Driver help... worth an upgrade?

Bakes

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone, new to the site/forums. I'm sure this question is brought up frequently so I'll apologize in advance. I'm considering purchasing a new driver and am looking for some advice/recommendations.

A little background.. I've played golf on and off for years and like many people I know have said each season "this year I'm really going to get out on the course more.." only to play a handful of times. Well this is the year I'm really going to and play more! :D I typically shoot mid to low 90's. I've always struggled with consistency off the tee, my misses being big high fades with the occasional banana ball. My current driver is a Taylormade R5 Dual Type N (9.5 deg stiff flex). I like the driver alright but feel like maybe I'm missing out on something better in the newer drivers out now.

Is it worth it to upgrade to a newer driver? Reading through a bunch of reviews the R9 460 and Callaway Diablo seemed like good options. Or should I forget the driver and just work on my swing? For now at the end of the day I'd just like to have more confidence off the tee (longer/straighter). I'm not concerned with trying to work the ball or anything at this point.

Thanks!

The swing will always matter more than the equipment, but I would be lying if I said equipment does not matter. Newer technologies bring more forgiveness, hotter faces, adjustability, different weighting etc...

Perhaps a fitting would be the perfect for you. Find out if the shaft is right for your game. It could change your miss, feel, and trajectory in a change. Take a listen to the last interview we did with Tim Gills from Miyazaki golf shafts.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=8731

A good swing improvement will always help, however a new driver might have some new technology that take your game over the top.

As for the new driver, if your going to spend a lot of money, as you undoubtably will i suggest going to a pro and getting it fit for you. Personally i like all of Taylormade's new drivers better then the rest. If you want extreme distance without interchangeability i suggest the R9 460 TP or the new Burner Superfast which is crazy long (I play one). On the other hand if you want to be able to change your club around to fix your shape than one of the new R9's if for you it offers the 460cc head with the MWT and FCT, options not all available on the R9 460. Again, its all a personal choice but those are the best drivers on the market today, and with all the new fitting options your bound to find one that helps your game.

thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

Back