Ping i15 vs Cleveland CG7 BP Tour

scotty

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm purchasing a new set of irons. What do you prefer the Ping i15 or CG7 BP Tour and why?

They are both good irons. I prefer the BP Tours. To me they feel a little better and I think they are some of the best looking irons produced.

How does the finish and laser grooves hold up?

How does the finish and laser grooves hold up?

Finish is made to wear. The grooves wear as well, but I find it is a good guide on striking. The grooves are insane.

I also am a fan of the BP tours. The finish does wear, but the clubs look even better that way.

Could anyone put up a picture of what the wear looks like?

well i bought a 6-iron non-tour bp and had the chance to hit a small bucket after work. the range i frequent is best described as hardpacked dirt and sand covered with a thin layer of grass. a quick wipedown afterwards left no sign at all on the face that i'd been hitting ball. some visible scratches on the sole but nothing compared to the niblick i have that showed a lot of wear after a single range session.
by the way i love the feel of this club, my current set alternates between cobra 3100 i/h's and zing2's. the cg7's have the best feel by far, better, to me, than the machspeeds that i demo'ed last weekend. if i can figure out what specs to order them to (playing around with 1/2" over, 2* up instead of my usual 1" over, 3" up) i will get 7-pw to complete my "set"
good luck

Could anyone put up a picture of what the wear looks like?
I tried to snap some pictures but I can't get them dialed in right to show the detail.

I've had one of the BP wedges since christmas and I've used it for numerous rounds and even more range sessions. It's probably the club I use the most, next to the Driver and Putter. Where the ball strikes the face and also the sole of the club from sweeping or digging into the grass, the finish is more silver than black, but still looks great. I like the finish more now than when I got the club. The laser milling is still visible when the light hits the club right and it's not as visible as when I peeled the plastic off. The grooves still work as well today as when I bought it.

I've only had the irons a couple of weeks, but have played 3 rounds and also some range sessions with them. They still look brand new and I love them. I can't wait for the finish on these to look like my wedges. You'll notice as you first hit these that the silver finish that is under the BP will come through, eventually being more of a blended finish into the BP where you don't hit anything.

That's the best way I know how to describe it.

I don't know how many sets of irons I hit before I decided on the BP's and they were the best in every category important to me (looks, feel, price and performance) and I knew they would last me for several years. You won't be disappointed if you go with these.

nice biggsy, glad that the new sticks are treating you well. can't wait to see some pics when you get them dialed in. the bp's are probably the most intriguing irons for me in a long time. no matter what i'm in the golf shop for i always pick those clubs up.

what shafts do you have in yours?

nice biggsy, glad that the new sticks are treating you well. can't wait to see some pics when you get them dialed in. the bp's are probably the most intriguing irons for me in a long time. no matter what i'm in the golf shop for i always pick those clubs up.

what shafts do you have in yours?
KBS 130 X-stiff. I did the shaft fitting at Golf Galaxy by Mizuno to confirm what i felt with the testing before purchasing. They are awesome shafts!

Back