Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Last Thursday, Mrs. Esox and I played a quick nine holes while Junior Lancer was having an extended lesson to get her season started. We teed off on the back nine. The 10th hole is 350ish dog leg left. If you drive it 260 or so through the fairway there's a pond that runs most of the way to the green. There's a willow tree at the corner of the pond edge where it runs perpendicular to the fairway. I was just right of and close to the willow, with the pond between me and the green. Had about 110 yards between me and the hole with willow branches hanging down to maybe 10 feet above the water. Couldn't go up and over, and Old Man Willow ain't lettin' some stupid golf ball go through. Even if it is a yellow Srixon.

I told my old lady, "Watch this toots." Took my 20* hybrid, hooded the face a little with my hands well in front of the ball, then put a half power slice swing on it. It shot out low and went about 70 yards like a knuckle ball, skipped three times on the water and up on to dry ground, and ended up about 5 yards from the green. Chipped up and made par. Completely ridiculous, but it worked. Probably wouldn't work again for the next 99 tries, but it impressed the heck out of Mrs. Esox. She was all like, "that was great" and "you're so cool" and "I'm lucky you're my man."

Well maybe she said something more like, "That was cool, but get over yourself."

Who's taken a crazy chance just for the hell of it, and pulled off a trick shot?

Kevin

Sweet shot dude! I rarely can pull off crazy stuff like that when I try, once in a while I'll amaze myself but nothing close to that shot!

I think the only time I multiple skipped a ball across the water was when the pond was frozen over.

Heckuva shot Esox.

A couple times I had greenside chips that had banks behind the hole, I hit the bank once, spun it back and let it roll down the hill into the hole. Or ocassionally if there are trees infront of me I aim for the littlest gap in them.

good stuff esox!

Fortunately, I live for this stuff. With my game, you either learn trick shots or post big numbers. I really do enjoy having to create shots... low skidders that cut into the fairway, hardpan lies, big sweeping hooks around obstacles, those are my stock in trade. I haven't had the opportunity to intentionally skip a ball across a pond although I did it once by accident. I have seen it done once. A buddy called his shot and I hooted, then he actually pulled it off just like yours. I didn't say another word, I just walked away.

A couple times I had greenside chips that had banks behind the hole, I hit the bank once, spun it back and let it roll down the hill into the hole. Or ocassionally if there are trees infront of me I aim for the littlest gap in them.

I rarely seem to find my way through those little gaps. I try to steer the ball I think, and that usually ends with the sound of ball on wood. That one off the bank and back into the hole is a good one. I'm not that spinny generally.

Kevin

I've pulled off some pretty crazy shot's, but always unintentionally, lol. I hit a hook drive a few day's ago that must have hit a sprinkler, shot straight back towards the middle of the fairway and ended up being my longest drive of the year, lol. I'm like "Who's your daddy"?

That is cool. Great shot!

Im just going to call you Esox Mickelson. You both play LH. Nice shot.

crazy shot! I'm rather good at hitting a slice off a tree and back into the center of the fairway...

With the places I tend to hit my ball, my whole game is just one trick shot after another. From driver out of the trees to a wedge under one tree and over the next, that's just how my game plays out. If I wasn't playing those types of shots, I wouldn't even recognize the game. :confused2:

Not bad not bad. I would never try it with a yellow Sri though

Didn't you know the yellow Srixons are more buoyant than the white ones? Easy shot. :D

Very cool! The last time I skipped a golf ball over some water, it plugged itself into the muddy bank on the far side.

That's awesome and the fact that you called it is sweet. I've intentionally banana sliced a shot around a tree (it was on the left side off the fairway with the a dogleg right) and had it land on the green. I have to say it was the best looking slice I've ever hit. I hope to never hit it like that again. :D

Georgia Golf Outting Day 1 and I am on a short par 4. Played my hybrid with about 75 yards to the green which has a small pond in fron of it. I take out my 56 degree and hit it fat....the ball travels to the front side of the pond where there is this nice rock wall that the ball bounces off of and over the pond and into a bunker. Chipped out of the bunker and 2 putted for a bogey. hahaha. Needless to say, I was playing my green CHROMAX ball that was given to my bro at the THP FL outting, so JB if you have anymore of those lucky Shamwrecked balls send them my way!

Last edited:
The Chromax is known to do amazing things. Unfortunately, snake-holes are their kryptonite.

Btw, great read as always, Esox.

As a junior I once hit a flop shot into very strong wind while facing away from the pin and wound up about a foot from the hole.

i love it when you call an impossible shot and it works... with witness's...
i told a buddy of mine i was going to drive a green... he laughed and said "thats 409 to the front"...
he can carry a teeshot around 280... i can carry a teeshot 230...
i gave him honors and he promptly split the fw to about 290...
i stepped to the teebox... took a nice and easy swing... carried about 220... hitting the cartpath i was aiming for... bouncing really high and traveling down the cartpath 20ryds short of the green...
i almost called it...
ive only recreated that shot 1 other time... all the other times it took bad/funny bounces off the cartpath

Back