The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

I've not heard that before. I'm used to replacement and new construction. However that could be a regional term used, or something that is vendor specific.
yeah, I am just using the teams as spoken to me. The window we purchased, the Marvin Ultimate Aluminum Clad is used in new construction a lot.

The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

I'm quite familiar with Marvin it's one of three brands I install on most of my projects. Terminology is different from salesman to salesman. Hopefully you find excellent quality from these. Kolbe and Kolbe, and Anderson are the other brands I typically use. But like anything else there is a lower pricepoint entry window available.

I'm quite familiar with Marvin it's one of three brands I install on most of my projects. Terminology is different from salesman to salesman. Hopefully you find excellent quality from these. Kolbe and Kolbe, and Anderson are the other brands I typically use. But like anything else there is a lower pricepoint entry window available.

Yes, we were only looking at windows we felt were going to last. We like the look of the Marvin the most, Loewen makes a beautiful window but for our openings they were going to be expensive and lead time was crazy. I did look at K and K a bit online and they look like really good looking windows as well, not a very strong presence in our market.

One salesman tried to really push the new window James Hardie is making, Beechworth. It is fiberglass clad wood and seems like a dynamite window for the price but couldn't buy it as they have only been making windows for two years.

I quoted your post in my post above...not sure what happened? Have fun today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had the home inspection for our forever house today. No major issues found, and only one we want the seller to remediate - a bee hive was found in the attic and that is a "gots to go" type of situation. A few other minor issues found but things that either we can fix or it's not big enough to bog down the process. Can't see another hurdle between us and settlement on 12/8!

Just had the home inspection for our forever house today. No major issues found, and only one we want the seller to remediate - a bee hive was found in the attic and that is a "gots to go" type of situation. A few other minor issues found but things that either we can fix or it's not big enough to bog down the process. Can't see another hurdle between us and settlement on 12/8!
This is great news!

Radon report came back at 2.9 pCi/L. Talking to two different realtors (including my mom whose been in the business for nearly 40 years) they were not concerned with that number. But the EPA recommends fixing it if it is above 2. Knowing my kids will be sleeping down there every night for the next 15-20 years I cannot imagine my mom would be anything but cautious, and remediation will only take it down to 2. Anyone else have opinions on that?

It's a naturally occurring gas, remediation will help bring it down but not really eliminate it.

It's not really much of an issue in the part of Florida I'm in. Usually though, we would tell people to just keep the house ventilated and open a window, but I'm not sure you can do much of that in a basement

Radon report came back at 2.9 pCi/L. Talking to two different realtors (including my mom whose been in the business for nearly 40 years) they were not concerned with that number. But the EPA recommends fixing it if it is above 2. Knowing my kids will be sleeping down there every night for the next 15-20 years I cannot imagine my mom would be anything but cautious, and remediation will only take it down to 2. Anyone else have opinions on that?

Here in FL the limit is 4, locally we certainly wouldn't remediate for that.

Another thing to consider, if the home was vacant, the levels will likely come down once you are moved in.

Here in FL the limit is 4, locally we certainly wouldn't remediate for that.

Another thing to consider, if the home was vacant, the levels will likely come down once you are moved in.

I would imagine it's more a concern in your area than mine. I think in the 20yrs my parents have been doing this, they've had 3 people ever do a radon test and they were always in middle of nowhere places

I would imagine it's more a concern in your area than mine. I think in the 20yrs my parents have been doing this, they've had 3 people ever do a radon test and they were always in middle of nowhere places

I would have thought Carrollwood would have a good bit, it's common in the neighborhoods with big oaks, i bet my house has elevated levels.

I would have thought Carrollwood would have a good bit, it's common in the neighborhoods with big oaks, i bet my house has elevated levels.

I don't recall it being an issue to be honest.

I know it's common in the DC area to get the tests, and apparently here in MI as well.

Honestly...part of this Radon business is a scam. People spend a ton of money on a piece of mind really. We see it all over the DC metropolitan area.

Honestly...part of this Radon business is a scam. People spend a ton of money on a piece of mind really. We see it all over the DC metropolitan area.

I kinda feel the same way, as far as I understand it, there is virtually no real science behind the epa limits, it was an arbitrary number assigned during the Reagan administration.

Welp just went under contract over the weekend. Close in March. Best part is I can walk to the golf course!

1002678_10102514701180541_1010344914699370033_n.jpg

Welp just went under contract over the weekend. Close in March. Best part is I can walk to the golf course!

1002678_10102514701180541_1010344914699370033_n.jpg
Congrats Matt

nice congrats!

Congrats Matt

Congrats man did you end up going with the 12 oaks community ?

We did. Have to come and play sometime. They do free guest events from time to time.

How's your place coming along?

We did. Have to come and play sometime. They do free guest events from time to time.

How's your place coming along?
Very nice fantastic golf course and very nice community .

Our place is coming along. We closed the middle of October so about two weeks ahead of schedule. House is coming together still have a bunch to put away but trying to do it room by room a little at a time.

So long overdue update. We settled on the house on 12/8 and moved on the 13th. Spent the next two weeks scrambling to get the house ready to host Christmas and the week after that recovering from Christmas and starting to get the house ready for every day life. I haven't been as exhausted as I have been over the last month, and there's still a lot left to do.

1jGAMl3.jpg

Needless to say, the biggest feature of this house gets daily use by the kids!

5ZHn1sy.jpg

And as of this weekend I finally got the garage cleared out so I can get my swings in now that winter has arrived in full force.

Bi9W210.jpg

Back