ProV1xSeeker

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new driver that will be hard to replace with another driver and hoping for it to be a keeper for a couple years. I seem to replace drivers after a year and I have heard from other people on this forum saying that the technology in drivers has gone as far as it can. Unfortunately where I live there aren't any places to get fitted or even demo clubs unless I drive an hour and a half to the nearest golf galaxy. My last 5 drivers have been:
-Titleist 983K (8.5 loft stock stiff flex)
-Taylormade R7 Draw (9.5 stock stiff flex)
-Nike SQ Sumo 5000 (8.5 aldila proto stiff flex)
-Titleist 907 D2 (9.5 loft stock stiff flex)
-Nike SQ dymo (9.5 loft stock stiff flex)

Looking at my past drivers, the longest I have used out of the 5 drivers is the SQ Sumo 5000 and I like the dymo which is what I'm gaming right now but the head broke and Nike won't cover it. I go with off the shelf clubs with the stock shafts because I don't have a golf shop near me so I can't really get my shaft switched and I don't usually dole out the big money for shafts. I'm a college student so I don't have alot of money accessible to me, I did win my fantasy football league and won $250. Saved up some money also. I was looking at these drivers:
-Titleist 909 D2 8.5 Stiff flex (heard it's WAY more forgiving than the 907 D2)

-Taylormade R9 SuperTri 8.5 Stiff flex (this club looks like it's a straight monster and the MWT/FCT lets me change my driver/shaft without needing a golf shop to do so.)

-Taylormade R9 8.5/9.5 Stiff flex (Cheaper than the SuperTri with the same technology, only thing making me second guess it is the 420cc head)

So which club do you guys think I should go with, based on my past drivers? I'm torn between these 3 and looking to buy them used online.

Thanks for helping a guy that has no way to get fit...........:beat-up:

if cost is a issue r9 if cost is not an issue r9st

Cost isn't an issue but seeing if the SuperTri's 460cc head is worth the extra cash. $400 is alot and then I heard bad things about the stock shaft(motore 60) any supertri users give me some feedback on the stock shaft?

Fujikura makes a great shaft, however if you are gonna spend that kind of money i suggest getting it fit to you or getting a TP and having a shaft option fit to you

Ive only hit the SuperTri with a UST Attas in it and it was bad a$$!! Loved it.

They make the R9 460 which is equivalent to the Supertri. Only difference is NO WEIGHTS. If your used to playing off-the-rack drivers anyhow, this shouldnt be an issue. The FCT should suffice any adjustments that you might want to tweak. Besides, you can get a TP version of the R9 460 with a choice about 8 quality shaft models (Fubuki, Motore F1 65-75-85, Matrix Xcon 5 or HD6, Aldila, etc). The TP model R9 460 is the same cost as the regular Supertri. From the looks of the lofts you chose for the other drivers, I would assume you hit the ball somewhat high. Unless your looking to make it rain the next time out on the course. That Supertri promotes a higher initial launch by itself. I hit it with a Motore F1 65 Xstiff shaft ( low - mid traj) and achieved a 16* launch angle. Really hard to keep the ball down with that club, unless your hitting stingers all day. Funny, even with that high launch angle, the descent was around 15.5 which i would say is not bad. Any more ?'s, just ask. Plenty of knowledgable people hear.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new driver that will be hard to replace with another driver and hoping for it to be a keeper for a couple years. I seem to replace drivers after a year and I have heard from other people on this forum saying that the technology in drivers has gone as far as it can. Unfortunately where I live there aren't any places to get fitted or even demo clubs unless I drive an hour and a half to the nearest golf galaxy. My last 5 drivers have been:
-Titleist 983K (8.5 loft stock stiff flex)
-Taylormade R7 Draw (9.5 stock stiff flex)
-Nike SQ Sumo 5000 (8.5 aldila proto stiff flex)
-Titleist 907 D2 (9.5 loft stock stiff flex)
-Nike SQ dymo (9.5 loft stock stiff flex)

Looking at my past drivers, the longest I have used out of the 5 drivers is the SQ Sumo 5000 and I like the dymo which is what I'm gaming right now but the head broke and Nike won't cover it. I go with off the shelf clubs with the stock shafts because I don't have a golf shop near me so I can't really get my shaft switched and I don't usually dole out the big money for shafts. I'm a college student so I don't have alot of money accessible to me, I did win my fantasy football league and won $250. Saved up some money also. I was looking at these drivers:
-Titleist 909 D2 8.5 Stiff flex (heard it's WAY more forgiving than the 907 D2)

-Taylormade R9 SuperTri 8.5 Stiff flex (this club looks like it's a straight monster and the MWT/FCT lets me change my driver/shaft without needing a golf shop to do so.)

-Taylormade R9 8.5/9.5 Stiff flex (Cheaper than the SuperTri with the same technology, only thing making me second guess it is the 420cc head)

So which club do you guys think I should go with, based on my past drivers? I'm torn between these 3 and looking to buy them used online.

Thanks for helping a guy that has no way to get fit...........:beat-up:

Can I ask why you would want the SuperTri in such a low loft when it is high spinning head? I also do not believe that driver tech is completely maxed out. People have been saying that for 3 years and yet the companies continue to amaze me with weight movement, adjustability, and more forgiveness.

I would say NEVER buy a driver that has not been fit for your game.

Cost isn't an issue but seeing if the SuperTri's 460cc head is worth the extra cash. $400 is alot and then I heard bad things about the stock shaft(motore 60) any supertri users give me some feedback on the stock shaft?

I played the original R9 for close to 18 months and 14 of it was with the stock Motore. It was quite good for my game. I actually like the Motore F1 that is in the SuperTri as well. A little stiff for my liking, but a darn good shaft.

If it were me, and it isnt, I would not spend close anything until I have had a chance to hit them. Depending where you are in TX, I am sure I could get in touch with TM and find out if there was an authorized dealer around. Sometimes its a small local club that people did not know even carried equipment.

I want to get the SuperTri because it got great reviews online and owners of the supertri seem to love it. I know it's a high spin/high launch driver, so is the dymo but I like it's flight(dymo is high launch and mid spin) I figured I'd buy the supertri and if it flew too high then I can just buy a low launch/low spin shaft such as the fubuki or the matrix HD6, that's what's so great about the R9 series you can swap out shafts at an ease. My friend is willing to sell me his 8.5 loft stiff flex supertri for $320 which he's only had for a week.(He just can't take out his 905R) I was looking at the R9 before he wanted to get rid of his supertri, I don't want the R9 460 because if I do buy an R9 series driver I want to get it with all the perks(FCT+MWT). Also I know if you open the face on the supertri, it decreases 1 loft. So if the ball launches too high with the stock shaft and neutral face settings, I can swap out an aftermarket low spinning/low launch shaft and open the face up 1 degree in loft so it can play as a 7.5 lofted driver. As of now I either want to get the supertri or the original R9 but the 420cc head, I don't know if I will be comfortable because I've been playing 460cc heads for awhile now.

Can I ask why you would want the SuperTri in such a low loft when it is high spinning head? I also do not believe that driver tech is completely maxed out. People have been saying that for 3 years and yet the companies continue to amaze me with weight movement, adjustability, and more forgiveness.

I would say NEVER buy a driver that has not been fit for your game.

I played the original R9 for close to 18 months and 14 of it was with the stock Motore. It was quite good for my game. I actually like the Motore F1 that is in the SuperTri as well. A little stiff for my liking, but a darn good shaft.

If it were me, and it isnt, I would not spend close anything until I have had a chance to hit them. Depending where you are in TX, I am sure I could get in touch with TM and find out if there was an authorized dealer around. Sometimes its a small local club that people did not know even carried equipment.

Well as an owner of the Supertri and the original R9, can you compare the 2? Any information will be helpful, since I do a ton of research before I purchase a club.

Well as an owner of the Supertri and the original R9, can you compare the 2? Any information will be helpful, since I do a ton of research before I purchase a club.

I like both a lot. I am not a big proponent in really low lofted drivers because many amateurs struggle far too much with them and ball flight is better controlled with the shaft anyway. The SuperTri is a little longer off the tee for me. That is the main difference. I dont play the stock shaft in either one. I play a Miyazaki shaft.

If your friend has the SuperTri, then it should be no problem to hit it and find out if it is working for you. That is the best way.

I like both a lot. I am not a big proponent in really low lofted drivers because many amateurs struggle far too much with them and ball flight is better controlled with the shaft anyway. The SuperTri is a little longer off the tee for me. That is the main difference. I dont play the stock shaft in either one. I play a Miyazaki shaft.

If your friend has the SuperTri, then it should be no problem to hit it and find out if it is working for you. That is the best way.

Yeah the only problem with that is, my friend lives in maryland. We stay in touch alot and he told me about his Supertri last night over the phone. :act-up:

Yeah the only problem with that is, my friend lives in maryland. We stay in touch alot and he told me about his Supertri last night over the phone. :act-up:

Then I am not sure I can help. They are both great drivers, but again, I would never buy a club without trying it first.

Also another question, in terms of launch and spin. Does the Supertri similar to the original R9 or the R9 460? I'm asking this because I have a golf digest issue The Hot List and it shows the launch and spin of the 460 and original R9 so I can have some kind of idea how the spin/launch characteristics are of the supertri.

I dont know, I did not put it on our monitor with the stock shaft.

Then I am not sure I can help. They are both great drivers, but again, I would never buy a club without trying it first.

Trust me you've helped alot, the more information I can get. The better decision I make. Thanks

Dude, it sounds like you do a "ton of research" on clubs before purchasing. Why not include the 1.5 hour trip to the galaxy in your research time and hit every frickin driver they have available on the monitor? That is the "best research" and, quite frankly, someone else's experience with a driver is nice, but of limited use because everyone has different swings, body types, etc.

Remember all the buzz about the Ping G15? It is a great club for many people. I had a friend purchase it and it had done wonders for his game. On my last driver purchase, that was my number 1 pick based on internet research alone. When I hit it on the monitor, however, it was not the club for me. In fact, many of the clubs on "my list" were not the clubs for me. Incidentally, the SuperTri gave me back the best numbers. On many of the other drivers, my spin rate was dipping as low as the 1800s. I don't quite swing like Bubba Watson, so I needed a driver that increased my spin rate. The SuperTri gets me to an ideal spin rate. Point of the story... use your research time efficiently AND effectively: go hit the actual clubs on a monitor. You will be glad you did, bud.

Dude, it sounds like you do a "ton of research" on clubs before purchasing. Why not include the 1.5 hour trip to the galaxy in your research time and hit every frickin driver they have available on the monitor? That is the "best research" and, quite frankly, someone else's experience with a driver is nice, but of limited use because everyone has different swings, body types, etc.

Remember all the buzz about the Ping G15? It is a great club for many people. I had a friend purchase it and it had done wonders for his game. On my last driver purchase, that was my number 1 pick based on internet research alone. When I hit it on the monitor, however, it was not the club for me. In fact, many of the clubs on "my list" were not the clubs for me. Incidentally, the SuperTri gave me back the best numbers. On many of the other drivers, my spin rate was dipping as low as the 1800s. I don't quite swing like Bubba Watson, so I needed a driver that increased my spin rate. The SuperTri gets me to an ideal spin rate. Point of the story... use your research time efficiently AND effectively: go hit the actual clubs on a monitor. You will be glad you did, bud.

The voice of reason. This is exactly why we did the driver shoot out.

Yeah. The Driver Shoot out was awesome and instrumental in helping me pick out the drivers that I wanted to try out. Prov1, you should take a look at those results and use it as a catalyst to actually test-drive those clubs. I look forward to hearing what works best for you... give us an update when you make your choice.

Yeah after reading your post, sometime this week i'll be taking a drive to golf galaxy. I'm going to check out the driver shootout page first and do what you did and decide which drivers to try out. Thanks again and i'll update this thread when I do get to try the clubs.

Glad to hear that, ProV1. Let us know your results, etc.

Yeah after reading your post, sometime this week i'll be taking a drive to golf galaxy. I'm going to check out the driver shootout page first and do what you did and decide which drivers to try out. Thanks again and i'll update this thread when I do get to try the clubs.

Driver Dilemma

I compared the Supertri to my R9 460 and the 460 fit my game better. The Supertri was longer, but I had better numbers with the 460.

Hey, finally got a chance to go try out the supertri and R9 original at a local shop that I didn't know existed until a golf buddy told me about it. No launch monitor so I can't give you guys any numbers. It had an outdoor range though.
-Original R9
This club is a really solid club, I hit it with a 9.5 loft with a stock stiff flex. The sound was sweet and the 420cc head wasn't as bad as I thought, I can see why people love this club so much. I love how you can decrease and increase the loft, only bad thing about this club is on off center hits I lost some distance. I'm not used the triangle head so that was a little bit off on the eye, I fiddled with the weights for a bit and found a perfect fit for me with the MWT/FCT.

The guy handed me the R9 supertri next but I was already in love with the R9.
-R9 supertri
When I had it held at address I loved the look of it, all black and the triangle shape I couldn't see it anymore because supertri has a sleeker design. Bigger head definitely gave me more confidence that it was a bomber. With the Supertri I figured I'd go 9.5 with a stiff flex. Immediately after 4 shots, it was launching too high for me. The next shot I swung a little slower and it lowered the launch but with a driver I just want to pound it and give it all my SS can give. So the guy handed me a 8.5 lofted supertri with a stiff flex, of course that lowered my launch but I could tell it didn't get a lot of roll after carry. So like I was told on here, I was getting a lot of spin from the club. The rep ran inside and put in 2-8 grams on heel and toe, and put a 2 gram weight in the center. He told me to swing hard this time, and I absolutely bombed it. Got a lot of roll after carry and there were no yardage markers but it hit the back of the range net. He told me when I take it to the course and if I'm unhappy with launch and spin then I can lower my launch by opening the face a degree and I can lower my spin and launch even more with a different shaft. This is a small shop so they don't carry any aftermarket shafts so it has to be ordered. He said if I come in tomorrow he can bring in his stiff flex shaft fubuki 73g and his proforce V2 stiff flex shaft. I would like a heavier shaft to try but I don't mind the 60g stock motore, so tomorrow I'll walk out with an order placed for the supetri(small shop so you have to order and wait a couple weeks:angry:)

So I will update this thread again tomorrow but so far it looks like the supertri will get the nod even if I don't like the aftermarket shafts

Nice update, ProV1. Glad to hear that trying the different clubs and configurations is working out. I open the face 1 degree also, and I believe JB does as well. Looking forward to how the other shafts workout for you.

Nice update, ProV1. Glad to hear that trying the different clubs and configurations is working out. I open the face 1 degree also, and I believe JB does as well. Looking forward to how the other shafts workout for you.

Im actually the other way. I dont open or close. I use it right at the NU setting.

Also I forgot to add, I tried the Superdeep also. Great club and I didn't have to fiddle around with anything, just hit it with a stock stiff flex. I would have definitely bought the superdeep right then and there but 600 bucks is ALOT for a golf club. Then I tried the supertri and when the rep put in the 2-8gram weights on the heel and toe, then put in the 2 gram in the center. It was really similar in terms of spin and launch of a 9.5 stiff flex superdeep. So maybe a supertri with heavier weights on the heel and toe is the poor man's superdeep? The rep told me the heavier weight you put on the heel and toe, the more spin you take off of it. Anyone else try this? I loved how the spin was lowered after he changed the weights for me.

Back