Wilson Staff CI9 Irons

Brazz

Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious if anyone has played or reviewed them and how they compare to the other irons out there as far as distance,forgiveness,etc.They are so reasonable that they've peaked my interest.
Thanks.

Were you able to spend much time with them ? Any irons you would compare them to. I've played X-20's, Burner 09's, MX-200's, DI9's,Fusions, Machspeeds, AP1's. Just wondering where you would slot them in relation to some of the others.
Thanks JB

brazz, to me the ci9's would compare the closest to the mx200's out of the irons you've listed. they reminded me of nike's cci's if that helps at all.

Mine are quite a bit older (Ci6), but every club I've ever hit that was Wilson Staff has been on-par with higher end, more expensive stuff.

Thanks for the responses guys...........Are they fairly forgiving..........I have the Machspeeds for my really off weeks but would still like a little forgiveness.

Thanks for the responses guys...........Are they fairly forgiving..........I have the Machspeeds for my really off weeks but would still like a little forgiveness.

they are considered a GI iron but they have a little less offset and thinner lines than most. i think that they are great irons and like floppy said, you can't beat the price for the quality of club you're getting. i also think that they are gorgeous clubs. they're not nearly as forgiving as the machspeeds but you probably already know that. like i said, they reminded me a lot of my cci's.

Thanks..........I found the Mx 200's to be really easy to play I just felt like I would over power the shaft as my tempo can get a little quick at times. I probably should have spent the time to dial them in a little more but my eyes started wondering.I'm curious as to how the FST shafts in the Wilsons will play.How is the ball flight and distance with the CI9's.

Thanks..........I found the Mx 200's to be really easy to play I just felt like I would over power the shaft as my tempo can get a little quick at times. I probably should have spent the time to dial them in a little more but my eyes started wondering.I'm curious as to how the FST shafts in the Wilsons will play.How is the ball flight and distance with the CI9's.

well, i hit everything pretty high in the first place so i never have much of a problem getting anything in the air. distance was about on par with my 22's and the ball flight was a touch lower. they feel great though. not the best iron shafts on the market but they felt just fine. i've really learned a lot more about shafts in the last month and before that i was kind of a noob. it really is all about the shaft, perhaps going through a good shaft fitting might be a good option as well.

I think these are .370 parallel shafts...........I have a set of the FST Pro 125's that I can use in the CI9's......I've heard they compare pretty favorably with KBS Tours so at least I have a few options. I'm just not sure what I'm gonna do after I win the R9's from the Players contest....... so many clubs so little time.:act-up:( A guy can dream right ?)

I think these are .370 parallel shafts...........I have a set of the FST Pro 125's that I can use in the CI9's......I've heard they compare pretty favorably with KBS Tours so at least I have a few options. I'm just not sure what I'm gonna do after I win the R9's from the Players contest....... so many clubs so little time.:act-up:( A guy can dream right ?)

i like your style but i just can't let you get away with the R9's, not yet anyway.

if the fst's are comparible to the R9's then they're a winner. i've felt for a long time that the ci9's might be one of the best looking irons on the market. if i was in the market for new sticks, they'd be in my final 3 for sure.

Thanks for the help T........If the contest goes like the other ones I've entered I may have done you a favor. Joking around with a friend that I'm going to win the raffle or give away usually ends with them hoisting the prize looking dumbfounded as I bite through my tongue.
Enjoy your new R9's.

Thanks for the help T........If the contest goes like the other ones I've entered I may have done you a favor. Joking around with a friend that I'm going to win the raffle or give away usually ends with them hoisting the prize looking dumbfounded as I bite through my tongue.
Enjoy your new R9's.

haha! nah man, these contests are just so unpredictable. i wish you the best of luck. you can't win the R9's b/c then you couldn't get the ci9's, right?

I would have the worlds best "mixed set" !

How do you rate the Ci9 FST shaft when it comes to flex? Is the "reg" on par with the R300 line or do you find they play weaker?

JB, are going to be able to review these? I'd like to hear about them.

JB, are going to be able to review these? I'd like to hear about them.

They were featured in our 1st magazine. Not sure if we will cover them for the website.

Not sure if there was a more lengthy thread with more detailed discussion on these, if so please merge accordingly. I was recently on the hunt for some irons with a little more forgiveness than my current set (Nike VR Pro Combo's) and was throwing out some info in the Equipment Pondering thread specifically about Wilson Staff. Well, Jman saw it and offered to let me borrow a set of Ci9's until my Morgan Cup gear arrives. I promptly took him up on it and today was our first date.

Just looking at these give me confidence since they are a good bit larger than my Nike, but they don't have a real thick topline so they fit my eye very nicely.

So, I proceeded to head out and walk 9 and immediately felt that forgiveness that I have been without for the last 9 months. I missed a few high on the club face and out on the toe, but still was hitting the green with those mishits. Little detail:

Hole 1: par 5 and I am 290 out. Take the 5 iron and catch it a bit heavy but still a nice penetrating trajectory into a 10 MPH wind and I am left with 131 yards out. Still into the wind and grab the 8 iron. Hit it flush and it lands 2 feet left of the cup and ends up 11 feet past the hole.

Hole 2: this was my only real mishit with these today. 185 into the wind and I know that is pushing it with the 5 iron (lowest I have) so I got quick with it and hit it solid but 25 yards left of the green.

Hole 3: 133 into the wind and go with the 8 iron again. Little off the toe and I end up 30 feet right of the flag pin high.

Hole 5: 172 yard par 3 downwind. Pull the 6 iron and left it teed up to high. Nice swing but the ball comes off the top of the club face, good news is that it still reached the front of the green leaving me 60 feet away. Teed up another one for grins and teed it lower, caught it flush, landed just past the flag and trickled to the back of the green.

Hole 7: 130 yard par 3 with right to left wind. Made sure to tee it lower this time and hit it good but right. Ended up pin high on the green 43 feet away. Club felt so good and I know that I could get a better result so I decided to tee up one more and hit a beauty that ends up 5-6 feet right of the flag pin high. Ball mark was about 5 feet under where the ball ended up. This would have been my shot of the day if it was actually part of my scored round.

Hole 8: par 4 and I am 125 out downwind and I know that a full GW is too much so I try to choke down on it. Hit it ok but it was short all the way but dead at the flag. Ended up about 5 yards short of the green.

So, that was each and every shot that I used these for today. They will be in the bag on Saturday for a full 18 in a MGA event.

I really, really enjoyed these today. These can be had for just over $200 right now and I do not know of a better deal out there. They are packed with forgiveness and just fly long and straight. Loft wise, these are 1 club stronger than I am used to so was trying to make that adjustment on the fly and did pretty well. If I did not already have 2 sets of irons headed my name in the next 2-3 months, I would order these in a heartbeat.

Jman - thanks again for letting me use these for a few months. 39 today. Personal best is 78. Perhaps a new PB coming very soon?? I would not doubt it...7/9 GIR. Enough said.

Good post, Cookie. I know exactly what you mean about having that forgiveness back in a set of irons! The Ci9s can be head for a steal right now!

Nice write up there cookie. Do these have the FST shafts?

According to Wilson's website, the stock steel shaft in the Ci9s are the FSTs. Not sure if Jman's were stock or not.

According to Wilson's website, the stock steel shaft in the Ci9s are the FSTs. Not sure if Jman's were stock or not.

That's what I'm wondering JN. I think those FST's are slick.

Yes, these are the stock FST's. 105 gram shaft I think from what I recall.

Yes, these are the stock FST's. 105 gram shaft I think from what I recall.

Nice! Did you see a nice mid/high ball flight?

Nice! Did you see a nice mid/high ball flight?

I think that describes it perfectly. Never once did I see a low shot and not once did I have a shot balloon on me. I know that sounds cut/dry and just simple but it's the truth - nice mid/high trajectory. Ideal is what you would really call it.

Who knows what I will end up thinking about the entire set of J40's or the 979SS's on the way but I could definitely see myself playing these or the 11's if I am not blown away by those others.

These really made golf fun again for me...I need that forgiveness.

Back