Trying To Break 90 Club

95 on Saturday, with a 54 out and a 41 in. 104 on Sunday, 52 out and 52 in. While I'm disappointed in the scoring, the improvements in the execution of my game have been significant this year. I'm close. What this weekend taught me was: the 41 is there for me, if I can stay focused and keep from losing my composure (and my swing). On each of the +50 nine-hole sets, I really only had one or two holes where I came undone. It would start with a fore-headed a wedge, then I would start bailing out of my swing with the 56 or 60 degree clubs, and next thing I know I'm criss-crossing a green multiple times, and not breathing.

44 front 46 back. Coming into 18 and nutted a drive to 150 out. Just need a clean seven iron to the green and i shank it right to the green side lake. Walked off with a triple bogey. All I could do is laugh.

46 out 50 in for a 96. I was lights out holes four through nine; only +3. Four triples killed me today but I'm feeling pretty confident I'll break through soon. I didn't even drive the ball well today and I still made the most of it with good iron play and putting. 31 putts, 5/14 FIR and 2/18 GIR.

PB yesterday of 82

I played from the whites (5900) and usually play from men's (6300) at my club.

My buddy was in town who is probably a 36 hcp, so we played it forward.

My putter was the difference, as my PB from the men's tee is 83.

Still, super stoked about the round!

Nice PB rush!

PB yesterday of 82

I played from the whites (5900) and usually play from men's (6300) at my club.

My buddy was in town who is probably a 36 hcp, so we played it forward.

My putter was the difference, as my PB from the men's tee is 83.

Still, super stoked about the round!

A score is a score! Congrats on the PB!

2 weeks ago I carded a new personal best (85) and yesterday I beat that mark by a stroke. In fact, on the back nine I was only +3. I had three 3-putts and 2 penalties, which really hurt. Take those away and I'm flirting with the 70's.
Keep up the good work bud!

I started playing this summer and the past Friday, I broke 100 for the first time (98). Going under 90 is one of my targets for next year (season is about to end where I live). I need to work on a lot of things to get there. Mainly I need to work on my short game, especially the pitching (from maybe 50 yards and a bit shorter). Also my long game needs to be more consistent (even if I was very sucessfull with the driver when I did 98, probably played over my abilities and only missed fairway once...).
Very much looking forward to my first full season of golf next year!

First entry into the Break 90 thread after graduation from the break 100 thread. I actually broke 100 for the first time around May-June of this year with a 96.

Interesting journey since then. After reading so many threads on the various forums, I was convinced I needed "real clubs" when I got better. My personal deal was I would buy better player clubs after breaking 100 in back to back rounds. Went from RAZR X HL to AP2. Didn't realize how bad my swing was. Since my late summer switch, I have been trying to get back my personal best. Took steps back to the 105-110 range. With lots of range time, I'm back in the PB range. In hindsight, I should have stuck with my shovels, but I was stubborn and wanted new clubs.

Last 2 full rounds, I put up 98 but had real chances to threaten 90. Two rounds ago my putter and short game killed my best driving day ever. Last round on Saturday, I had 10 penalties on a water filled course on both tee shots and approaches. 5 pars was a personal best.

Looking forward to the journey.

Hang in there, you will do it.

Went 48/46 for a 94 last Sunday; hopefully I can get out again soon and keep it going

First entry into the Break 90 thread after graduation from the break 100 thread. I actually broke 100 for the first time around May-June of this year with a 96.

Interesting journey since then. After reading so many threads on the various forums, I was convinced I needed "real clubs" when I got better. My personal deal was I would buy better player clubs after breaking 100 in back to back rounds. Went from RAZR X HL to AP2. Didn't realize how bad my swing was. Since my late summer switch, I have been trying to get back my personal best. Took steps back to the 105-110 range. With lots of range time, I'm back in the PB range. In hindsight, I should have stuck with my shovels, but I was stubborn and wanted new clubs.

Last 2 full rounds, I put up 98 but had real chances to threaten 90. Two rounds ago my putter and short game killed my best driving day ever. Last round on Saturday, I had 10 penalties on a water filled course on both tee shots and approaches. 5 pars was a personal best.

Looking forward to the journey.

Good luck out there, and this is just my opinion(I think most don't share it) but unless I was a borderline scratch player or better I would never play "players club", I would always play either GI irons or something in between. I feel the benefit that players club give you is nowhere near the benefit that GI irons would. If you catch it just a little off on a players club you're off the green, with a GI you're probably 15ft from your target. If I can get the benefit from a club I'm taking it. Now if I knew I could strike it off the center of the face every time, maybe I would switch to a blade because of the feel and shot shaping but until that happens(which is probably never will) I'll be playing "chunkier" irons.

Good luck out there, and this is just my opinion(I think most don't share it) but unless I was a borderline scratch player or better I would never play "players club", I would always play either GI irons or something in between. I feel the benefit that players club give you is nowhere near the benefit that GI irons would. If you catch it just a little off on a players club you're off the green, with a GI you're probably 15ft from your target. If I can get the benefit from a club I'm taking it. Now if I knew I could strike it off the center of the face every time, maybe I would switch to a blade because of the feel and shot shaping but until that happens(which is probably never will) I'll be playing "chunkier" irons.

Another thing to consider: JB is playing Wilson Staff D200 irons - definitely not "players clubs" & not what you'd expect for someone playing off a 6 HC. I think that's my take-home messeage: "Take the forgiveness"

Also: with snow on the ground here, it's depressing reading about other guys golfing. Enjoy it regardless of the score!

I didn't see this thread until after I returned home. Ironic timing.

I had an on-course ephiphany this past week. In the middle of my 2nd round, a solo effort to find my swing, I wondered why I was playing with the AP2s. My personal best was with the "chunky" Callaways and maybe I jumped too far and too fast. Alas, I am probably not ready for AP2s. I made the decision to give the old sticks another shot next week. The AP2s have made my swing better, but the punishment on misses kills my scores. The draws I think I'm hitting on the range becomes hooks into the trees on the course.

I made a the switch tonight. Heading to the range Monday night for a quick session to find a few baseline distances and I hope to try them out a couple rounds this week. I wish I had these posts before I headed out for the holidays. 4 visits to the course in 1 week doesn't happen often.

Another thing to consider: JB is playing Wilson Staff D200 irons - definitely not "players clubs" & not what you'd expect for someone playing off a 6 HC. I think that's my take-home messeage: "Take the forgiveness"

Also: with snow on the ground here, it's depressing reading about other guys golfing. Enjoy it regardless of the score!

2 full rounds:
47/51 -> 98. I had 34 putts (3, 3-putts), hit about 57% fairways, and 3 penalties, but was betrayed by my irons. I wasn't hitting anything consistently and was short or long or left (behind a bunker) all day.

Black Friday
Still under the influence on alcohol from the night before, I got off to an awful start and it didn't get much better.
106 (57/49). I played the toughest part of the course the best. I played bogie golf on the 1/3/5/7 handicap holes on the back 9.

Switching back to my old SGI clubs. I don't like the look at address, but the scores were better. That's the name of the game.

43/42 for a PB tying 85. Didn't do anything spectacular other than limit mistakes off the tee. I had a bunch of 3-putts too, so I know I can go lower. Now to try and reproduce that success!

52/44, it really comes down to more accurate drives and better chipping/putting.

Congrats, Jon, well done!

43/42 for a PB tying 85. Didn't do anything spectacular other than limit mistakes off the tee. I had a bunch of 3-putts too, so I know I can go lower. Now to try and reproduce that success!

Nice job Jon and I'm sure you can go lower too.

48/45 for a 93 this morning. An 8 and a 9 on two par 5's both from errant drives massive slices into the trees and instead of sensible chip out I went for the glory shot. On the 9 instead of chipping I pulled a 4h and am still kicking myself for it. 1 Birdie, 3 pars, 8 bogies, 4 doubles and the nightmare two holes. I'm determined to do this before the end of this 6 weeks off work.

Last edited:
I really enjoy this thread.

You've got it garethw, hang in there!

I really enjoy this thread.

You've got it garethw, hang in there!

Haha thanks, I know its in there I just need to get it out. Not thinking about the score whilst playing helps, so long as I swing within myself and remember I am Helicopter Engineer NOT a golfer then I play better. Just need to get rid of those lapses / daydreams.

Well done! Keep up the good work. Go Buckeyes!

Easiest way to think about it as you're going through your round:

1. No triples - ever. Go into full out damage control mode and take less of a club & play conservative to make sure you don't do worse than double when it starts to go bad.

2. Having establishing that there will be no triples ... all you have to do is MAKE MORE PARs THAN DOUBLES and voila, sub 90 round !

Back