2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get my metabolism up, what is the best way to get this started?

I need to get my metabolism up, what is the best way to get this started?
Eat less more often and exercises that stimulate the central nervous system. i.e. heavy squats and deadlifts

What are you looking to do Freddie? Lose some pounds?

Interval training was a great way for me to get the most out of my workouts. Then just eat less/smarter without going crazy about it.

Would you recommend anything in particular as far as food goes?
Eat less more often and exercises that stimulate the central nervous system. i.e. heavy squats and deadlifts

Yeah, I want to lose some pounds, especially around the mid section
What are you looking to do Freddie? Lose some pounds?

Interval training was a great way for me to get the most out of my workouts. Then just eat less/smarter without going crazy about it.

Had to miss Thursday for some other things, but got in a session yesterday. Squat/BP/Rows.

Moved to the incline in the power rack and it was definitely more comfortable and I didn't get freaked out about not having a spotter. Missed some reps on rows, but they are getting heavy and it happens.

Squats beat me up more than normal. Hamstrings on the inner part of my legs are a wee bit tender today.
Keep up the gainz Hawkster.

I am a believer that anything in good moderation is ok. But then again I have never been in a situation to have to watch what I eat... the common recommendation is simple carbs prior to workout and protein after. Then supplement your day (like every 3 hrs) with calories and plenty of water throughout the day to trick your body into getting rid of the excess calories stored in your body (the extra pounds)

Good rule of thumb. Take your ideal body weight. Multiply by 11. That's your caloric intake daily. Eat lean proteins. Whole foods like rice and potatoes. Eat Fruits and veggies. Sleep more. Exercise with compound lifts. Avoid isolation lifts.

Yeah, I want to lose some pounds, especially around the mid section

I don't believe that you have to do anything crazy. You'll hear all sorts of magic formulas, but the bottom line is you need to run a calorie defecit.

Drop you intake to about 20% lower than your daily expenditure. Intervals and some weightlifting.Then just stick with it for long term. Try to lose 1-2lbs a week. I can help with your calorie goals if you'd like.

I don't believe that you have to do anything crazy. You'll hear all sorts of magic formulas, but the bottom line is you need to run a calorie defecit.

Drop you intake to about 20% lower than your daily expenditure. Intervals and some weightlifting.Then just stick with it for long term. Try to lose 1-2lbs a week. I can help with your calorie goals if you'd like.
It's a very common theme... eat less calories than you burn... I don't wholeheartedly agree with it as a good fit for everyone. Yes it work and you will lose pounds. But the weight lost more often than not is muscle mass not pure fat.
all too often people are worried about the pounds when more often than not they should worry about the excess fat (inches around the waist).
Quickest way to lost fat is to build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so while the waist could shrink, weight may not drop that much.

And Freddie, if your goal is to lose inches around the waist, I am afraid there is no quick way to do it right... it requires a long term commitment and the waist is typically the last place you see results

one last thing. I believe abs should be treated like every other muscle group in your body. give them a separate day like chest or arms or legs. Give them a thorough workout and rest them like you do every other part of your body. Key is to build the muscle and the muscle will help consume the fat.

More muscle will cause the body to produce and consume more energy causing higher metabolic state. See how we came to square one :)

Blu, hawk and KC...Thank you. the three of you have sparked some thoughts in my head. This is long term, not a quick fix.

Blu, hawk and KC...Thank you. the three of you have sparked some thoughts in my head. This is long term, not a quick fix.
I kind of think that the process is fun. Full discloser, I am not in "weight loss" mode. But Hawk has gone through this journey.

It's a very common theme... eat less calories than you burn... I don't wholeheartedly agree with it as a good fit for everyone. Yes it work and you will lose pounds. But the weight lost more often than not is muscle mass not pure fat.
all too often people are worried about the pounds when more often than not they should worry about the excess fat (inches around the waist).
Quickest way to lost fat is to build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so while the waist could shrink, weight may not drop that much.

And Freddie, if your goal is to lose inches around the waist, I am afraid there is no quick way to do it right... it requires a long term commitment and the waist is typically the last place you see results

one last thing. I believe abs should be treated like every other muscle group in your body. give them a separate day like chest or arms or legs. Give them a thorough workout and rest them like you do every other part of your body. Key is to build the muscle and the muscle will help consume the fat.

More muscle will cause the body to produce and consume more energy causing higher metabolic state. See how we came to square one :)

Depending on how much you're looking to lose muscle loss is inevitable. I worked to mimimize that via resistance training and higher protein intake, but it happens. I think people mix up their goals too much and end up not accomplishing anything. The prototypical "lose weight/build muscle" myth.

Yeah, there is a reason for phrase "a six pack is made in the kitchen". If you want to really drop the weight and keep some semblance of muscles, I would recommend functional lifts and lots of bodyweight "ups". Sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, dips "-ups". :)

The best thing that has worked for me - not that I've paid attention to it lately - has been snacking more, but making sure my food intake has been pretty evenly split between protein, fat, and carbs. I did a nutrition program last year, and that worked really well. Actually increased calorie intake, and I never found myself hungry.

Nuts and beef jerky are really good midday snacks, and a salad with grilled chicken or turkey and some kidney beans/chickpeas/black beans makes for a filling lunch.

Loving this nutrition talk this morning. I kicked off a program yesterday and my goal is to stick to it. I want to get back to pre-daughter physique form. Yes I just said that, because that is when my life became sedentary and less active in the gym.

Time to bring it.

Good session last night. Deloaded the squats so I could focus on form. Bench predsing went well. Good pullups. I did some assisted reps for jesus and then glute raises.

When squatting, I am having a nightmare of a time getting my elbows high, thumb over the bar, flat wrists, and a narrow grip.

Almost looks like you aren't even gripping the bar there.

What's the downside of the last part? I can't remember where (maybe SS book) I read it, but isn't there some leeway there to account for different levels of flexibility. You're obviously just too yoked.

Hawkster

In SS, Rip speaks about how to properly grip the bar for squats. Watch this long video when you want to take a nap

Also, I would like it entered into record on this day, 11/11/2014, Hawk used "yoked" correctly. He is now a full blooded meathead

I have finally arrived.

Maybe it wasn't SS where I read that. Rip sure knows how to beat things to death lol. Have you ever read any of his Q&A? He is a massive jerk. Obviously very smart though and he's helped me in a big way with a few things.

I was on a great path .. But now with the holidays coming/ kids concerts / plays / shopping ..etc .. and the super cold weather this week fast approaching . I kinda lost my drive to continue with golfer strength building . It is weird, when you have so much on your plate the things change so fast . Was on a very good routine , now that it is disrupted it really threw it out of wack . Went from 30 minutes down to a hurried 5 with my at home exercises .

Here goes to hoping that I can get back to my goal after the New Year. Another "membership" on hold for a while

Don't fall victim to excuses. We are all busy. Stick with it MM.

Hawk .. A few months ago I had trouble even taking a slow motion swing with this weighted club ( approved by pro) . Just yesterday , I could literally take full swings and hit a real ball . I'm proving to myself , no matter at what age that I can get stronger and gain speed

I have finally arrived.

Maybe it wasn't SS where I read that. Rip sure knows how to beat things to death lol. Have you ever read any of his Q&A? He is a massive jerk. Obviously very smart though and he's helped me in a big way with a few things.
He gets sarcastic. I laugh. He cares that people do things right. But he also loves proving how right he is, and by extension, how wrong others are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back