after buying a rangefinger - do you REALLY use it?

anyone used the iphone gps apps? how do they hold up for the $

I use the golfshot iphone app for $20 bucks.
Great features and has all the courses in the area (even the cheap par-3 courses). It keeps (and stores) my scorecard, breaks down stats, and is accurate to +/- 3 yards from marked positions. While it isnt perfect I rarely need to be more accurate than that. If I hit every 7 iron 160 on the nose it might make a difference but that isnt the case for me. My iron's +/- distance is greater than the GPS +/- distance.

Overall, for $20 bucks, I don't think you can beat it. It's a little taxing on the battery but if you do things the right way I can get through a round and only use 25% of my battery.

I think it is just a preference, I dont see one beingbetter than the other. I will say I was happy Bama had his Bushnell on the Ga golf outting. It was a range finder and it worked just fine.

Keep in mind that with many of the newer GPS units, you can move a cursor or touch part of a screen to get closer pin placements.

I realize that, but that is only effective if you can actually see where the hole is on the green. In the case of an elevated green where you can't see much of the surface, you are still guessing with only the hole info supplied by the course (pin sheet, etc.). As I said, most serious golfers that I've observed use lasers because they are simply more accurate and more versatile. I've watched caddies at PGA Tour events walking the course shooting everything in sight with a laser, then jotting down notes in their player's yardage book. I've never seen one use a GPS. I'm not trying to say that there is anything wrong with a GPS if that's what you want to use, but given my choice, I'll take the laser. One battery lasts an entire season, not just a couple of rounds (I'm still working on the battery I put in at the start of the 2009 season). I can take a sighting on any object on the golf course, not just what is programmed into the unit, or what is displayed in the graphics of the newer ones. I'm not tied to a computer or to periodic updates to keep current.

And no matter what anyone says, it is just as fast as a GPS. I don't wait until it's my turn to play before I get my distance info. Whenever possible, I've already done that and picked my club while others are playing. I can get sightings on 2 or 3 objects in under 30 seconds, figure out my shot plan and be ready to execute it. The only real downside to a laser is that it doesn't seem as cool and high tech as most people seem to be hung up on any more. In reality, a good laser has a built in computer that is just as technologically sophisticated as a GPS. It just doesn't have a cool display screen to show it off.

I realize that, but that is only effective if you can actually see where the hole is on the green. In the case of an elevated green where you can't see much of the surface, you are still guessing with only the hole info supplied by the course (pin sheet, etc.). As I said, most serious golfers that I've observed use lasers because they are simply more accurate and more versatile. I've watched caddies at PGA Tour events walking the course shooting everything in sight with a laser, then jotting down notes in their player's yardage book. I've never seen one use a GPS. I'm not trying to say that there is anything wrong with a GPS if that's what you want to use, but given my choice, I'll take the laser. One battery lasts an entire season, not just a couple of rounds (I'm still working on the battery I put in at the start of the 2009 season). I can take a sighting on any object on the golf course, not just what is programmed into the unit, or what is displayed in the graphics of the newer ones. I'm not tied to a computer or to periodic updates to keep current.

And no matter what anyone says, it is just as fast as a GPS. I don't wait until it's my turn to play before I get my distance info. Whenever possible, I've already done that and picked my club while others are playing. I can get sightings on 2 or 3 objects in under 30 seconds, figure out my shot plan and be ready to execute it. The only real downside to a laser is that it doesn't seem as cool and high tech as most people seem to be hung up on any more. In reality, a good laser has a built in computer that is just as technologically sophisticated as a GPS. It just doesn't have a cool display screen to show it off.

Most tour pros need distance to be exact to the yard. They also do not need to worry about fast play. I have both, use both, love both, but there is no way that a laser that someone has to pick up, aim, etc... is as fast as glancing down.

As for elevation changes, the same can be said about the laser. You may get exact distance to the pin, but you would have no idea how much room long there is or anything else, whereas on a GPS, you have all of that info at your disposal.

Most tour pros need distance to be exact to the yard. They also do not need to worry about fast play. I have both, use both, love both, but there is no way that a laser that someone has to pick up, aim, etc... is as fast as glancing down.

We are talking irrelevancies here. I will be ready to play just as fast as you are. Guaranteed. I can't remember the last time it took me more than 30 seconds to play a shot, from gauging distance to hitting the ball.

As for elevation changes, the same can be said about the laser. You may get exact distance to the pin, but you would have no idea how much room long there is or anything else, whereas on a GPS, you have all of that info at your disposal.

How do you figure this? I have the same pin sheet or flag color that you have to tell me where the hole is cut that day. Front pin I shade long, back pin I shade short. But I also have an exact number to the flagstick to put into any calculation that I need for elevation or wind. I've said many times that I have and use both a laser and a GPS.

All I say is that if I was restricted to only one, it would be the laser because it is simply a more flexible tool, completely independent of anything but itself.

All I say is that if I was restricted to only one, it would be the laser because it is simply a more flexible tool, completely independent of anything but itself.

And that is where we disagree. I think the GPS is far more flexible because it can be used on every shot on the course (mine can atleast) and a laser cannot be used for many doglegs or blind shots that happen at the courses here once or twice around.

As for 30 secs a shot, most at the FL outing would tell you that is crazy long compared to me...hehe

We got our Bushnell Yardage Pro XGC GPS for Christmas and have been using it for the last couple rounds. Actually forgot we had our first couple times out. I can't believe I waited so long to get one. Darn slick piece of equipment. Played with a guy that had the Bushnell V2 laser and he did wield it kind of slowly. Of course he was a little liquored up. The color of the flag at our club lets you know front, middle, or back, so you have an idea within a couple yards. When he would laser a flag, we would usually have a two to five yard difference between his number and the GPS based on shape, or whether the flag was on the left or right side, of the green. No doubt the laser is more accurate and I could see the merit in shooting the distances from obstacles and hazards on the course. That being said, as great a golfer as a I am, hehehe, I'm don't hit the ball so well I can make a swing that can hit the ball 133 or 135, or 166 or 169. From 100 in I just look at GPS, then the flag, and fire away. Any shots I'm lucky enough to hit really close are feel shots for me, anyway.

It's a fun thing to have, and for what Mrs. Esox paid, it was well worth it.

Kevin

I have had a Leupold Gx-1 for a year now and use it every round. It is great for new courses to check how far it is to a trap or the tree at the corner of a dogleg, or over a pond, etc. Plus, you don't have to download or pay a fee to some company for each course you play. On my home course it seems like i use it a lot between 175 and 100 yards. Because if your at the 150 marker and the pin is short it might really play 135 which is a different club, or if the pin is deep it might play 165, which is a different club. So at 150, you could have three different options on clubs. I have no idea which is faster, never had a GPS.

I used my Rangefinger a bunch today. Worked ok untill the ape on number 7 took exception.

One thing about having a rangefinder that would be cool is the ability to laser yardage markers on the range. Knowing the exact distances of your targets makes for a good practice session.

Kevin

My rangerfinder does not slow me down at all. Just aim it and you have the exact yardage to the target. Takes 10 seconds.

I absolutely love my Bushnell XGC Pro GPS.

And that is where we disagree. I think the GPS is far more flexible because it can be used on every shot on the course (mine can atleast) and a laser cannot be used for many doglegs or blind shots that happen at the courses here once or twice around.

As for 30 secs a shot, most at the FL outing would tell you that is crazy long compared to me...hehe

I would still be thinking about what to hit and how bad I might hit that club and turn around to find JB had already hit, was in the fairway and standing off to the side tapping his foot .... LOL jk about the last part.

And in regards to slow play, I think that just comes with it being a new toy. Im sure as you get used to it and learn it, it wont slow you down. But Id never even used one before so it was new to me.

One thing about having a rangefinder that would be cool is the ability to laser yardage markers on the range. Knowing the exact distances of your targets makes for a good practice session.

Kevin

i was thinking that too - the closest range to my house, and the one i use most often for that simple fact - has some crappy flags lol and part of the range is uphill hehe.

thanks all for the insight! truly great discussion - i will try the golfshot gps on my phone see how it works my next few rounds - then i might look at a laser rangefinder or a golf gps unit. but i think a combo laser rangefinder -with my iphone as backup in case its a bad dogleg should work.

I carry a laser and GPS, never use the laser. Well except the end of that one police chase. 379 yards away, Couldnt remember the effective range of a 10mm.

My wife got me the Bushnell 1500 Tournament Edition laser rangefinder as a Christmas gift in 2008. I absolutely love it. It works as advertised:

a) Speeds up play
b) Keeps me from pulling the wrong club (well, one time I did pull and hit my 6 iron when I meant to hit a 9, but that's another story)

Highly recommended.

Long time no see all!
got a question.. a friend & I was havin a discussion on this same subject. Can ya use the rangefinder on sandtraps, tress & such to get readings?

Last edited:
You sure can.

Long time no see all!
got a question.. a friend & I was havin a discussion on this same subject. Can ya use the rangefinder on sandtraps, tress & such to get readings?

That's one of its best uses. Great for determining layup and carry yardages for most problem areas.

Back