep had multiple option with 2.0 (Aldila tour green and blue, several Oban shafts plus KK) will any of these be offered on top of what you have mentioned here?

Color me intrigued. In the past higher launcher higher spin drivers have not fit me well. I had to look into upgraded shafts, might be the case with this one...which would be the $50 up to Diamana which means knowing me I might just put out the extra $50 on top of that and look at the pro. I like the 2.0 and really liked it with the Oban gold.

Our ur rep had multiple option with 2.0 (Aldila tour green and blue, several Oban shafts plus KK) will any of these be offered on top of what you have mentioned here?

The direct quote I got on shaft options was "If we have a relationship with the company, you can get it".

The direct quote I got on shaft options was "If we have a relationship with the company, you can get it".
Isn't that the same for any company? I guess it's an easy out with the "relationship" part. I mean Nate has a relationship with Miyazaki, but they have not been offered.

Isn't that the same for any company? I guess it's an easy out with the "relationship" part. I mean Nate has a relationship with Miyazaki, but they have not been offered.

I guess so, I know some are pretty stubborn about catalog only, I think they meant more along the lines of if they work with the company and can get it, they will. Since Nike has never worked with Miya, I would assume that would be an example of no can do.

I dunno, just going by what I was told when the q's were asked though.

Pretty much. What I find strange is that Miyazaki has not been in nikes catalog, but if you go to miyazakis web page it says you can custom order through Nike.

I guess so, I know some are pretty stubborn about catalog only, I think they meant more along the lines of if they work with the company and can get it, they will. Since Nike has never worked with Miya, I would assume that would be an example of no can do.

I dunno, just going by what I was told when the q's were asked though.

thanks bro. Guess I will wait til my guy gets things in. I'll bug him next month, plus he is n staff so hopefully he will have some insight, although if the Diamana works in this like it does for me in Ping won't need to change

Jman,
I currently game the 2.0 and love it. Is there really much difference between that and the Speed? I saw in your notes that a 95mph swing will see a 3 yard increase so I am assuming it is not worth the upgrade but I wanted to know your opinion.

Back