Junior Tester for Cleveland - Long Term Review

Great review on these. I am looking forward to hearing more as my daughter is starting to get interested in the game.

Glad to hear Jake's feeling better and back at it. You know were going to want updates until he's on tour and even after that, right? Good stuff Miller, keep it coming.

Junior Tester for Cleveland-Long Term Review

Junior Tester for Cleveland-Long Term Review

Cleveland JR Putter....

With the weather breaking here in Ohio, Jake and I have been getting to the range a little more frequently (twice in the last 4 days). Throw in his basketball tourney that was short lived (Jake had 4 points, 2 steals, 3 assists, and 1 rebound-and the team got WHUPPPED!), and now I can say that Jake has the typical male reaction to spring..."When can I get on the course?"

We decided to head over to Rollandia to hit a few and really concentrate on hitting quality shots. As we walked in to pay for the balls, we noticed that they had their indoor putting area set up (4-5 putting rings spaced out intermitently (sp?) on the carpet. Perfect! this would give us a general feel for the Cleveland JR. Putter. Granted we have putted around in the living room at the house, but nothing that we could really have a decent target and room to lag a few without having to under the sofa or have the dogs and cats chase the moving balls.
DSC00047-1.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

As I've complained before, Jake swiped my SeeMore FGP putter last year. His putting dramitically improved, so I harber only a little ill will towards the child. The Cleveland JR. Putter is a typical childs putter. A considerably smaller head, with weighting spread out (i.e. mallet style to increase MOI is my guess). The finish is a black powder coat finish with a "T" sight line to aid in alignment.
For a junior just starting the game, this putter would be great. But for Jake it was not the best. The ball rolled well, Jake made several putts with it, but soon went back to the SeeMore while saying " this one's easier to line up". Now granted, this is coming from a 9 yr old. After stroking putts for another 45 minutes we decided to head home. While travelling, I asked Jake his overall thoughts of the putter. "The grip is way too thin, and it feels too light". We then discussed why the weight issue would be good/bad for him.
As we got out of the vehicle, he asked if he could start taking lessons. My heart started pounding with sheer pride and excitement. I asked him "why"" (just wanting to make sure that I had heard him right). His response..."I want to get better so I can test more clubs...and beat you".

His first lesson is today @ 5:00.

I think I might be in trouble this year

More on his progress later.

Marc & Jake

Thanks for the update it sounds like you have a real challenge on your hands to not get beat by him.

This awesome. Very interesting to me so keep updating us on your son's progress.

My son is about to turn 2 and he is already showing interest in golf. I cut an old pitching wedge off for him and he tries to swing it. It is quite comical but he manages to get the club on the ball more often than not. He is also quite good at chasing Daddy's chips in the backyard!

For those reading the long term review, you know that Jake talked me into buying him actual lessons just a couple of weeks ago. This was the biggest mistake of my life! I am doomed to be beaten senseless by a 9 yr old!. The first lesson was the standard "let's see what you can do" lesson, complete with video and all that wonderful stuff. I got to sit in, and answer several questions that Jake didn't know how to answer.
Jim Rue is one of the teaching pro's at Rollandia Golf and Games, in Kettering (right down the road from us here in Centerville). He seems to have a knack of dealing with kids (or maybe just takes quite a bit of valium). He's very even tempered and seems to explain most everything in its basic form. Not trying to use big words when a small one will do. Jake instantly responded to his questions and was put at ease almost as quickly as we walked in.
Jim was very impressed with not only Jake's swing, but also the equipment that Jake was using. Jake bemmed with pride as he explained that he was "testing" for THP. Jim looked over the clubs and seemed genuinely impressed with the overall quality and feel of the clubs. He was even more impressed with Jake's swing.

After Jake went through the bag with about 3-5 shots for each club. Jim then video taped Jake form several angles. Jake hit almost every shot solid, but had a tendancy to hook the hell of them. Jim adjusted Jake's grip which made all the difference in the world. Jake then striped the next 5-6 shots straight and true. We then broke for a minute to review the video on the computer. Jim was clicking away showing Jake's swing from several angles, drawing in lines showing that he was "on plane" and "get's a bit wide here". I still can't pry the clubs out of Jake's hands everyday. Constantly chipping and pitching in the backyard, and swinging in slow motion, looking like he's deep in thought about what Jim has given hm to work on.
This Friday starts Jake's spring break (Thank God he's not old enough to ask if he can go to Cancun yet...But I know that day is coming). I've made plans for Jake, Myself and fellow THP'er BDLorton to go play our first round (Both BDL and I have been out several times, but Jake still has school to contend with). I'll be sure to recap the round and get Jake's feedback on actual "course performance" for the Cleveland Junior Launcher set.

Until then....
How many strokes should a 9 yr old give me?

I absolutely LOVE the update Miller, that is great stuff! Sounds like Jake is really taking to the game. You may have a future superstar there. I can't wait to hear how the round goes.

Great update Miller. Jake is doing so well and loving practicing. You've got good reason to worry about him beating you someday!

This is great--I can't wait to read about your round.

Jake's First Official Round of 2010.

With the boy being on Spring Break, and my workload under control, we decided to get in a round to kick off his time off. Fellow THPer BDLorton join Jake and I for a pleasant round at Majestic Springs Golf Course. Majestic Springs is off the beaten path near Wilmington, OH. Probably only 5-6 years old, always seems to be in great shape. A very "linksy" style of course that plays mostly North and South, through meadows and and the edge of a forest. Water comes into play on 4-5 holes with a small pond and a creek that winds around the first nine.
All 3 of us were anxious to get out to play, with the above average temps that we have been having, the green of new growth was really "popping".

Jake played fantastic. He played from the forward tee's which was still a bit long for him but he compensated quite well using the 15degree not only as his driver, but as a fairway wood also. He hit all but 5 fairways (better than me on that day). Though his GIR's were limited to 3 of the 4 par threes, he played so much better than his last round back in the fall. He started off really strong and the par five's kicked his butt (they were still really long for him). His iron play was decent, but kept pushing it right. His putting was decent, but the best part of his game on that beautiful Friday was his wedge play. Whether it was a pitch or a chip, he seemed to really bear down and have the confidence that he would get the ball close to the hole. I asked him on the way home why that was... His response: "Come on Dad, you know the Cleveland makes the best wedge". We went over the round at dinner, and his thoughts were (other than being exhausted)... "Did you see that drive on #1? I crushed it, and it was STRAIGHT!" and "How 'bout that approach on 9?" Brian(BDLorton) and I laughed at the fact that my son, was talking like a 40yr old who has played the game for years. We then agreed that the Cleveland Junior Launcher set is a hit. Between that and the several lessons that Jake has taken recently, I see him having a great year of golf.

That is awesome!! Are they any courses around that offer a junior monthly pass? When I was growing up we paid $25 a month and I could play as much as I wanted..

Must be great father/son time! Good luck to you both on your golf year!

Jake's First Official Round of 2010.

With the boy being on Spring Break, and my workload under control, we decided to get in a round to kick off his time off. Fellow THPer BDLorton join Jake and I for a pleasant round at Majestic Springs Golf Course. Majestic Springs is off the beaten path near Wilmington, OH. Probably only 5-6 years old, always seems to be in great shape. A very "linksy" style of course that plays mostly North and South, through meadows and and the edge of a forest. Water comes into play on 4-5 holes with a small pond and a creek that winds around the first nine.
All 3 of us were anxious to get out to play, with the above average temps that we have been having, the green of new growth was really "popping".

Jake played fantastic. He played from the forward tee's which was still a bit long for him but he compensated quite well using the 15degree not only as his driver, but as a fairway wood also. He hit all but 5 fairways (better than me on that day). Though his GIR's were limited to 3 of the 4 par threes, he played so much better than his last round back in the fall. He started off really strong and the par five's kicked his butt (they were still really long for him). His iron play was decent, but kept pushing it right. His putting was decent, but the best part of his game on that beautiful Friday was his wedge play. Whether it was a pitch or a chip, he seemed to really bear down and have the confidence that he would get the ball close to the hole. I asked him on the way home why that was... His response: "Come on Dad, you know the Cleveland makes the best wedge". We went over the round at dinner, and his thoughts were (other than being exhausted)... "Did you see that drive on #1? I crushed it, and it was STRAIGHT!" and "How 'bout that approach on 9?" Brian(BDLorton) and I laughed at the fact that my son, was talking like a 40yr old who has played the game for years. We then agreed that the Cleveland Junior Launcher set is a hit. Between that and the several lessons that Jake has taken recently, I see him having a great year of golf.

Long Term Review UPDATE:

Well, Jake has had numerous lessons, and we've got to play a handful of times so far this season. He's absolutely killing it! Blasting drives, Hitting crisp irons, playing great soft shots around the green, then...3 putting. He is on the right line, but with as dry as the season has been (until recently), the greens have been screaming. This makes it a bit hard for the little guy to really get the feel for the green. I feel sorry for him, but realize that "touch" is something that is learned through experience. His teacher (Jim Rue) and I are very happy with his progress, but keep trying to tell Jake that not all putts go in, even when it looks like they are right at the lip of the hole.
We have signed up for a local Adult/Child scramble being held on an upcoming Saturday right before his birthday. When asked what he wanted for his birthday this year, his response.... to putt better at the scramble, oh...and an Ipod Touch like my Chris' (his 23 year old brother).
I'm really hoping for rain to slow the greens a bit. I don't want to fork out $$ for an Ipod Touch.

As Jake is looking over my shoulder as I write this...He wants everyone to know that he is "very thankful" for the opportunity to test the clubs out, and help others get an idea of what great clubs these are.

Until next time....

Marc and Jake:clapp:

man, i love reading your updates. i have an 18 month old and i can't wait for these days. don't get me wrong, i don't want to wish away the time from now til then but it's cool that jake's so into it.

keep up the good work jake, those putts will fall for you, and you're dad's right, you aren't going to make all of them.

I absolutely love the updates. And I especially love to hear that you two are having some great bonding time at the golf course. Wonderful update, thank you so much :smile:

Your updates are great Marc. Thanks for sharing Jake's success with the Cleveland set. :thumb:

Great stuff--I can't wait to hear about the scramble.

Sounds like Jake is really on his way. Great to see juniors fall in love with the game. Does he have any friends that play the game?

Kevin

Update : Adult/Child Best Ball Scramble

We recently participated in an Adult/Child 2 man best ball scramble held at a local par 3 course just on the outskirts of Dayton. Both Jake and I thought this would be the place to see how we both stacked up against other Adult/Child teams. We started off well, Jake was hitting it a bit thin on his full swing, but after 2-3 holes he relaxed and really started hitting it well. I, on the other hand, could not hit the broad side of a barn if I was standing inside it. My aim was off, I felt like I had no idea of what was going on. I kept telling Jake "No pressure partner", which he would give me the standard kid response of "Gee, Thanks Dad!"
Both of our putters were stone cold. We short stroked a couple, lipped out a couple and had no clue of how to make them fall. Jake ws feeling awful about his putting until the last hole. A 75 yd hourglass shaped green that sloped front to back. The team we were playing with hit decent shots to within about 15 ft. My shot was at about 8ft. Jake gets up and puts the ball 2ft from the hole for our only birdie of the day. Seeing the shot that hit was worth the entry fee. Seeing the smile on his face as he tapped it in....Priceless.

Love your updates miller. Glad to hear that you all had fun!

Your updates are great Miller! Great to hear about Jake hitting a great shot that made his (and your) day!

This almost makes me want to have kids!! Great updates Miller!

I have yet to stray up to Dayton to play golf. The way you talked about Majestic Springs, I think I might have to!

Junior Tester Long Term Review

Junior Tester Long Term Review

Vacation Golf (or Golfing with the MOUSE)

This year was one of the great years we decided to re-visit Disney World. Jake, his older brother and sister, mother and father (that's me) went the first week of July to the Happiest Place On Earth (supposedly). Jake and I had conspired during the planning stages of this venture to sneak away once or twice from the rest of the family to get some golf in. I was lucky enough on our last "Mouse Visit" to play the Palm, and after Jake saw it on GC's Big Break Disney, he begged me to let him play it this time around also (a 10 yr old wanting to give up time in one of the parks to play golf with his dad...He makes me so proud).

We played, we sweated, we played some more, we sweated even more. Who'd a thunk it???? July + Florida=dropping 15 lbs around due to sweat. Back to the point....
Jake played wonderfully for his first time around the Palm. Booming drives(160+ was his best), crisp iron shots, a great feel around the green. Too bad his putter did not really do him justice. He played respectable (better than I did), but the overall best part was seeing the look on his face when I pointed out the pro tee's. The Blue tee's play at 7011 yards, no telling what the Black tee's play at. I estimated 7300-7400. He was amazed at the length of the course. He was also very interested in the gator that was watching us on the bank of one of the many water hazards. After the round, we walked around the clubhouse seeing all of the memorabilia from the Pro tournaments (it's changed names numerous times, but the pro's just call it Disney).
Jake was very impressed with the overall experience (He's still not sure whether the gator would have eaten him or not). He also commented on the staff and how nice everyone was. From the starter to the guy who cleaned our clubs when we were done, everyone treated Jake with respect and asked him how he was doing or how he played. I think that made the biggest impression on him. I let him know that was the way everyone should behave around the game of golf (it also helped that it was at Disney.
Everytime that we have played since our round at Disney, he compares the course and the staff to what we experienced there.

Our next venture is heading up to Akron next week for the WGC Bridgestone Invitanional. With Akron being only 3 or so hours from us, I think it will be a good way for him to wind down his summer break (and way for him to see how his game compares to the pro's).

Until next time....
Marc & Jake

101_1156.jpg

Jake teeing off on #5

101_1153.jpg

"the gator in question"

101_1158.jpg

Me-Trying to tee off

Back