Shaft Optimizer from Mizuno

C

ChristianGolfer

Mizuno

Anyone ever go through this? Or does anyone ever know anything about it? The shop charges $50 for the service but if you purchase shafts he'll give it back.

We got to see it at the PGA Show and should have one year very soon for an article we are working on. It is a very cool device that seems to work rather well. I believe Keith on here went through it recently.

That is good info to have JB, is there a time frame for when you should receive it and review it?

They said it would be shipping to us by May 5th.

Yes, I did go through this and it was free of charge. The optimizer is a device built with a club on it and you seing it several times just like a regular club and it measures your specs such as swing speed, tempo, kick point ect.. and recommends the best shaft/flex to match your specs. It really works and its pretty cool. It had my specs correct. I am not aware of stores charging and the two different stores where I tried it out were using it as an additional fitting tool for customers to get the best set up for them. I did not pay a dime.

Keith I was just looking for you so I could message you about this. What shafts did you go with?

In the Mizuno's I went with the Dynamic Gold Super Lite. I think they make a shaft that is even lighter and believe its call Xtra-Lite or something like that.

I've seen this in the simulator at the local shop... figured it had something to do with shaft fittings.

I also went through this at my local golf tec when I got fitted for my MP-58's. I think the system is awesome!!! It gave me the option of a KBS tour hard stepped, Project X 6.0, and the Dynamic gold S300 hard stepped. I tried all 3 shafts out and picked the Project x's due to the great feel and consistency that I had. It is amazing what a difference the right shaft can make in your game. I am hitting my irons straighter with more consistent contact than I ever have before. I HIGHLY recommend this set up.

Mizuno was at the Greater Madison Golf Show back in March and they had a tent set up where you could test hit a bunch of different clubs and they also had where you could try out the shaft optimizer.
Its a pretty cool device and is a great tool to have when shopping for new clubs.

In the Mizuno's I went with the Dynamic Gold Super Lite. I think they make a shaft that is even lighter and believe its call Xtra-Lite or something like that.

The lighter shaft you may be referring to the Dynalite Gold Super Lite. They launch the ball high and snap like toothpicks. I have a set of MX-25s with them (stiff w/ sensicore) and have snapped five of the eight in the set in less than three years, each about 1-6 inches under the grip. The walls are just too thin. I started replacing them with Dynamic Golds (not Dynalite and not Super Lite) for the additional strength. I can't keep replacing shafts - it started getting real pricey.

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer at the new GolfSmith in OP

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer at the new GolfSmith in OP

New GolfSmith opened at 12020 Metcalf today. Pops and I went there. Pops picked up a Bushnell V2 that will soon be in my bag(little does he know!) I used the Mizuno shaft optimizer. I wish that I could remember the guys name that helped me. He was great. I had an average swing speed of 77. It recommended:
Dynalite Gold XP R300
Project X 5.0
Rifle Precision 5.0

Good info for me as I already have Dynalite Gold's in the shaft already. Now I just hit from a lie board and I am good to go.....except I need to find a repeatable swing!

Re: Mizuno Shaft Optimizer at the new GolfSmith in OP

Re: Mizuno Shaft Optimizer at the new GolfSmith in OP

I heard it was open. I'll have to check it out.

the golf retail business is getting pretty saturated out south.

Will the Optimizer also give graphite shaft recommendations for irons and also for woods ?

Called my local GS this morning about setting up a time to go through this. I need to look at my iron shafts with all that I've been through there is no way I'm still in the 6.0 shaft range. The unit was down but he said as soon as it's up he'll have me in no charge to see just what shafts I should be gaming now. I still love the play of my MX-23's.

Last edited:
Well I got the call and went in but go figure the unit they have isn't convertible to LH'd. Did get on the Vector unit and found my swing speed but I was looking forward to the other info as well. Did get to hit the MX-200's (nice) with different shafts. Demo'd a DG R300, DGSL R, Rifle 5.0 and KBS Tour Reg. I have to admit really liking the KBS a lot! Long and short of it found that I'm a tweaner low end of a 5.5 and high end of 5.0 so where as before I was a tweaner 5.5 to 6.0. I have a set of Accra Tour Steels trimmed at 5.3 here at the house maybe that's the call. Anyone have info on when Miz will have units for us lefties?

The shaft optimizer is an awesome tool while selling irons that I use on a daily basis. I'm surprised that some shops would charge $50 for it, we do it for free, and it only takes about 2 minutes or less. For those curious, its basically a club with a sensor attached to it that you hit with about 3 times. After each hit it gives you a swing speed followed by 4 numbers. You enter each of those numbers it the mizuno software and it pops out a list of shaft recommendations. It's pretty cool and takes some of the guess work out of it.

Used this weekend at a demo day for free. It was attached to Mizuno's own fitting 6 iron. Measured swing speed (89) and some other number, in the thousands (mine was 3360). Anyone have any idea what that number is? Spin rate for a 6 iron?? Optimizer recommended the GS96 Dynalite and the GS 95 s 300 (Dynalite) and the Nippon Pro 950.

The shaft optimizer is an awesome tool while selling irons that I use on a daily basis. I'm surprised that some shops would charge $50 for it, we do it for free, and it only takes about 2 minutes or less. For those curious, its basically a club with a sensor attached to it that you hit with about 3 times. After each hit it gives you a swing speed followed by 4 numbers. You enter each of those numbers it the mizuno software and it pops out a list of shaft recommendations. It's pretty cool and takes some of the guess work out of it.

Do any of the big golf chains use the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer? Any of them allow its use for free?

I believe Edwin Watts does not charge for it.

I believe Edwin Watts does not charge for it.

Bummer, no EW here in Oregon. I wonder if Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith has them and doesn't charge for its use?

Golfsmith here in the Detroit area does not charge from my experience yesterday so I can't see them charging anywhere else.

Used this weekend at a demo day for free. It was attached to Mizuno's own fitting 6 iron. Measured swing speed (89) and some other number, in the thousands (mine was 3360). Anyone have any idea what that number is? Spin rate for a 6 iron?? Optimizer recommended the GS96 Dynalite and the GS 95 s 300 (Dynalite) and the Nippon Pro 950.

im guessing that is a backspin number - my numbers were similar and my swing coach wanted to get me into a shaft with lower backspin numbers - the project X was best - then the dynalite gold - and KBS stiff steel- i think from memory

Thanks, but how does a gadget on a shaft measure the backswing on a golf ball??

It measures clubhead speed, swing tempo, toe down, kick angle, and release factor. 3 swings after you warm up, plug the 5 numbers into the software, and it pops out the recommended shafts. Its no different really than the swing speed devices you attach to the shaft of your clubs to determine clubhead speed.

It worked for me, I was professionally fit and it nailed the shafts I sepnt an hour on the range trying to figure out.

Local Golfsmiths, Rogers Dunns, and Las Vegas Golf all do it for free. Not sure why anyone would charge for it.

Back