Negative Self-Talk!!!

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
I played in the 1st round of the GSWGA tournament today. There are over 200 women playing in this tournament and I am in the 15th of 22 flights. I have a 24 handicap that was a 17 not that long ago. Unfortunately I am a fair weather golfer so I am not consistent at all.

Today I started my round with 5 straight pars! I was amazed although I admit I have really been practicing hard for this tournament. The women I was playing with accused me (jokingly) of being a sandbagger. I was hitting beautiful drives, hybrids, and pitches. I even putted well. I know I've got game but I can't seem to hold it together.

I kept telling the ladies the true me would come out eventually and did it ever. I ended up with a 42 on the front and a 51 on the back. I even missed a one foot putt after seeing two others miss easy putts and commenting that I would probably miss this one too.

Just venting....wish I could BELIEVE in myself more...

you go girl! the heck with those other ladies! play your game and enjoy!

Thanks Sunday_Hacker! I did enjoy the girls a lot but wish I could quit telling myself and others that it is just a "fluke" when I do well. I truly think that I talk myself right into playing bad!!! I'm going to work on that.

That was a heckuva start KellyBo! I've never gotten five pars in a row.

Me either! It was fun!!!!

you know, if you didn't listen to that husband of yours all the time you would've continued the par streak! nah, at least you put yourself out there and had a go. you should be proud. the one item that we all need to work on the most with our golf game is what's between our ears. if you predict the wheels are going to fall off then i promise you that they will. if you think you're gonna miss that short putt, you will. go out there tomorrow with the attitude that you're gonna hit every shot just like you want to. go get em', make that old hound dog proud!

Kelly, get a song stuck in your head with a slower beat, works for me.

Nice shooting Kelly!!! Get a chance to try out that LW???

LOL - I think I'll go with Wise Men Say....... but I'll have to not picture Gray singing it to the Indian Princess. :love: Bama - hit two shots with the lob wedge. One was a great shot and one was a not so great shot so I'm on the fence about keeping it. I am thinking about going for his new driver or maybe the R9 instead. :D

LOL - I think I'll go with Wise Men Say....... but I'll have to not picture Gray singing it to the Indian Princess. :love: Bama - hit two shots with the lob wedge. One was a great shot and one was a not so great shot so I'm on the fence about keeping it. I am thinking about going for his new driver or maybe the R9 instead. :D

You need the r9 Kelly ...

Something comes to mind as I am reading this thread. It was a story I read in a magazine a long time ago.

There was a player that lowered his handicap by 8 strokes (or something like that) over the course of 2 years... without ever playing a round of golf.
He was a POW during Vietnam and during his 2 year captivity, kept in a cage, he spent every waking moment "playing" his home golf course. In the interview he talked about how he didn't just "hit" the shot. He walked to each ball, took practice swings watching his form, payed attention to his swing plane, etc. He hit good shots and shanks. He said he shot one 79 and a few 95+.

Now this is the awesome part of the story (and what made me think of it)...
When he was released and went home to his home course he shot well. Within a couple of months of playing back in america he had dropped 8 points of his handicap. His take home message. How you visualize your shots mentally has a HUGE part in how you actually preform.

Kelly- Visualize the good shots, see the swing plane and ball flight you want, and then step up to the ball and make it happen!

How you visualize your shots mentally has a HUGE part in how you actually preform.

Kelly- Visualize the good shots, see the swing plane and ball flight you want, and then step up to the ball and make it happen!
Agree 100%! The mental part of golf is so important. Visualizing the shot and thinking about where you want the ball to go (not the hazards or where you dont want the ball to go) is very important.
Instead of thinking to yourself, "dont hit it in the water on the left" or "dont hit it in the trees on the right"; you should try to think, "right down the middle" or "right at that tree" (or other landmark thats way far off on the horizon).
That and simply believing that you can pull off any shot is very important to being successful at this game.

The 42 on the front was great Kellybo! Oh well, about the back 9, you know stuff just happens. The five straight pars are something to be proud of and you showed them ladies.

I choked a bit today and ended up tied for second in my flight which ended up being fourth after regression. I still won a gift card from pgatoursuperstore and just ordered myself a new golf bag (Nike Brassie Cart Bag). We had a blast. I'm out of shape...the 2nd day wore me out! Every time I had a bad hole, I hummed Wise Men to myself (seriously), gave myself a pep talk, and moved on. I ended with two pars despite being extremely fatigued and ready to give up! One of the older women (74 years old) shot her age!!!! Amazing!

I choked a bit today and ended up tied for second in my flight which ended up being fourth after regression. I still won a gift card from pgatoursuperstore and just ordered myself a new golf bag (Nike Brassie Cart Bag). We had a blast. I'm out of shape...the 2nd day wore me out! Every time I had a bad hole, I hummed Wise Men to myself (seriously), gave myself a pep talk, and moved on. I ended with two pars despite being extremely fatigued and ready to give up! One of the older women (74 years old) shot her age!!!! Amazing!

Sounds like you just needed a high protein diet to keep energy levels up. You got Grays 60 degree, how about the R9? I want to thank you Kellybo, I had Wise Men in my head all day, lol. It actually helped. I slowed my back swing way down to match the pace and shot a solid round.

congrats KellyBo!

If you say you will miss a putt, you will. If you think this is only temporary then it will be. You need to be positive in your thinking. Also don't let others get into your head. If you are out to play seriously you need to keep your concentration on your game. If you are just out to have a good time then don't worry about what you do or what you shoot. If you are trying to do well then focus on the shot you are hitting and nothing else. All the way though the round the only thing that is important is the shot you are about to hit. If you let other thoughts into your head it will cause you to play poorly. During any round you only spend a small amount of time hitting your shots, so when you are getting ready to hit those shots concentrate on them and them only.

Great advice Gus. I am way too social when I play golf. I need to get more serious in tournaments. I'm pretty new to the tournament scene so I'm still working on putting my game face on and keeping it there. Now that I think of it, I did well the first five holes because I didn't know the ladies and I had the adrenaline going. Once we started gabbing and getting to know each other a bit, my game plummeted. I will take that as a learning lesson for the club championship that is coming up in June.

Back